Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Legacy wagon 2.5L 230K 5spd
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've just acquired a high mileage 2001 2.5 liter Outback. I am thinking of getting rid of the AC system to open space under the hood and reduce complexity. I live at a high latitude and, global warming not withstanding, AC is a bit of an oxymoron here. What is involved in this? I am assuming that I will need to get the Freon refrigerant collected from the system at an auto shop before I do this. Anything else?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
1,261 Posts
Anything else?
Why don't you just leave it and don't use it? As long as you don't cycle the compressor (call for cooling) the pulley will run but the compressor won't run because the magnetic clutch won't pull in. You might find that without the ac pulley in place that you'll have a hard time with the belt configuration. You'll never notice a difference in gas mileage by eliminating what's basically a free wheeling ac pulley.

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy BH 2.0 LPG manual (more than 342'000 miles)
11 Posts
I have done it on my parts car.
System was already empty of refrigerant, so I just removed all parts under the hood (pipes, compressor, condenser, drier). I did not remove evaporator from the dash.
Belt configuration is not a problem on 2.5 engine, because it uses dedicated belt for compressor.

·
Registered
2001 Legacy wagon 2.5L 230K 5spd
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have done it on my parts car.
System was already empty of refrigerant, so I just removed all parts under the hood (pipes, compressor, condenser, drier). I did not remove evaporator from the dash.
Belt configuration is not a problem on 2.5 engine, because it uses dedicated belt for compressor.
Thanks for the response Kamion. I foresee this car getting a short block rebuild at some point and have no need to fool around with an AC system.
Question: In some of the WRX forums people have mentioned that removing the AC affects the ability of the defroster in winter to perform. Have you found any evidence of this? This makes no sense to me. Thanks again.

·
Registered
Subaru Legacy BH 2.0 LPG manual (more than 342'000 miles)
11 Posts
It makes sense: Because windshield defroster works better when the AC is running, because AC will dry the air that will be blown on windshield. So the air is first cooled to remove moisture and then warmed up so it can defrost windshield.
Otherwise it will just blow warm air full of moisture on cold windshield. When warm air hits cold windshield it will cool down and release its moisture on windshield...

I haven't used windshield defroster in my parts car, so I don't know if it performs worse without AC.

Reactions: AvidHiker

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
2,857 Posts
The AC is used on the front windscreen for the defroster/defogger in winter, it defogs the windscreen in seconds.

The heater can also be used to defrost the windscreen BUT you have to wait until the engine/coolant is hot enough to be of any benefit (could be 10 to 15 minutes or more).

Seagrass

Reactions: AvidHiker

·
Premium Member
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
1,130 Posts
Yep, just remove it. On the 4-cyl it has it's own belt. Just have the system evacuated and then remove the components.

Yes, A/C does run in "defrost" mode on all cars, it does help dry the air out. I've had plenty of cars with non-functioning a/c, and can't tell the difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts