Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Premium w/Eyesight package #14
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone Installed their own Wheel Arch Moldings? I would think it should be fairly simple - either being Snap on or push on with a bit of adhesive. I would like to save the installation charges if possible. The dealer I'm buying the car from won't waive the install charge. Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts
Plenty of threads on this.

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited 3.6R in Venetian Red.
489 Posts
Pretty straight forward installation. Once you get the WAMs on the first wheel the rest are easy. Save your money and follow the instructions, and you'll be okay.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
16 Posts
Mine are sitting on the dining room table while my wife is on a road trip to her dads. Downloaded the instructions and looks pretty simple. Mine just have a rubber seal and clips that need to be attached. Not expecting any issues. Downloaded instructions from subaruonlineparts.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited with Eyesight, Forest Green
92 Posts
Just did it last weekend, piece of cake.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
Lining up the 3M tabs was the hardest thing for me. They are barely bigger than the clips. A little patience with the line up and the rest is straight forward and not difficult.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was thinking about removing mine. It came with them from the factory, and I'm afraid they might hold dirt and moisture behind them and cause rust. Not sure yet, I'm not in any real rush to do it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
So just an FYI to anyone who is thinking about installing wheel arch moldings or already has them. I removed my wheel arch moldings today (they were factory installed) and there was A TON of dirt and sand and grit behind them. I regularly wash my OB (like once a week) and I don't off road it. I could easily see these moldings causing rust in the long term.

So I'm leaving mine off, and if my car didn't come with them, I wouldn't install them. I'll probably keep mine just in case I would ever want them again, but I don't see that happening.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
I thought about that too but where do you stop? Fender liners? Plastic body/door cladding? Roof rails? Radiator cowling? I'm being sarcastic but not completely.

·
Premium Member
2017 Outback 3.6R Limited/HDK Twilight Blue Metallic
12 Posts
One of the clips that is used to attach the arch molding to the inside of the wheel well at the highest point got knocked off. Anyone have an extra one? I went by the Subaru dealer and of course you have to buy the entire arch molding kit ($400) if you want the clips... That's not gonna happen! Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R, Crystal White Pearl
561 Posts
Sure. Took about 45 minutes and I was taking my time with it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Go to a body shop and ask. I had to have work done on my car with the JDM fender well trim and they told me that those same clips are used across Subarus line of vehicles. Your parts guy is a douche.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'18 3.6R Ltd
731 Posts
I did mine yesterday, and it was easier than I'd thought it would be.

However, Subaru would be smart to pre-drill the underside lips of the wheel arches (before they dip the whole thing in the paint baths) and then provide more screws and the threaded clips as fasteners. They'd be lots more secure that way. Those pop-on clips seem flimsy. HPH

1 - 17 of 17 Posts