Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had virtually no problems with a newer OB? I'm used to fairly reliable cars or I've been lucky. One of our former cars a 2008 Toyota Corolla had no issues in the nine years we had it. Had a slight water pump gasket leak at 50k and otherwise perfect. It defined reliable. Granted it's a less complex vehicle vs an Outback.
I'm looking for responses from perceptive OB owners, not ones who are OK with issues or aren't aware of them. I'm talking no gas gauge issues, no front end clunking, no electric issues, nearly nothing.
I'm not into going back and forth to the dealer, I don't want a free loaner even if it's something special. I want my new OB to be solid, tight, and reliable.
Anyone?

·
Registered
93 Posts
2015 2.5 with 39K miles and no issues what so ever. I did have to put new tires on at 32K which seemed a little quick but oem tires are never the best.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,513 Posts
Has anyone had virtually no problems with a newer OB? I'm used to fairly reliable cars or I've been lucky. One of our former cars a 2008 Toyota Corolla had no issues in the nine years we had it. Had a slight water pump gasket leak at 50k and otherwise perfect. It defined reliable. Granted it's a less complex vehicle vs an Outback.
I'm looking for responses from perceptive OB owners, not ones who are OK with issues or aren't aware of them. I'm talking no gas gauge issues, no front end clunking, no electric issues, nearly nothing.
I'm not into going back and forth to the dealer, I don't want a free loaner even if it's something special. I want my new OB to be solid, tight, and reliable.
Anyone?
Well, the 4th year of the gen 5 Outback should have production just about perfected and should be reliable. However, no car will ever stay like new. Each year or mile there is wear and tear on the finish, upholstery, tires, and brakes. Maintenance and care are required. Just saying... :)

Reactions: Japereira88

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
'15 2.5 premium, 22,000 miles, zero issues.

·
Registered
2016 OB 3.6R - Carbide Gray
1,297 Posts
Anyone?
28,500. The only two "issues" I have had were a dead battery and a squeaky seat frame. No "issues" I consider major. I would probably replace the battery if you got one. Other than that, I can't see it needing anything for a while.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Limited
7 Posts
2016, 33k miles. Had a couple software updates and could start tsb from Subaru but I never actually had a problem with the car. I digress, the radio software was updated because my radio would get stuck on fm even when a xm channel was selected. Minor thing though. And one time my window wouldn't roll down, they had to "reset" it, took 30 seconds. Otherwise car is solid. No issues and I am PICKY! Had to replace the OEM tires at 22k before winter, they wouldn't have been safe in Idaho/Montana winters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
17 Outback Premium - 0 issues. (except the wife sat in hte car too long on the phone (bluetooth) with it off and killed the battery..) but no nothing since then!

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
508 Posts
most people here are citing the miles I drive in a year.

2011 TDI jetta wagon - needed a glow plug once, 130K miles, 5 years.

2015 golf tdi wagon - 2 years, zero issues so far other than the touch screen actus up when its cold and humid for about 5 mins, then clears up. 63K miles, a little over 2 years.

We are considering a outback. Its in the 'final four' right now. We will probably wait until next spring. Buyback is good for a while yet

I have the same questions as you. I dont know how reliable these cars are, and they are obviously not toyotas. A close friend had an older one, I think like an 05, that blew up at 130K. Not a resounding review. New motor is different, kind of?

Id be interested to hear from owners who have had these things go 200K or more. (gen 4) and what the highest mileage gen 5's are.

I know some TDI gen 3's are already approaching 75-80K or more.

This whole steering column clunking front end business bothers me. I see alot of that, and dead battery complaints.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R EyeSight, 20mm RSB, STB, 2" ECOhitch
627 Posts
2016, 27k miles, 0 issues. Haven't even been back to a dealer yet for 2 recalls.

·
Registered
2020 Limited 2.5i Outback Magnetite Grey Metallic
316 Posts
2017 Outback - 23k miles - two issues - wind-noise and now I have some rattling up in lower front part of the vehicle, sounds like it might be my calipers, the noise stops when I put a little pressure the brake petal, have an appointment with the dealer next Wednesday to see what might be the cause, overall though I am really pleased with the Outback.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium with Moonroof Pkg+Power Rear Gate+Starlink in Venetian Red Pearl
35 Posts
2017 Outback - 23k miles - two issues - wind-noise and now I have some rattling up in lower front part of the vehicle, sounds like it might be my calipers, the noise stops when I put a little pressure the brake petal, have an appointment with the dealer next Wednesday to see what might be the cause, overall though I am really pleased with the Outback.

I just noticed a very faint sound like this in ours. Noise also goes away as soon as you give the brakes any pressure. Haven't taken the wheel off to see what is loose yet

Besides that tiny thing, no issues on our 2015 2.5i premium (+sunroof and power gate) at ~26k miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
552 Posts
Got one-zero issues... it is all about how nitpicking you are
Battery small
Battery protection not working
Dash rattle
Window rattle due to wind noise
Paint chipping
Brakes barely braking
Drivers seat squeaks
Rough idle
Unable to reach working temperature in winter causing mpg to fall to gas guzzler levels
Hatch door stuck

·
Premium Member
2019 2.5i Limited PZEV, EyeSight, Magnetite Gray Metallic, Black Interior
219 Posts
'16 2.5 Limited. ~19K miles. Not a single issue. Never been back to the dealer except for oil changes & rotation.

·
Registered
2017 OB Touring 2.5L Wilderness Green/Java Brown Popular w/Package 5a
36 Posts

Unable to reach working temperature in winter causing mpg to fall to gas guzzler levels
Is that particular problem still present after driving a bit at highway speeds? Possible fix via the computer?
I'm asking because I'm in Alaska.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Battery small
Battery protection not working
Dash rattle
Window rattle due to wind noise
Paint chipping
Brakes barely braking
Drivers seat squeaks
Rough idle
Hatch door stuck
Wow, thats sort of a significant list. I'm nit picky, I'll admit it. I don't care for constant rattles or squeaks, sometimes they come and go in my experience.
The battery thing some have brought up is concerning, there's no excuse for that, did Subaru fix it?
Paint chips - I presume in front from road debris?
Do you feel you got a lemon of sorts?
Thanks for your and everyones feedback.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
552 Posts
Is that particular problem still present after driving a bit at highway speeds? Possible fix via the computer?
I'm asking because I'm in Alaska.

Thanks.
There's DYI fix by covering the grille with cardboard. Problem exists only for 2.5i engine since it uses different CVT heating/cooling than high-torque version (3.6R). Few threads about this exist, it is well known issue on this forum.
EDIT: No, hwy does not help. I was 24mpg after hour of driving. It happens when temperature is below 40F and it is windy.

Wow, thats sort of a significant list. I'm nit picky, I'll admit it. I don't care for constant rattles or squeaks, sometimes they come and go in my experience.
The battery thing some have brought up is concerning, there's no excuse for that, did Subaru fix it?
Paint chips - I presume in front from road debris?
Do you feel you got a lemon of sorts?
Thanks for your and everyones feedback.
I forgot the grinding noise on left/right turns from steering wheel if you use your turn signals.
Paint - I have few spots on doors where tiny holes have developed, but there's no dent. I am not 100% sure what's going on there. Paint seems to be very thin and has low resistance. Same for panels. This is not my 1st Subaru, similar issues on that one, although there I could see some dents.

I don't think it is lemon, all these issues have been independently reported, and each has at least one dedicated thread. It is just matter of being picky or not. As they say one man's trash is another man's treasure.

·
Registered
2016 Wilderness Green 3.6R
42 Posts
I've had mine for about 16 months. Other than the steering column issue that forced me to return it to the dealership during the first week of ownership I've had zero problems.

I can say that it has either hit or exceeded my expectations in pretty much every area and, quality wise, I've found mine to be the equal of the Honda's and Toyota's that have been in my garage over the last decade.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R LBP "Dingo"
643 Posts
2016 Outback 3.6R, 20k miles - no issues.
I'm not sure what the OP is really hoping for. Do you want an iron-clad 100% guarantee that the car you purchase will have zero issues? Because it doesn't matter what car/brand you purchase, that guarantee just doesn't exist. Some brands have fewer issues than others - Toyota/Lexus, Honda, Subaru. But even that is no guarantee - search these forums, there are certainly people who have had issues with Outbacks.

Reactions: 1454
1 - 20 of 38 Posts