Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.0D SE 6 Speed Manual
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Outback diesel with 193k miles which I bought a year ago without really having an understanding of DPF tech or potential issues especially on a high mileage car. It does mainly motorway miles but I did have to take it into a dealer for a forced regen once this year. The dealer mentioned they have a spray they can use with the DPF still on the car, but my immediate thought was where the **** is all that ash gunk going to end up!?

There are a number of 3rd party companies here in the UK that offer a proper removal and re-fit DPF flush out, but Subaru in their wisdom(?!) have made the DPF and Cat a single unit so that throws up other questions about whether a high pressure flush out could damage the Cat?

Has anyone had any DPF cleaning work done and what results have you had?

Thanks

·
Registered
257 Posts
On medium and heavy duty diesels, it's done all of the time. I haven't heard of it being done much on light duty diesels.

I was at a trade show earlier this year where FSX, a cleaning equipment manufacturer, was developing equipment for light duty diesels. I'm not sure where they are with that.

On the heavy duty side, cleaning is a practice that works well. There seems to be a limit to the number of times it can be done before the filter no longer works effectively.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I would stay away from any sprays that claim to clean DPFs. The acceptable cleaning process blows the ash out of the filter buy forcing it backwards out of the inlet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts