Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
00 OBW, 01 Legacy
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My head gasket blew in my 98 Impreza 2.2L on the day I planned to sell it. Big shops want $2,500 or more. I would fix it myself but I have no time as I am trying to sell my house and my wife and two boys can't survive with out me. It's in great shape and worth fixing. I know it will be a huge loss if sold as is. Can anyone recommend a mechanic in or around Whatcom county that could fix this for less?
What price would a "mechanic special" go for?

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
bring it down to PIA in spanaway and get an STI drivetrain swap. might cost 5 or 6 times the $2,500, but it'll be fun.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
Sorry not too familiar with that area. It might be worth calling some Seattle/Vancouver specialty shops. They might be able to beat that price and you will get someone who has done the job before.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
925 Posts
bring it down to PIA in spanaway and get an STI drivetrain swap. might cost 5 or 6 times the $2,500, but it'll be fun.
I am also a happy customer of Pacific Import Auto. They'll be just as happy to do a simple head gasket job. Their work is excellent and the charges are reasonable. PIA's number is 253-536-0389. Tacoma isn't that far.

·
Registered
00 OBW, 01 Legacy
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your info. I would love to have an sti swap or better yet, an sti but only in my dreams. My kids are expensive! I will sell it as is. It's a great car but only as good as it's head gasket. Bummer. Crossing my fingers that my other cars hold up well.

·
Registered
129 Posts
its a one day job. if you do the minimum job, it will cost you a couple of hundred. all you need is a engine picker and stand and some basic tools. nothing really anything special.

I did mine in 13 hours. took long because of of reading the manual. if i had to do it again, i could probably do it in 6-8.

·
Registered
2013 2.5 Limited
2 Posts
Suggest AWD Auto in Kirkland WA maybe 90 minutes south of Bham. For no special reason I asked about the HG replacement cost when I was in there for an oil change recently; they quoted about $1600. Hope this helps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts