Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
@RocketMan20 raised an intriguing idea - people who have upgraded their HK system could sell their old speakers to those of us who have the base system, or the RF upgrade.

Anyone got pics of HK speakers that they removed?

For reference, the stock base front door speakers from the Onyx look like this:

Stock dash speakers:

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight (Spouse's Vehicle) 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited (daughter's ride)
501 Posts
The "HK" speakers may not sound well without the "HK" amplifier setup...

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The "HK" speakers may not sound well without the "HK" amplifier setup...
For sure sticking the HK speakers into the base system won't give you the HK system's sound, but anything is better than the stock base speakers.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited, Ice Silver/Titanium Gray Leather Interior
269 Posts
I wonder what the HK speakers look like too? Why? The HK system sounds great, but what if a simple speaker upgrade would make it even better? If anyone has pics of the HK system speakers, I'd love to see them.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,182 Posts
@RocketMan20 raised an intriguing idea - people who have upgraded their HK system could sell their old speakers to those of us who have the base system, or the RF upgrade.

Anyone got pics of HK speakers that they removed?

For reference, the stock base front door speakers from the Onyx look like this:

View attachment 479370

View attachment 479371
im blocking you for continuing to post that offensive excuse for a speaker.
???‍♀?
??

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,893 Posts
. According to the HK website the HK system for 2020 consists of :

1 ×
80mm high-efficiency wide dispersion midrange speaker
22 ×80mm midrange speaker with 16mm tweeter unity extended bandwith speaker
32 ×7 x 10 inch high-efficiency midwoofer, and 7 x 10 inch subwoofer
42 ×170mm Coaxial high-efficiency midwoofer with 25mm tweeter
51 ×8-channel high-efficiency GreenEdge amplifier

I don't see any currently for sale in the US but did find this auction ( in Lituania :) for a system out of a 18' with what I believe would be some decently representitive pictures. The speakers seem the be the same size and makeup anyway. ( I looked into my rear door grills and confirmed that mine use the same swiss cheese looking tweeter bridges) Not great detail here but it would give you an idea of what you would get (IF you could find some reasonably priced takeoffs.) I have to admit, the build/ magnets do look more substatial than that of the anemic door speaker you posted.
ps. To take the thought further, could the HK amp and Sub be used with the base system as well?? Sure would be nice if they published specs for any of this stuff anywhere!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
. According to the HK website the HK system for 2020 consists of :

1 ×
80mm high-efficiency wide dispersion midrange speaker
22 ×80mm midrange speaker with 16mm tweeter unity extended bandwith speaker
32 ×7 x 10 inch high-efficiency midwoofer, and 7 x 10 inch subwoofer
42 ×170mm Coaxial high-efficiency midwoofer with 25mm tweeter
51 ×8-channel high-efficiency GreenEdge amplifier

I don't see any currently for sale in the US but did find this auction ( in Lituania :) for a system out of a 18' with what I believe would be some decently representitive pictures. The speakers seem the be the same size and makeup anyway. ( I looked into my rear door grills and confirmed that mine use the same swiss cheese looking tweeter bridges) Not great detail here but it would give you an idea of what you would get (IF you could find some reasonably priced takeoffs.) I have to admit, the build/ magnets do look more substatial than that of the anemic door speaker you posted.
ps. To take the thought further, could the HK amp and Sub be used with the base system as well?? Sure would be nice if they published specs for any of this stuff anywhere!

thats more than I could find at the end of last year - their site only had the last gen system details. Still doesnt really tell you about the quality of said speakers but at least there are some true co-axial speakers in there and not just the dual cone crap.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight (Spouse's Vehicle) 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited (daughter's ride)
501 Posts
For sure sticking the HK speakers into the base system won't give you the HK system's sound, but anything is better than the stock base speakers.
You can't assume that the "HK" speakers have the appropriate impedance for the standard head unit nor whether or not they are voice (relative to crossovers, etc.) to be compatible. It may be safer to go third party for that reason.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
You can't assume that the "HK" speakers have the appropriate impedance for the standard head unit nor whether or not they are voice (relative to crossovers, etc.) to be compatible. It may be safer to go third party for that reason.
I mean, we can just look at the specs......oh wait.

yeah, we dont even know where the crossovers are (in the head unit or the speakers (like on coaxial - though I think the speakers are all being fed a specific frequency range)) . I know - its complicated.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
thats more than I could find at the end of last year - their site only had the last gen system details. Still doesnt really tell you about the quality of said speakers but at least there are some true co-axial speakers in there and not just the dual cone crap.
Agreed. the description has also been updated . The first web page I found called the rear speaker a Mid-woofer ( which is the same as the front door speaker descriptions). It's now refered to as a subwoofer. On that note I will say that I can hear lower frequencies coming out of that "sub" but at near rock bottom volume. I need to put my ear to the grill to hear anything if the volue is set to anything below 2/3. I believe there is something wrong with the Sub or it's feed.. I have an apointment tomorrow for the ECU recall and I'm going to have them take a look at it. If I can't get that sub to produce some useful tones, it will get replaced.
FWIW, I had emailed HK a month back to try to get some specs on output of the amp, frequency response/ impedience of the speakers etc and got stonewalled. They said to call Subaru (and you know how that loop will work). Best I can figure the 576w advertized is likely max output (as is frequently advertized in an amps.) Cutting that in half should give an approximate value of 288W RMS. Divide that by 8 channels and you get 36W RMS/channel. My bet is that the sub bridges 2-3 channels to feed that bigger driver . I'm guestimating that 36 -50 W RMS is what the speakers are designed to handle. Not allot but in line with what many aftermarket head units were putting out a few years ago. Hopefully that would not be too much for the base head unit to drive. Time to blow the dust off my user name in some audio forums I used to frequent and see what else can be learned before I attempt my own HK system upgrade ( likely this summer.)

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Agreed. the description has also been updated . The first web page I found called the rear speaker a Mid-woofer ( which is the same as the front door speaker descriptions). It's now refered to as a subwoofer. On that note I will say that I can hear lower frequencies coming out of that "sub" but at near rock bottom volume. I need to put my ear to the grill to hear anything if the volue is set to anything below 2/3. I believe there is something wrong with the Sub or it's feed.. I have an apointment tomorrow for the ECU recall and I'm going to have them take a look at it. If I can't get that sub to produce some useful tones, it will get replaced.
FWIW, I had emailed HK a month back to try to get some specs on output of the amp, frequency response/ impedience of the speakers etc and got stonewalled. They said to call Subaru (and you know how that loop will work). Best I can figure the 576w advertized is likely max output (as is frequently advertized in an amps.) Cutting that in half should give an approximate value of 288W RMS. Divide that by 8 channels and you get 36W RMS/channel. My bet is that the sub bridges 2-3 channels to feed that bigger driver . I'm guestimating that 36 -50 W RMS is what the speakers are designed to handle. Not allot but in line with what many aftermarket head units were putting out a few years ago. Hopefully that would not be too much for the base head unit to drive. Time to blow the dust off my user name in some audio forums I used to frequent and see what else can be learned before I attempt my own HK system upgrade ( likely this summer.)
I call dibs on your dash speakers.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I let you know when I get there. That said, if you search "Harman Kardom speaker Outback" on THEBAY, there is a pretty good variaty of used dash and door speakers that should fit. ( Again, not advocating these are your cure. Just encouraging discussion.) Here is an example

From what I can determine, that speaker is part of the 3-speaker harmon kardon dash set where all three speakers are the same, yet there's another set where the left and right speakers are coax and the center is not?

Struggling to make sure it's the correct part number. Did it change for the 2020?

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
From what I can determine, that speaker is part of the 3-speaker harmon kardon dash set where all three speakers are the same, yet there's another set where the left and right speakers are coax and the center is not?

Struggling to make sure it's the correct part number. Did it change for the 2020?
You could be right on the part number. I was just throwing up a sample. There are others.
I don't know if anything changed ( but the pictures of the Lituania ebay set shows 2+1 tweeter configuration if I'm not mistaken.) I can tell you (as verified per the HK webpage chart above) that the 2020 HK Outback system uses 2, 80mm coaxials for the corners and a different 80mm single driver wide dispersion midrange for center dash. I don't know the part numbers but I'm thinking they could be looked up in a subaru parts table on a website somewhere?? Maybe a dealer could get the part number for you?.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,996 Posts

Can't you use the normal 2" tweeters with a back strap in the factory tweeter's location?

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can't you use the normal 2" tweeters with a back strap in the factory tweeter's location?
aahh.. but which normal 2" tweeters? The kappas were too low impedance (2.5 ohms) I'm sure, and the Kickers are almost a guranteed fit with no cutting of wires. It was stupid of me to buy the kappas without thinking. Yes reviews were positive but I didn't want to cut wires and then be unhappy and unable to return them.

I'm similarly intrigued by the HK corner dash speakers - mainly to compare and contrast them to the Kickers before deciding which match best. If it turns out that the Kicker tweeters make the system sound solid enough to me, I won't bother with the HK. There's no reason for me to think they're necessarily better. If no direct-fit replacements were available I'd just leave things the way they are. It doesn't make sense for me to put high-end tweeters in a system that is pre-crippled. I won't have the proper crossovers installed etc.

You know how it is - a mishmash system can sound odd. It could even be that no tweeter at all in the dash is better in this instance, unless the door speakers have a low pass on them in the head unit. I will test and report back my subjective impressions for the curiosity of others. The Kickers are scheduled for arrival between Feb 26 and March 3.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
One thing I've noticed with the HK speakers. At first, they seemed very flat. I was not impressed. However, it seems like they almost needed to break in/get exercised . They sound much better after near 3 mo of constant use ( usually above 1/2 volume.). I will still likely replace them ( just because) but there is no panic to do so now.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
One thing I've noticed with the HK speakers. At first, they seemed very flat. I was not impressed. However, it seems like they almost needed to break in/get exercised . They sound much better after near 3 mo of constant use ( usually above 1/2 volume.). I will still likely replace them ( just because) but there is no panic to do so now.
This is a THING, for those who dont know. I am not sure what determines this as a necessity or not these days, because it used have to be done with many speakes one would buy, and now it doesnt seem talked about as much. I remember in my music studio days, when the woofers (14-16"?) in the extremely huge mains (in wall monitors) would have to be broken in for hours, pumping pink noise through them at a thundering volume.

We would just deal with it if they blew mid session (this happened a fair amount when doing hip hop music. lol) but even smaller high end speakers would have this as a requirement. Im not sure actually why we dont see this requirement anymore, when buying new speakers - changes in materials used? I dont know. But in general this (was) is def a thing with speakers - needing a break in period.

no, thats not me in the picture, but that was a room I did many sessions in in the late 90s. That was the owner, who which I have nothing nice to say about, so I will say nothing at all.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I discovered that the Toyota folks have the same HK system with greenedge amp and 80mm coaxials in the dash but under the JBL branding. They also have a "base" sound system like we have in the Onyx.

It turns out that in the toyotas, the speaker connectors for the JBL/HK dash speakers are different than the base system, so if our cars are the same way, the HK 80mm drivers won't just drop in for us base system owners. The toyota guys are loving the Subaru/Kicker tweets.

Here's their thread: How to - Subaru/Toyota(3rd Gen) Tweeter Upgrade (Holy S***)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts