Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone get their outback stuck????

Last Tuesday night I drove home from the Mass Northshore to Portland Maine. It took me 3 hrs (normally 1 hr 20 min.)!!!! We had a horrible storm, white out conditions, bad wind, no visibility, and it was sheer ice under a layer of snow, and heavy snow. I passed seven accidents. It was actually kind of fun and a challenge, all you could see were shadows when you came up on them. But i drove sensibly the entire way home. When I got off my exit the back roads had not been plowed!!! And the snow was up past my bumper. I had to basically plow my way in, is that really bad for the car? Anyway, I get to my drive where i had to make a sharp turn and couldn't get enough speed to make the turn, and got stuck!!!! I drove 3 hours in that storm and got stck at the end of my driveway!!!!! Luckily it only took me a minute of snow removal and cruised right in.

Anyone else get stuck? Or am I just a fool!!! (don't really answer that last part!)

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
I got stuck once in the winter of '03 making my own parking spot in a full lot at a college...I got into the snowy spot without a problem...getting out was another story. 2 front wheels were snowpacked and 2 rear wheels were on ice-covered pavement. Had to call AAA to come winch me out.
Quite embarassing...but it was fun making the spot nonetheless. Times like those I really wish I had a portable winch.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
holly13 said:
Anyone get their outback stuck????

Last Tuesday night I drove home from the Mass Northshore to Portland Maine. It took me 3 hrs (normally 1 hr 20 min.)!!!! We had a horrible storm, white out conditions, bad wind, no visibility, and it was sheer ice under a layer of snow, and heavy snow. I passed seven accidents. It was actually kind of fun and a challenge, all you could see were shadows when you came up on them. But i drove sensibly the entire way home. When I got off my exit the back roads had not been plowed!!! And the snow was up past my bumper. I had to basically plow my way in, is that really bad for the car? Anyway, I get to my drive where i had to make a sharp turn and couldn't get enough speed to make the turn, and got stuck!!!! I drove 3 hours in that storm and got stck at the end of my driveway!!!!! Luckily it only took me a minute of snow removal and cruised right in.

Anyone else get stuck? Or am I just a fool!!! (don't really answer that last part!)
Never in my Outback! (knock on wood) :25:

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
All kidding aside, I have never got stuck yet, and I drive on a hilly and twisty dirt road everyday, and it isn't always plowed when I come through.

Lots of people get stuck on this road, even they all drive AWD or 4WD vehicles. I often find myslef pulling them out of trouble.

Put some good snow tires on your OB and it will be almost invincible, unless you perch it on top of a snow bank with the wheels in the air.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've never gotten the Subaru stuck due to my own misjudgment...However, I have been forced off the road into a ditch. Earlier this winter I was returning from a backcountry skiing trip on a snowpacked, windy forest road. I came around a corner and was confronted with an SUV partly in my lane and traveling way too fast. In addition, the fellow was towing a snowmobile on a trailer which was, due to his excessive speed, sliding laterally at an odd angle behind his vehicle. Needless to say, my options were to hit his trailer or put myself in the ditch.

I opted for the ditch...and probably could have escaped without the winch, except that both of my road side tires were airborne.

Oddly enough, once I caught my breath and looked around to access my situation I discovered that I wasn't the only victim of this SUV. There were two cars in the ditch in front of me, within a few hundred feet, and he'd knocked the bumper clean off one of them with his wayward trailer.

On a similar note, a few weekends ago I was down at Wolf Creek Pass (a great family owned ski area and probably one of the snowiest places in CO) and fortunate enough to see about 35in. of snow in two days. The ski area didn't have much opportunity to plow their lots, so I had the wonderful opportunity to see two H2s, a Suburban and numerous smaller SUVs stuck. The subaru did great.

sj

·
Administrator
4,270 Posts
Sly... WTF happened there?!? :eek: :jester:

I've been stuck twice in mine, once burried in mud and once top centered in snow. Got unstucked in mud via John Deere 9900 and via V-8 Toyota 4Runner in snow... neither was very purdy :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
Holly ya did a great job, nothing to be ashamed about. Maine can be a pretty inhospitable place in the winter. That was an excellent test and now you know what your subaru can do!:29:

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
I got stuck once, in about 12 inches of packed snowplow ridge. Believe it or not I got bumper-pushed out by a Buick Century, who then got stuck. So I bumper-pushed him out and we both went on our way.

One other thing - once I was backing into a driveway that spanned a roadside ditch. One front wheel went into the ditch a bit, and the car leaned to that side. I didn't know I had a rear wheel in the air until I felt the thud of it going back on the ground. Didn't get stuck, though.

Would have made a cool video clip *G*

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Hero said:
Sly... WTF happened there?!? :eek: :jester:

I've been stuck twice in mine, once burried in mud and once top centered in snow. Got unstucked in mud via John Deere 9900 and via V-8 Toyota 4Runner in snow... neither was very purdy :D
Hero: that was a blizzard in Eastern Europe last week, chek the "Maybe if I had snow tires..." thread.

Back in January I pulled a brand new 4400lbs V8 4Runner out of the snow bank.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
I have never been stuck in my mini-Outback, but this year 12" of fresh snow made me stop. Then reverse pulled me out of the problem and then I kept moving. Brian

·
Registered
195 Posts
Liked the picture of the car boxed into all that frozen precip! That must've been an exhaustive effort.

I had noticed this discussion before and hadn't taken the time out to read it until now.

Just today in my OBS I misjudged the driveway turnaround, which is on a hillside, and had a front wheel over the edge and a rear wheel hardly touching the ground. Might've had a chance if it weren't that it has new fill dirt, or rather clay, and it rained last night. Was trying to pack it down by driving along the edge while keeping watch out my window. Just as I got onto it I realized the tire was sinking too much and the front end slid sideways on the slick stuff. :eek:

Making matters worse was the fact I would have had to backup in an uphill direction to get out and both the driver side wheels were already on the edge, so the only good wheel was the passenger front side sitting firmly on slippery clay. :rolleyes:

Called my Dad over to pull it out with his Jeep Cherokee. Wasn't the first time I got stuck on the edge of my driveway but that was a GMC truck with only rear wheel drive in basically the same predicament except at a different place along the gravel driveway.

Not sure if your bigger Outbacks would have made a difference in this case but I definitely thought about the Impreza being light enough to not continue sinking down into the soft dirt. Needless to say I stopped the moment I knew I was in trouble. Something I should have done last time I got too close to the edge and needed a tow truck instead.

Speaking of snow... looks like it ain't gonna happen here this winter! Sure was wanting to give the OBS a try in that kind of weather.

P.S. I better wait until I get gravel on that dirt!

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Although our cars are a few hundred lbs heavier, we also have bigger tires, so I'm not sure it qould make much difference.

However, some subies, like my OBXT have a limited slip rear differential. Do you have one on yours?

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
snow

I've been stuck about 4 times now in snow .Usually highcentered ,offtrack wet snow ,refrozen stuff and dug out in five. Now you know why I am lifted.....so I can get more stuck in deeper snow........DOH!! chains and shovel a must!

·
Registered
195 Posts
The_Lizard said:
Sounds like you should have a come-a-long, aka fence tensioner.
Have one, only two trees I could have used might've risked causing the car to either twist or pull farther off into the soft filldirt and over the edge more. At least without more than a single cable or rope.

FastSly, nope, this Impreza Outback Sport didn't have it. Was just buying it off the dealership lot without adding options that weren't already with it. I figured the AWD was a vast enough improvement over rear wheel drive anyhow, not even having owned a front wheel drive before.

I'll keep in mind about trying not to high-center the car onto anything, including deep snow if I ever drive in any. Only other time I did that it wasn't snow, it was a concrete parking block way back when I was still a kid, trying to get to a drive-in food place from an adjacent parking lot. ;) I'm usually very cautious.

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Well...in case there was any doubt, now you're sure all 4 wheels spin at the same time!

The thing I've noticed is...AWD is great for not getting stuck, but once you are stuck, you're REALLY stuck as all 4 wheels are spinning and digging you deeper.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
YIKES! Chains and all. How long did it take you to get unstuck?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
14 Participants
The_Lizard
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing