Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aren't you glad this isn't another gas mileage thread?.....:rolleyes:

Just want to check which adapter cap works on the OB before I order a cap for my Outback to connect.

Since we are supposed to be flushing our brake fluid every 30K per Subaru, I have found this pressure bleeder makes it an *easy* job (I do my Porsche each year before track season).

The Motive website says the Ford 3-prong adapter *should* fit Subaru, but before I order (and spend $30 + shipping) was wondering if anyone has one and if this is the correct one that fits.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've used the recommended ford cap on my 2011 outback and 2010 forester without a problem. It's a bit weird to install...push down then twist....don't twist as you push. Taking it off....twist then pull off. Again..not at the same time.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited Carbide Gray
832 Posts
What do you guys think about the power bleeder? I've got one of the cheap vacuum ones, and I've looked at the Max pro reverse bleeder but can't decide what would work best. Any thoughts???

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get a Motive products bleeder, they are the best.

I had a cheap vacuum bleeder before the Motive, it was a total waste of time and money.

·
Registered
2010 3.6R Limited
504 Posts
What do you guys think about the power bleeder? I've got one of the cheap vacuum ones, and I've looked at the Max pro reverse bleeder but can't decide what would work best. Any thoughts???
I've had a vacuum type and a Motive power bleeder. The Motive is great!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Get the Motive. It worked great and was a lot easier than the old "pump them up". I got the whole kit with the ford cap on amazon.

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
821 Posts
Aren't you glad this isn't another gas mileage thread?.....:rolleyes:

Just want to check which adapter cap works on the OB before I order a cap for my Outback to connect.

Since we are supposed to be flushing our brake fluid every 30K per Subaru, I have found this pressure bleeder makes it an *easy* job (I do my Porsche each year before track season).

The Motive website says the Ford 3-prong adapter *should* fit Subaru, but before I order (and spend $30 + shipping) was wondering if anyone has one and if this is the correct one that fits.

Thanks!
Post some pics when you choose and use the pressure bleeder.

I did it basting out the mc reservoir and pumping the pedal and it was bit tedious, not too bad.

Always looking to save a bit of time if possible for not too much $ while learning a new trick.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i CVT Pearly white
8 Posts
+ 1 on the motive , they are great!
I have used it 2 different ways , filling the bottle with brake fluid ( a bit of a pain to clean out afterwards, but there is no risk of running out of fluid and sucking air into the system )
And the other way is to top up the reservoir , hook up the bleeder and use the pressurized air to bleed the system .
however this is risky done on your own, there is a chance you could drain too much out of the reservoir and introduce air.
So if I have a helper to watch the reservoir, and refill it as necessary there is little or no mess to clean up with the bleeder bottle and tubes.

Also , I have always been told "pumping the pedal method" is hard on the seal in the master cylinder . Pushing the piston past its normal working area , and wearing the seal on the bore. Although this is probably less likely on a newer MC , it's something to consider on an older one, where that seal has never traveled under pressure .
Just my 2 cents...

JB

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also , I have always been told "pumping the pedal method" is hard on the seal in the master cylinder . Pushing the piston past its normal working area , and wearing the seal on the bore. Although this is probably less likely on a newer MC , it's something to consider on an older one, where that seal has never traveled under pressure .
Just my 2 cents...

JB
Correct. Why I no longer use this method.

·
Registered
2011 OB 3.6R Limited
93 Posts
I seem to remember reading that the bleed order for the Outback may not be the traditional start at farthest wheel and work to the closest. Does anyone have the recommended order?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I seem to remember reading the the bleed order for the Outback may not be the traditional start at farthest wheel and work to the closest. Des anyone have the recommended order?
Many ABS cars use a wierd bleed order.

I can look up the bleed order in the FSM when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cut/pasted from the Outback FSM:

"NOTE:
Perform the operation in the order starting from the farthest wheel cylinder from the master cylinder."​

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5i CVT Pearly white
8 Posts
Correct. Why I no longer use this method.

Thanks to rennlist:29:

Back to the main question , is it the 3 prong ford adapter that works for the subbie?
I too have only used the motive euro cap for the p-car
Amazon has it for around $30 , that sounds steep !
Could we use the universal " j hook and chain " ?

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6R Premium
65 Posts
It is the: Ford 1107/1117 adapter.

Ford Three Prong Adapter 1107

I have the universal j-hook and chain, works fine, but much easier with the proper adapter. Ordered it on Amazon for $34.94 including shipping, which is cheaper than ordering from Motive direct.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
276 Posts
I'm about to order the Universal Motive bleeder. Mainly because the brake reservoir and clutch reservoir use different caps!

·
Registered
17 & 19 OB 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight&Nav
14 Posts
Motive 1107 adapter fits the 2017 2.5i

It is the: Ford 1107/1117 [three-prong] adapter.
I ordered an 1107 adapter for my 2017 Outback 2.5i. I can confirm that it fits. I'd recommend lubricating the o-ring with a bit of brake fluid and coaxing it on and off. It fits tightly down in the opening, rather than the top rim, as with the cap.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 3.6L Limited 5EAT
40 Posts
I'm another happy customer of the Motive pressure bleeder, and yes, I recall buying the Ford adaptor and it fits my Outback. I will say that it feels a little squishy when attaching to the reservoir opening. I have a Bavarian Autosport pressure bleeder that I used for my BMW, and it attached with a re-assuring click and felt more firmly attached. I feel like someday while pressurized, the Motive is going to blow off the reservoir, spraying brake fluid everywhere.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts