Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone has paid or priced how much the dealer would charge for a timing belt change. Trying to figure out how I would save by doing it myself or even if I should even attempt this.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Good skilled local shops $800-$900 is typical for full kit job , rollers, tensioner, water pump etc. I paid my local really good shop which has a $180hr shop rate $900 for Plugs, TB, rollers and tensioner. Nice clean job. My Subaru dealer doubled its service fees in the last two yrs after being bought by Lithia Auto group. ( Garbage business I have not once in all these yrs been able to find a fair deal with ANY of their dealers Toyota or otherwise) The 4 spark plugs were $400 deal 2x the price at Lithia vs just 2yrs prior family owned, the TB alone was over $1000 at the Lithia dealer.

My 01 TB was done in 2005 at a indi family owned dealer just the TB the dealer told me it was a simple $300 job. Rollers, tensioner etc was another $500 mainly parts cost. So today a good indi shop at $900 isnt too bad for the whole package.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Good skilled local shops $800-$900 is typical for full kit job , rollers, tensioner, water pump etc. I paid my local really good shop which has a $180hr shop rate $900 for Plugs, TB, rollers and tensioner. Nice clean job. My Subaru dealer doubled its service fees in the last two yrs after being bought by Lithia Auto group. ( Garbage business I have not once in all these yrs been able to find a fair deal with ANY of their dealers Toyota or otherwise) The 4 spark plugs were $400 deal 2x the price at Lithia vs just 2yrs prior family owned, the TB alone was over $1000 at the Lithia dealer.

My 01 TB was done in 2005 at a indi family owned dealer just the TB the dealer told me it was a simple $300 job. Rollers, tensioner etc was another $500 mainly parts cost. So today a good indi shop at $900 isnt too bad for the whole package.
Part of the reason family owned dealers are quickly disappearing from the face of America. They try too hard to keep prices down then go out of business.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
903 Posts
Google "independent Subaru repair shops" in your area, do some research to narrow down the field, then call several of your choices for their pricing and details. A good indie repair shop with plenty of Subaru experience is the way to proceed in this case.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
I typically see around $1200 for a dealer job done right.

Indys are in the $800+ range.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag (retired: 2.5 Ltd Sedan)
26,225 Posts
call 4 dealers and get 4 prices. and ask how much for a "timing belt kit" and then listen to some of the idiots on the other end of the line say how they only change the rubber belts as that is good enough.

or ask indie shops for real subaru parts on a timing belt kit,
or a Aisin branded kit with japan made parts. (rest of the aftermarkets have become chinese junk in a nice box)

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
I paid my local really good shop which has a $180hr shop rate
Wow. My indyl place was charging $75/h a couple of years ago. Probably up 10% by now. Of course there are no free cookies. There isn't even a place to wait for the car! So, with an aisin kit, it would probably cost $500 for me.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Mike $75 hr here was around mid 90’s. My rough numbers on the Lithia owned Subaru dealer shows they charge about $220-$240 an hour labor!

Our local shops the spotty one runs about $130hr the guy I go to has 6 lifts and isnt shy about working on Euro Diesels or my SLK and does a nice job. He likes to talk hardware and show customers various projects if he sees your interested and curious etc. Hes not cheap, but you know its getting done right and if he finds issues he shows you and talks through the fix options or process so you know the deal. Hes the $180hr shop.

He will do my CVT drain fill but pointed out it was best to keep that on Subaru radar incase the cvt has an issue. I agree with the cvt thing given Subaru has been fixing them when failures due to poorly made parts surface.

·
Registered
I own 4 Subarus. A 95,97,02 and a 14. The first two are 2.2 and the last two 2.5.
657 Posts
My rough numbers on the Lithia owned Subaru dealer shows they charge about $220-$240 an hour labor
Forget it Jake [ie subie], it's California!

Just kidding. What it means is that people in California really can't afford to own a car older then 10 years. After 10 years [120k miles] lots of things need repair in addition to the normal stuff. Examples: auto door motors, rear o2 sensor, MAF, windshield washer motor, CVJ's, EGR, power steering pump, rear washer motor, fuel pump, and a few more that I have forgotten about. I've done them all on subarus 10+ years old. Unless you repair it yourself, and that may not be legal there, these repairs would cost a fortune.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
My local, Mike Shaw charges $149/hr for wrenching work. $129/hr accessory install.

·
Registered
'10 Outback 2.5i
18 Posts
As an aside, if you choose to do the job yourself, it would be wise to check online (Amazon/eBay) for genuine Subaru parts instead of the dealerships. My timing belt (2.5i) was $65 from Amazon, whereas the dealership price was $115. I would also reccomend using genuine Subaru stuff.

·
Registered
493 Posts
The Frisco price of $180 is nearly 40% higher than a dealer by me (just over the New York City border) of $130 per hour who I believe is at or near the top price range (excluding the higher priced luxury Beemers, porsches, etc.).

Wow!

·
Master Caster
16,120 Posts
As an aside, if you choose to do the job yourself, it would be wise to check online (Amazon/eBay) for genuine Subaru parts instead of the dealerships. My timing belt (2.5i) was $65 from Amazon, whereas the dealership price was $115. I would also reccomend using genuine Subaru stuff.
I agree. I just did a complete belt and WP, all the cam and crank seal. The owner bought all the OEM parts. Per my suggestion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Forget it Jake [ie subie], it's California!

Just kidding. What it means is that people in California really can't afford to own a car older then 10 years. After 10 years [120k miles] lots of things need repair in addition to the normal stuff. .
This has not been my experience. I have 159k on my 2011 outback. Zero repairs except factory recall/service for the transmission torque converter. Brake rotors were replaced at 130k and they were still in spec. Serpentine belt replaced at 100k. I am about to do timing belt kit and front struts. I think I will do myself but my local shop quoted $650 for front struts and $850 for timing belt kit. Thats pretty close to national average.
My 2004 Infinity G35 has 129k. The only repairs have been maintinence .

Now if you have a BMW that is a different story. That car will eat you alive!

I forgot. The Outback 2011 headlights are a problem. I have gone through 12 in 7 years.

Colin

·
Master Caster
16,120 Posts
$800-$850 is a standard, good rate if the parts are all top notch.

I don't know what dealers charge. I typically would charge $300 labor and the customer supplied the parts when I wrenched for folks. That puts the bill at around $700 and change.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts