Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 2013 with EyeSight off the lot without factory remote start. My plan is to do my own factory remote start install as I did on my previous 2010 OB. Problem is the install instructions haven't changed to include the installation with EyeSight. Can anyone that ordered a remote start with EyeSight confirm where the factory is placing the remote start antenna? I am just wondering if it is still in the same non-EyeSight position above the rear view mirror or did they change the location due to EyeSight?

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
265 Posts
Mine is at the top left of then windshield, just above the A pillar. I don't like it there (and I didn't even want the remote start, just happened to be on the car I wound up buying).

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
Same position for mine. I don't mind it at all because it is way out of the way. Antenna is pointing toward Eye Sight and the body of the unit toward the A pillar.
I can take a pic if you wish...

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same position for mine. I don't mind it at all because it is way out of the way. Antenna is pointing toward Eye Sight and the body of the unit toward the A pillar.
I would appreciate it if you can. Is it safe to assume that it was delivered that way and not installed by the dealer?

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
All options installed at the factory.
It is dark now so tomorrow will shoot a pic and post it...

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any comments about the range of the OEM remote start?
It's spec is 400 feet and it also has 2 way communication to let you know your car has started. In actual tests I was able to do a little better but not much. It does seem to be a good RS for getting through obstacles like building walls. I currently have the factory remote in my 2010 Legacy and had it in my 2010 OB which I just traded for a 2013. I most likely will be installing the same one in my 2013. I had a lot of both factory and aftermarket remote starts in all my cars and none are perfect. This one is ok and being OE and plug in install is a plus.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
212 Posts
Im going to have the "Smart" factory version installed on my 2013 OB 2.5i Limited with SAP.

The "Smart" is only available for the Special Appearance Package (SAP) or push button start models. The dealership calls the 400ft range one the "Basic" and the factory one for the SAP the "Smart".

The differences from what I can see are:
1. Distance--400 ft on the aftermarket "Basic" vs. 75ft on the factory "Smart"
2. Unlock/Lock---available only the factory "Smart"
3. "Smart" factory utilizes existing remote entry/lock/unlock device vs. a seperate remote on the "Basic"
4. Cost: "Smart" is $359 vs. $369 on the "Basic" (I'll get 10% off those prices)
--$141.00 for Subaru to install for either or.

The range would be nice but I dont want another remote to carry in my pocket and having everything built into my factory key/remote is my cup of tea.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im going to have the "Smart" factory version installed on my 2013 OB 2.5i Limited with SAP.

The "Smart" is only available for the Special Appearance Package (SAP) or push button start models. The dealership calls the 400ft range one the "Basic" and the factory one for the SAP the "Smart".

The differences from what I can see are:
1. Distance--400 ft on the aftermarket "Basic" vs. 75ft on the factory "Smart"
2. Unlock/Lock---available only the factory "Smart"
3. "Smart" factory utilizes existing remote entry/lock/unlock device vs. a seperate remote on the "Basic"
4. Cost: "Smart" is $359 vs. $369 on the "Basic" (I'll get 10% off those prices)
--$141.00 for Subaru to install for either or.

The range would be nice but I dont want another remote to carry in my pocket and having everything built into my factory key/remote is my cup of tea.
What your dealer is calling "smart" is a cheap basic system. A similiar system can be installed on any car with remote door locks and use the existing remotes including the non-smart key OB. The system has no receiver, antenna, or remote of it's own. It just wires into the existing door locks using the weak door lock remotes. I thought I could live with the "smart (haha)" system on my Nissan. The main purpose was to start the car parked close to the house on cold mornings. It does that well enough. But there are always those times when you are out at a restaurant, shopping or whatever and you would like to start your car from a greater distance and also have feedback that it has started. You are limited not only by the door lock remote distance but also by the timing of the 3 button sequence. Being that your remote is not really made for remote starting they had to come up with a sequence using the existing buttons.
At least your salesman didn't talk you into cloth seats by telling you they come on the "Premium" model.

·
Registered
2011 outback 2.5i limited cvt
180 Posts
special appearance package has to use the smart version due to the fact that the fob for push button start uses a different frequency setup. simple as that.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
212 Posts
What your dealer is calling "smart" is a cheap basic system. A similiar system can be installed on any car with remote door locks and use the existing remotes including the non-smart key OB. The system has no receiver, antenna, or remote of it's own. It just wires into the existing door locks using the weak door lock remotes. I thought I could live with the "smart (haha)" system on my Nissan. The main purpose was to start the car parked close to the house on cold mornings. It does that well enough. But there are always those times when you are out at a restaurant, shopping or whatever and you would like to start your car from a greater distance and also have feedback that it has started. You are limited not only by the door lock remote distance but also by the timing of the 3 button sequence. Being that your remote is not really made for remote starting they had to come up with a sequence using the existing buttons.
At least your salesman didn't talk you into cloth seats by telling you they come on the "Premium" model.
I had the "smart" system installed today and it works as described. $323 and $126 to install. The install took 2.5 hours. No big deal and Nate Wade Subaru in SLC, UT has a great wating area with MACs, LCDS, juice, coffee, soda, apples, bananas, cookies, brownies, and pop corn. They are the #1 volume dealer in the USA---good outfit. They have some sweet vintage Subi's as well---the 1969 360 Van rocks! They also gave me my Dr. Colorchip like touch-up paint pen/do it yourself for free. Didnt know they were going to give it to me for free but they do with everyone (with your 1st oil change) from what I understand

The "smart" only works with the 2013's with the special appearence package (SAP) (push button start) and the 400ft one will not work on the SAP models. So those with anything other than the push button start must get the additional farb (which I didnt want regardless). Granted distance would be nice as you described but line of sight and obstacals come into play. I dont know if the other models of Outbacks allow you to leave your farb in your pocket and just put your hand in the door handle (dont have to touch anything) and the drivers door unlocks and when exiting, push the button the door and it locks. Cool features regardless because I never have to take my keys in/out of my pocket or jacket. I also added the moon roof deflector (makes a big difference) and the hood/bug defector a few weeks back.

I had the 2012 OB 2.5i Premium w/All Weather Package so I know it comes with cloth seats and I didnt use a salesman when I bought my 2013--or any of the past 5 vehicles I have bought. All negotition took place via email and the process lasted less than 24 hours. I show up, pick up my car, and kindly say no to any other warranties, upgrades, ect, ect. I find what I want, order or buy it, and have it delivered or pick it up.

Tried to test drive the Crosstrek but they are out of them---they keep up with the demand. Girlfriend is thinking of getting one. I have seen them up close and like them.

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
8 Posts
Ouch! Both you and nagarjuna are describing my dealer installed location and position for the module. When I first hopped in the car, I thought it had to be a mistake. I'm tall and it gets in my peripheral vision and it's hard to ignore.

I really wish it was behind my rear view as it was in my 2011. If the Eyesight forces it to not be in the centered area behind the mirror, then for the sake of having a clear view for the driver, place it in a similar spot on the passenger side. I just don't think it was thought out all that well.

I will say that I am happy that I seem to have lucked out and have the longer range version versus what I'm reading about the factory installed alternative version.

David

1 - 13 of 13 Posts