Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Touring w/ Eyesight
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a late 2016 with warping side-rails. I know this has been discussed before - some can't stand them, some don't care. I've been trying to tell myself it doesn't matter but they stare at me right at eye-level when I approach the car, and have been getting progressively worse - even though I live in a temporate climate and park underground. Supposedly Subaru had them redesigned slightly with the new ones being used well-before my car was supposed to have been built. But since my car is a Canadian model (with a different VIN sequence), I'm wondering if I got stuck with old-inventory rails when they were assembling my run of vehicles. I also read somewhere in one of these threads that there was another (more complete?) redesign later in 2017, but I'm not sure where I found that or how true that is.

So my question is - if I were to accept the risk of having the headliner pulled and reinstalled to get new roof rails, I'm wondering what is the chance I'll end up with the same warping problem again (for the record mine both warp in what appears to be the most common area, at the tail end of the front 'hump' where the gasket meets the sheetmetal. They were also near non-existant when the car was new but developed over time.) Have any 2017 or 2018 owners noticed this happening on their cars? Or, how did replaced units on older vehicles hold up? I've casually eyeballed other more recent model Outbacks and haven't noticed any with this problem yet, so I'm thinking maybe Subaru's got it solved. Here's to hoping....

·
Registered
2019 Limited 2.5 Magnetite Grey, 5th Outback
74 Posts
I had the issue on my 16. There was a service bulletin out, so the dealer was required to replace the racks no charge. I had no issues post replacement, the new racks did not have nor develop that same issue. They also did a nice job on removing and replacing the headliner, all clean and not evident of any work done.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
900 Posts
You will always run a risk when you pull down the HL.
It depends on the person doing it

·
Registered
My wifes 2016 2.5 LTD W/ Everything -and 2" Eco-hitch
189 Posts
I would just try some 2 sided tape - before buying a new car. If you buy a new car, get the Touring in case it happens again, then you wont need another new car, again. It could get expensive:)
They have to pull the headliner to replace those?

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited, Option 21 package, oem hitch, oem remote starter, Pearl
14 Posts
My 2017 has this issue. I was not initially pleased with it. After my roof and hood were replaced due to a major hail storm, I now drive the car like it was meant to be driven, and care very little for this cosmetic issue.

The repaint of the hood had me a little upset as its not perfect after the storm, but it looks good. I've come to grips with the cosmetic defects of the roof rail gaping. Enjoy the AWD, the 2.5 fuel efficiency, heated leather seats, and what I like to call a "shift on the fly 6 speed without a clutch."

You really can shift around the CVT while in auto mode with the paddle shifters to engine brake and downshift on the fly which I really like. In short, enjoy the car, drive it, time will heal those feelings looking at the roof rail gap. It did for me, and I'm as meticulous as the next.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts