Subaru Outback Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
3,237 Posts
Subaru logo on 2013 is actually not on a rear deck - it's on a trim panel that is affixed to the rear deck. That trim panel is not that sturdy and, if I am not mistaken, there are some problems with that panel (see previous posts) whereas the panel moves or expands at high heat and chips the paint around the rear brake lights. There is a service bulletin or even recall on those flimsy panels...
Closing the rear deck by grabbing the Subaru logo is therefore not advisable... in my humble opinion!
My 2011 has a similar trim panel, though I guess it may be a slightly different design. No issues so far with using the logo to PUSH. No grabbing there and it's not like there needs to be a LOT of pressure.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,523 Posts
My 2011 has a similar trim panel, though I guess it may be a slightly different design. No issues so far with using the logo to PUSH. No grabbing there and it's not like there needs to be a LOT of pressure.
Not sure if it's just my model, but my 2013 OB needs quite a push/pull/slam to close that lid - the hydraulic lifters are quite stiff and the locking mechanism is quite "tight" ..... if I don't "slam" it properly, the lid would not latch/close completely. From what I hear from other 2013 OB owners, they are experiencing the same or similar...

·
Registered
'13 OB 3.6R Ltd
196 Posts
my '13 ob 3.6r ltd took a while for the rear hatch to break-in. at the dealership during pickup the rear hatch needed a good firm slam to get it to close. now it's fine. normal effort to get it to close.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
To help ease operation liftgate, perhaps a little stanchion lube would do the trick. It's made for Mountain bike shocks but I used it on my previous car's hatch. It wouldn't open smoothly and the lube really made it buttery smooth. In fact I should apply some to my OB just to make it feel a little more slick.

Stanchion lube

That plus a striker plate adjustment can go a long way. My OB used to occasionally tell me that my hatch was ajar even after slamming it. the striker was set too far forward.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts