Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback limited 3.6R
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Months ago I installs an HID kit to my non-SAP OB. I'm happy with the output, but the slight bleed or "squirrel finders" from what another member called it, is starting to bug me. I was thinking it could be reflection from inside the housing (which is chrome). Just trying to get info from someone w the SAP package and an HID kit to tell me if they have that same light bleed issue still. I was thinking of the blackening out housing DIY if it will help any.

Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
AFAIK the SAP projectors are the same as the standards just with black bezels. Would probably have the same issue.

Theres a guy on the LegacyGT forum who will rebuild your housings with hid projectors, he uses Acura projectors I think. Theres a post around here somewhere with his contact info.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nickshu, that was my thought as well.
I think I know that guy you're talking about on legacygt- uses morimoto projectors from theretrofitsource.com which is another option.

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
I was reading that the Lexus RX330 non AFS projectors are very similar and fit in our housings with minimal modification if you wanted to go that route. I have the SAP with retrofitsource HID kit and I have the light above the cutoff.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah gotcha JCBERB. I'll look into the RX330 projectors and see if there are any at the local junkyards. I wonder what the difference will be if they're the same size, etc. Is the difference in the glass itself?

I was reading that the Lexus RX330 non AFS projectors are very similar and fit in our housings with minimal modification if you wanted to go that route. I have the SAP with retrofitsource HID kit and I have the light above the cutoff.

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
The retrofit source sells them for a good price. Send them an email and see, they respond quickly. From what I learned over at the HID Planet forums the actual reflector bowl is designed to work with HID, and the lens also makes a difference . Our lenses are not clear and are somehwhat pitted. And if you swap out clear lenses you get a really nice beam. Head on over the the HID Planet forum they have a ton of information there.

There has to be someone on this forum that has some good hands on with this.

The only hard part [for me] is working up the courage to open my stock headlight assembly.

Ah gotcha JCBERB. I'll look into the RX330 projectors and see if there are any at the local junkyards. I wonder what the difference will be if they're the same size, etc. Is the difference in the glass itself?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You and me the same... But more worried about not having a non-operational car for a couple of days if something goes wrong. I've been eyed scrapped Legacys on Craigslist. I'll post here if I ever make the leap to try it out myself.
The only hard part [for me] is working up the courage to open my stock headlight assembly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts