Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Garmin 45 that has had it and am looking to get a new GPS that is also "map capable". According to my wife this is my birthday present. :) Any suggestions?

I think I like these 3 Garmin models

etrex Vista - probably out of my $$ range
etrex Venture
etrex Legend

And these Magellan models.

Meridian Gold
Sportrak Map

I don't want to spend over $250

Any thoughts or suggestions?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Hi, I have a Magellan Map 330, it's the only GPS I've ever owned but I really like it. One good thing with Magellan is the way you can update them, mine is equivalent to a Meridian Platinum due to software upgrades. Have you checked the newsgroups that discuss GPS? alt.satellite.gps is maybe the best. I guess it also depends what you want to do with the GPS, do you want one that will give you directions when driving? Not sure if you can get that for the price you mentioned though.
CHeers,
Karl

·
I need a fog horn, ,
213 Posts
I've been looking at the Magellan SporTrak Map and Pro. I'm leaning towards the Pro, because it does topo maps as well. The Pro runs 250 at Amazon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a Garmin Streetpilot

monocolor that I bought as a reman. unit a few years ago from www.gpsdiscount.com for ~$250. I just checked their site and no more remans of this model :(, but I think they had competitive pricing and very quick service. The Streetpilot is nice but it does NOT do auto-routing while in the car. You have to use your PC to lay out the routes and upload them to the GPS. If you are not map-challenged, that is no big deal as you can just keep an eye on your end target and keep working your way closer to it. The data such as restaurants and gas stations being uploaded is great, addresses and phone numbers sitting on your screen so you can call ahead to see if a place is open:) I did buy an expansion RAM card and a USB programmer, but cannot seem to get the routes to load through the RAM card, only when directly connected.
Good Points: Cost; convenience; fun toy; ease of use; included Mapsource Metroguide USA for entire USA "unlocked"
Bad Points: cannot program on the fly (without a laptop and adapter cable); battery hog; some maps outdated/inaccurate
I WOULD buy it again for the same price, although I suspect there are other more capable units out there now.

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. I want it for general hiking/outdoor use and for roadtrips and such. I just want a little more functionality over the old ass 45 model I have that has crapped out. That site has some good prices, Valkaru. I'd like to get one with ample memory. We'll see. Now I am torn between the GPS or headers for the b-day gift. :D

·
OBS Obsessed, ,
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hehe. I really am leaning towards it. Then maybe add the high-flow cat this summer. Decent HP gains and better MPG. I have been doing some research on the Borlas. I am coming around on them after that other thread where Brain talked about them and based on what I have read. Minimal gains but not bad either, decent sound and the price is right. Matt was telling me good things too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Garmin Streetpilots are great for auto use, but for dual Hiking/Auto use I have a Garmin GPSMap 76 that I'm very happy with. My uncle uses a Magellan Meridian for the same thing, it's a nice unit too but after using both I have a preference for the Garmin.

If you want a unit that will do routing the Garmin GPS V is a good choice, but I find the GPSMap 76 screen a little easier to read.

Stop by http://gpsinformation.net/ for tons of great GPS information.

Cheers,
Rob

·
I need a fog horn, ,
213 Posts
Blue Ridge OBS said:
hehe. I really am leaning towards it. Then maybe add the high-flow cat this summer. Decent HP gains and better MPG. I have been doing some research on the Borlas. I am coming around on them after that other thread where Brain talked about them and based on what I have read. Minimal gains but not bad either, decent sound and the price is right. Matt was telling me good things too.
For the price you can't beat em. The Cobbs and the Brullen just cost too much.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a Garmin V that I extensively use. It has auto routing, if you can fit all the data for that area on it, only 19 MB of fixed RAM, is its drawback. If you want a bigger screen and more memory go for the Streetpilot III, prices should start to come down on those after the release of the 2620.

I also use the RAM-Mount in my car and on my motorcycle. Great products.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently bought a Tomtom GO GPS for my '04 Outback wagon which I would recommend to anyone. Looks very cool and is very easy to use straight out of the box. I'd even go as far as to say that it's an essential tool if you want to stay married for a long time.

www.tomtom.com

CNET says it's one of the Top Ten Must Have Gadgets

Attachments

·
Registered
665 Posts
Etrex Vista

I can give you some input on the Etrex Vista. First, I'd forget about really using it as a car navigation aid (at least solo). the screen would be too hard to view. You will also pretty much need Garmin's Mapsource because the Vista only contains a basemap of North America, which means it only has some state/county roads and interstates, so it'll lack a lot of detail a true car navigation GPS system would provide.

However, for hiking and bike touring, the Vista is good. I have used it extensively on various bike tours I have done. Since we cyclists stick to county and state roads, it has saved me many times and I do not have any mapsource data in my GPS. It is also a good hiking tool as it has a barometric altimeter and an electronic compass (I don't use it though, prefer a regular compass). It also is WAAS enabled and has a lot of memory.

Garmin and Magellen both have color models out, though the Garmin one is new whereas the Magellens had a color model for a bit.

One downside of the Garmin etrex line though is the lack of the optional external antenna, which may be handy in some hiking or mountain biking cases.

BTW, you can update Garmin software too, it has a dataport much like any GPS these days so you can upload data to/from the GPS. NMEA capable, etc. etc.

Jay

·
Registered
195 Posts
and eTrex Legend

I've used the eTrex Legend for a couple years, it doesn't hold a very large detailed map, all at once, but okay for local regions. Main reasons for choosing it were price (was $200 at ebay back then), hiking, and using with my notebook map while driving.

That TomTom GO could be a great thing to get (myself). For me, the price would need to come down to around $300-$400, though, and it's far away from that. I found out it goes for around $700 at best.

A Delorme Earthmate for notebook, with voice routing, is much cheaper (about $100-$150) than a standalone GPS. Although, you've got to have the notebook first and it's definitely not real easy to use. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just got my Magellan Roadmate 700 a few days ago and had a chance to take it fo a 'road test' by going to a 3 hour drive to the beach.
It did a fine job and it's a nice GPS but a it's bit expensive 'toy'. It's size and features are hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Tomtom ONE

Well I read as many reviews as I could and I think perhaps the Tomtom isn't as well known in the USA as other places such as the UK and Australia, anyway generally the Tomtom One had very good reviews. I bought one last Thursday and i love it. It's very easy to use, the GPS is amazingly fast and reliable, it has Sirf III 20 channel. After being off overnight it gets a fix in about 15 seconds the next morning. If moved a great distance while off then it can take maybe 90 seconds, but that is still way faster than my handheld 12 channel. It never loses the fix while driving unless going through a tunnel. I have downloaded several alternative voices and I love having John Cleese tell me where to go.. literally! The recalcutation of routes takes about 2 seconds, very fast. I find it vastly superior to what my 2000 BMW had in it (and which cost about 5 times the price).

Cheers,
Karl

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
13 Participants
Jondalar
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing