Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT Caramel Bronze Pearl
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey long time lurker, first time poster. I purchased a new to me 2011 last December (2016). I was looking at things to do for road trips (maybe camping) with my son (11) {Apparently I really like parentheses}.

He and I were talking about various improvements, and the rear dvd came to light. I looked at headrest mounted, and discussions on this site. While they may or may not be the way to go (other posts someone indicated "not engineered" for car as reason against for example) I wanted to look at other options.

I am iffy on a ceiling mounted DVD because I am concerned with blocking my rear view (which I consider more important) has anyone mounted and if so size and did it block your rear view?

And yes I have an old portable DVD player, but never liked the strap system for seats and the power wiring is ugly ( aesthetics are important) and a tripping hazard.

Ideas?

·
Registered
2012 Outback - 2005 Outback XT
370 Posts
Hey long time lurker, first time poster. I purchased a new to me 2011 last December (2016). I was looking at things to do for road trips (maybe camping) with my son (11) {Apparently I really like parentheses}.

He and I were talking about various improvements, and the rear dvd came to light. I looked at headrest mounted, and discussions on this site. While they may or may not be the way to go (other posts someone indicated "not engineered" for car as reason against for example) I wanted to look at other options.

I am iffy on a ceiling mounted DVD because I am concerned with blocking my rear view (which I consider more important) has anyone mounted and if so size and did it block your rear view?

And yes I have an old portable DVD player, but never liked the strap system for seats and the power wiring is ugly ( aesthetics are important) and a tripping hazard.

Ideas?
Had the headrest DVDs. They wore out quickly and I reinstalled the factory headrests. These days, the kids just use tablets (Kindle Fires). I've also got a wireless hard drive from which we stream content.
DVD players are quickly becoming obsolete technology.
We typically don't let the kids watch videos unless we're on longer drives. So the tablets work just fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
I agree ^^^. My kid has an iPad mini loaded with videos that is mounted to a headrest tablet mount. It clamps to the headrest posts. Running a USB cable for charging is easily tucked behind the plastic seat back and run to the center console for staying charged.

For little money, I'd buy a micro SD card, load it with movies and stick it in a Kindle Fire HD8 (or 10). Who wants to lug around a bunch of discs these days?

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT Caramel Bronze Pearl
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I understand the logic of tablets and such, and even the argument of lugging disks. But I have disks to lug. And a SD card requires extra steps, not necessarily bad, but extra. And putting wifi in the car may be something for down the road. I also appreciate the point of having kids unplugged.

I have tablets and phones with cellular data and it does the job sort of. Some of my issues are aesthetic. I don't like them laying higgledy-Piggledy about the car let alone the wiring.

But all that said, I have (in my mind) other uses for a dvd player/screen in the back. If for example the monitor had an HDMI port I could wire an actual computer to the monitor for not only movie watching but productive stuff for me again this would be in an end of the day capacity.

I have seen the other posts on the woes headrest mounts, and screen size wise it doesn't seem big enough.

Just curious if anyone has put a ceiling mount in an Outback and if so what were the drawbacks.

Whatever the solution I want it to look nice and ideally professionally installed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts