Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2011 2.5 CVT Premium
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a cross-country vacation/road trip in the next year or two, and I'm wondering how paractical it might be to spend a few nights here and there sleeping in my Outback.

I'm a nature/landscape photographer (hobbyist) and often need to wake up very early to get to a location before dawn. So, if I can sleep at/near the shooting location, it could possibly be ideal. Saving on a night's lodging here and there would just be a bonus. :29:

So, has anyone slept overnight in their Outback? If so, are there any tips or recommended products to make it as comfortable as possible? I'll be traveling alone and figure that perhaps I could sleep on the passenger side with the seats down?

Any thoughts/recommendations on this would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5
54 Posts
I kayak and have slept in the Outback plenty. I use a blow-up mattress and it fits fine with the back seats down of course.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, EyeSight & Nav.
565 Posts
I'm 6'2 and weigh 185lbs, and could easily sleep in the back of my OB, and plan on it. Couldn't do it in my '06 Forester though. Just make sure you take into consideration how your gear will be packed. Having a roof top cargo box like a Yakima or Thule box will really free up your cargo/sleep area and make it more comfortable.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,388 Posts
Futon mattress or a light inflatable one, and they are fine for sleeping.

·
Registered
2011 outback,2.5 Ruby Red
209 Posts
I sleep in it 1-2weeks at a time. I have a 3" foam pad 4lb. den and my sleeping bag. All my gear goes in my sky box, 1gal. of H2o for brushing & washing my hair. Take my showers in the State Parks or the "Y" depending where I am. Have a small cook stove for coffee in the AM. Have 2 touch lights in the back for night reading & get the2 Subaru side cargo nets for the rear, there great for storing stuff(easy install).

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
yes - the "bump" where the seat folds down is annoying so the pads and suggestions like that are helpful.

also try to get as flat as possible, what looks like no big deal parking looks different when you're lying down for shut eye.

·
Registered
1998 Subaru Outback (soon a 2013)
33 Posts
I sometimes sleep in my Outback, but when I swerve into the other lane I usually wake up again :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
My wife and daughter sleep back there and I am on the ground for car camping- memory foam from Overstock.com makes a big difference.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,284 Posts
i'm thinking of doing something similar except with my 2 boys (5 & 7 yrs old). i think the OBwill be too cramp.... probably better using the wife's minivan for this.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premium 2.5i
216 Posts
Extra Interior Space for Sleeping

Here is what I made that makes it much more comfortable if you need the full length of the back area to sleep. I use my 2.5" ThermaRest and a light sleeping bag and I'm right at home.

Cargo Platform

·
Registered
2013, 2.5I, Limited+eyesight
110 Posts
I'm planning a cross-country vacation/road trip in the next year or two, and I'm wondering how paractical it might be to spend a few nights here and there sleeping in my Outback.

I'm a nature/landscape photographer (hobbyist) and often need to wake up very early to get to a location before dawn. So, if I can sleep at/near the shooting location, it could possibly be ideal. Saving on a night's lodging here and there would just be a bonus. :29:

So, has anyone slept overnight in their Outback? If so, are there any tips or recommended products to make it as comfortable as possible? I'll be traveling alone and figure that perhaps I could sleep on the passenger side with the seats down?

Any thoughts/recommendations on this would be great. Thanks!

Why not try a roof top tent?
I think it is the best solution for your case.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
I prefer the front seat, if you can get it all the way down by moving it forward, it's not completely flat but good enough for me.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5 Premium Steel Silver
25 Posts
I have slept a couple of night in the OB. Biggest complaint is that the rear seats have a slight uphill slope when folded down. It still gets telegraphed thru an air mattress. No biggie and it's definitely nice being high & dry vs a tent. +1 to using a Rooftop Carrier to get the gear out of the back of the vehicle. You can only pile it "so high" on one side. ;)

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
All kidding aside I only slept in the back of one car over all the years I did camping trips - that was in my 4runner during a fast solo road trip - drive and check stuff out till the sun goes down then beg my way into a state campground - shower up - crash out and roll out of there early the next morning.

For actual camping I really like my three season two man tent which stays bone dry in the worst of storms - and a small single inflatable bed with a nice heavy blanket over it then my sleeping bag on top of that makes for an awesome bed after a day of exploring and having fun. The ten sets up in about 5 minutes and breaks down in about 5 minutes with two hands takes longer to shift junk around in the car for what was a some what uncomfortable place to sleep.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
I have slept a couple of night in the OB. Biggest complaint is that the rear seats have a slight uphill slope when folded down. It still gets telegraphed thru an air mattress. No biggie and it's definitely nice being high & dry vs a tent. +1 to using a Rooftop Carrier to get the gear out of the back of the vehicle. You can only pile it "so high" on one side. ;)
Not sure about the Gen4s, but by flipping the cushion of the back seat up, you can get the seats in a 2nd Gen Outback to fold flat.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Outback LTM
48 Posts
I slept in my 2000 OB for years at regattas, but a couple of years ago I discovered that a low (6" or so off the ground) camp cot fit in the passenger side if you moved the seat forward as well as tilted it. I needed to place a crate behind the seat for the front leg to sit on but it was far more comfortable than sleeping on a thermorest pad and allowed some storage under the cot. Since the dimensions from the tailgate to the back of the front seats are similar I would think the cot would fit in the Gen 4 the same, I just haven't tried it as yet.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I slept in my 2000 OB for years at regattas, but a couple of years ago I discovered that a low (6" or so off the ground) camp cot fit in the passenger side if you moved the seat forward as well as tilted it. I needed to place a crate behind the seat for the front leg to sit on but it was far more comfortable than sleeping on a thermorest pad and allowed some storage under the cot. Since the dimensions from the tailgate to the back of the front seats are similar I would think the cot would fit in the Gen 4 the same, I just haven't tried it as yet.
Good idea - been eyeing the cots at costco when they have them. I've never owned one LOL

For sure that would be a better way to sleep vs the lumpy floor etc.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts