Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Wagon
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever see anyone do something like that? The idea just popped into my head, Because i want some aftermarket speakers but i don't want to lose the room in my car...

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT PZEV
225 Posts
With a vehicle I previously owned, I had subwoofers under the rear seats. The sound was great and they basically took up zero "usable" space.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
In my 2004 L.L. Bean I had an 8" Sub just barely fitting under the passenger's seat. Problem with that car is how little space there was under the seat...

In my 2008 I have the factory sub under the driver's seat.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In my 2004 L.L. Bean I had an 8" Sub just barely fitting under the passenger's seat. Problem with that car is how little space there was under the seat...

In my 2008 I have the factory sub under the driver's seat.
What size sub did you have in the 04?

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium
515 Posts
Sub ONLY under a seat. Bass isn't nearly as affected by blockage to the listening area and absorption from materisal as midrange and tweeters.

Subie has an under-the-seat subwoofer available after market. JL Audio also makes one. I don't know if it fits, but it's a far higher quality brand. Look for JL Audio dealers - they are usually a pretty smart set.

EDIT: I'm saying only a sub should be placed under a seat - but not saying that is the only place it should go. There are other placements that would likely sound better. Never put any speaker except a subwoofer or transducer under a seat.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Eh i figured i'd have to take the seat out to install it anyway.
Right, but even when you do that it's a tight fit. On the passenger's side, the seat is more difficult to move back and forth once the sub is installed. It didn't mess with any cables or connectors for the air bag, heated seat, etc., but it's not 100% ideal. I don't think it would fit under the driver's seat. I believe there is slightly less room due to the motor for the power seat.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
You do not want to have mids or tweeters under the seat, because as you rise in frequency, the placement and direction of the speaker becomes more critical for a good sound image. The way sound propagates is your limitation. That's why the stock tweeters are usually located at the front corner of the windows on the doors or the pillars in newer cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts