Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4, Gen 2 H6's: 2001 LLBean, 2002 LLBean, 2002 VDC, 2003 Plain...I love the H6's!
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I bought my fourth Gen 2 with the H6. My wife and I need to drive to separate workplaces, and we now have two teenage kids in our household that need to drive to separate work places while away from school during the summer, so we now own four Gen 2 H6's.

The most recent H6 popped up on our local craigslist and I responded within 2 hours of when the post was made. The seller said he had appointments to show the car to two other parties after me that day, so he wasn't willing to drop his asking price much. The car belonged to his grandfather. It has 92K miles, zero fluid leaks, new all-season tires, and new windshield. The seller was a diesel mechanic. He had already changed the fluids throughout, as well as replaced a noisy idler pulley on the serpentine belt. The carfax indicated the car has been dealer-maintained, so I couldn't resist the purchase!

My wife told me we're done buying Subarus for now, so I should stop looking around for them :grin2:

Happy driving all!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,340 Posts
you could hit the link next to the question mark in my signature and detail what you got. (about my car thing appears at the left under your name)

all H6 are not created equal.

cloth seats, LLBeans/Limited, VDC.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,077 Posts
I love driving my WRX. Everyday. Can't imagine driving anything else. I'm certain it looks stupid for a guy in his mid-60s to be zooming around in it. It deserves a better owner/driver. It stays outside, is dirty, has a misaligned bumper, bad clear bra that needs to be removed.... needs some cosmetic TLC but - I love it.

Honestly, I might sell or trade it away before my wife's Outback.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,151 Posts
Dunno if I have an addiction. I have one, and I really enjoy driving him whenever something is not needing attention (thanks previous owner!) dunno if I'll end up with another though. I'd love to get my hands on a Gen 3 H6 eventually. Dat 5EAT and extra 40 HP.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,340 Posts
Dunno if I have an addiction. I have one, and I really enjoy driving him whenever something is not needing attention (thanks previous owner!) dunno if I'll end up with another though. I'd love to get my hands on a Gen 3 H6 eventually. Dat 5EAT and extra 40 HP.
2010-14 = MORE torque. better suspension.

when you test drive a 2005-2009 after getting out of your 2001-04 and just leave the newer one in auto "D".
you will realize your older one is just as fast. ...and one more in the gearbox does not make for a "quantum leap".

If I had my choice, next car would be a 2011-14 legacy 3.6, with a lift to outback height. (just avoiding the 2010 for first year silliness or any oiling problems).

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,833 Posts
I fit much better into my forester than I did in my 03 outback, my back is much happier.

It would be pretty cool to put a 4.44 geared H6 into a forester, i think.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,340 Posts
I fit much better into my forester than I did in my 03 outback, my back is much happier.

It would be pretty cool to put a 4.44 geared H6 into a forester, i think.
try convincing NYS that is a native engine and ECU when you plug in annually at inspection time.

in 2022 you can find a 1998 forester and start the project. = such will be 25 years old then. = antique,...so exempt.....maybe.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
try convincing NYS that is a native engine and ECU when you plug in annually at inspection time.

in 2022 you can find a 1998 forester and start the project. = such will be 25 years old then. = antique,...so exempt.....maybe.
At least I'm in the area where they only hook up and check for codes, no sniffing! (yet)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,340 Posts
At least I'm in the area where they only hook up and check for codes, no sniffing! (yet)
but when they plug in and see the ECU is not a EJ25....I think you won't be able to pass.

________

and the only places I knew that use to get the tail pipe sniffer was Orange/Rockland/Westchester/NYC/ and maybe long island.

= the places that had "dirty" air.

but I don't know if they still do it.

and I know you could just drive to a more rural county and get a plain old inspection,
with your car that was registered in the southern counties.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
but when they plug in and see the ECU is not a EJ25....I think you won't be able to pass.

________

and the only places I knew that use to get the tail pipe sniffer was Orange/Rockland/Westchester/NYC/ and maybe long island.

= the places that had "dirty" air.

but I don't know if they still do it.

and I know you could just drive to a more rural county and get a plain old inspection,
with your car that was registered in the southern counties.
Yep, just counting my blessings!

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback VDC
25 Posts
Last week I bought my fourth Gen 2 with the H6. My wife and I need to drive to separate workplaces, and we now have two teenage kids in our household that need to drive to separate work places while away from school during the summer, so we now own four Gen 2 H6's.

The most recent H6 popped up on our local craigslist and I responded within 2 hours of when the post was made. The seller said he had appointments to show the car to two other parties after me that day, so he wasn't willing to drop his asking price much. The car belonged to his grandfather. It has 92K miles, zero fluid leaks, new all-season tires, and new windshield. The seller was a diesel mechanic. He had already changed the fluids throughout, as well as replaced a noisy idler pulley on the serpentine belt. The carfax indicated the car has been dealer-maintained, so I couldn't resist the purchase!

My wife told me we're done buying Subarus for now, so I should stop looking around for them :grin2:

Happy driving all!
Hi this is Vinny. I also have an Gen 2 H6 addiction. So much so about 2 years ago I started a Subaru Outback Gen 2 H6 Group. Your welcome to join our H6 group with many such as us!

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback VDC
25 Posts

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Belated response- I loved my '03 LL bean (wish it had been lighter) but I fit much better in a Forester.
A 4.44 geared forester H6 would be interesting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts