Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car: 2009 Outback XT 5MT

Does anyone here have AVO axleback mufflers with stock everything else? I have found a few youtube videos and they seem to range from "That sounds great!" to "...that sounds exactly like stock." My biggest concern is that I'll spend $500 on the mufflers, install them and then not be able to tell I've done anything. That would be really disappointing. If anyone could chime in with any experience they have I would GREATLY appreciate it!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, so, no experience with the AVO mufflers.

Could someone tell me how loud and how badly Nameless 5" axleback mufflers would be, then?

Those seem to be my only two options. I'm worried AVO will be so quiet I won't know I put them on, and I'm worried Nameless will be so loud that I'll hate it.

:(

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
Yes .... This is the full AVO system, turbo back. Down-pipe, mid-pipe, y-pipe, mufflers ... All AVO. Perrin Header.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So... I very much appreciate you sharing and I don't want to offend but... I uhm, I don't like that.

If that's AVO, then Nameless might be my only option other than maybe a mystery Magnaflow that seems popular.

·
Master Caster
16,119 Posts
So... I very much appreciate you sharing and I don't want to offend but... I uhm, I don't like that.

If that's AVO, then Nameless might be my only option other than maybe a mystery Magnaflow that seems popular.
No offense taken, it is maximized for performance from the turbo back. I did't design it. Keep in mind this is a 3" all the way back, AVO muffs are better than anything Namless offers. But you could do alright with a Magaflow Generic and a good custom muffler shop..

The ninja-blender sound is mostly the Perrin Header. Efficient, but no rumble.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No offense taken, it is maximized for performance from the turbo back. I did't design it. Keep in mind this is a 3" all the way back, AVO muffs are better than anything Namless offers. But you could do alright with a Magaflow Generic and a good custom muffler shop..

The ninja-blender sound is mostly the Perrin Header. Efficient, but no rumble.
I figured the Perrin Header was equal length and contributing to the lack of rumble, but it's mostly the rasp when you get on it that I don't care for.

I believe you that AVO makes a better product than Nameless, but videos like this:
worry me because seriously... that's nearly indistinguishable from stock. It's not an XT so there's no rumble, maybe that would help?

I understand the catback system is likely much more noticeable, but I'm not sure I can swing $1,100 for all of that in one shot.

·
Master Caster
16,119 Posts
I figured the Perrin Header was equal length and contributing to the lack of rumble, but it's mostly the rasp when you get on it that I don't care for.
Keep in mind the Go Pro is right above the outlet....and a full 3" AVO...zI never hear the rasp in the car ever. A bigger resonator would help. But the AVO is 4" 20" long....thats's it. It's a track exhaust with street mufflers....so figure that.

·
Master Caster
16,119 Posts
Here is my 2005 turbo with my own homemade deletes....

You might like...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're right, I do like that. Deep and rumbly. I want that sound... but at a non-droney decibel level suitable for a 40 year old. I may be wanting too much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts