Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Outback XT;..... 2002 BMW M Coupe
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the CV shaft for my '09 OBXT 5sp. I called all the dealers in the Portland area and no one had any. The last dealer I spoke to said that it wasn't that they were out of stock, but they have never had any, he heard it was the same for every dealer in the area. He didn't know why they never carried them though. Of course he offered to sell me a new one for $400.

I haven't tried any of the online places like Raxles yet but don't know if I want to deal with sending my old one back... I thought about after market but have read a lot of posts about bad after market ones. I am now considering just buying a boot kit, (since that is what's wrong with mine, the boot tore).

Does anyone know why the dealers wouldn't be able to get the re-mans for the turbos?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,338 Posts
can yours be re-booted? or is it actually bad?

you might check into new FEQ from worldpac or wherever (Amazon?)

they have a 'heavy duty' application for many soobs. That's the brand a local tuner (AWD Tuning) uses and say they have good luck with them.

or get a soob axle from a junkyard - maybe reboot it? car-part.com or maybe LKQ

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,850 Posts
if yours are green caps, reboot them with subaru boots, if you buy anything else do nto give up green cap cores. (green cap subaru axles are uniquely stong )..

PNW has a weird issue with used subaru parts, like its a black hole with very strong gravity = demand higher then supply. creating its own odd price contraints or ideas.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are the green cap ones. I was hoping on a reman just to do a quick and easy swap. I know a re-boot isn't hard, just messy.

I've been doing some form of maintenance on my cars every weekend for the past month and just wanted a fast and easy job for once.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,080 Posts
I'm getting ready to reboot my driver's side tonight on my XT.

Don't replace the whole thing. Reboot it. Heck, if you want, come down to Salem and we can have a reboot fest. =)

But you will probably need a new axle seal either way you go. I picked one up today at the dealership since the one in Salem was closed yesterday due to the eclipse.

Manual transmission
806735300 Left side
806735290 Right side

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
They are the green cap ones. I was hoping on a reman just to do a quick and easy swap. I know a re-boot isn't hard, just messy.

I've been doing some form of maintenance on my cars every weekend for the past month and just was a fast and easy job for once.
It's an XT. There are no fast, easy, or cheap jobs on it.

·
Registered
Outback 2.0XT, Audi TTq, Ducati M750
333 Posts
I rebooted mine no problem, just use gloves, disposable rags, and 2-3 cans of wicked degreaser spray. Also, get crimp clamps and skip the OEM ones, they're a pain and I had 2 snap on me.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I decided to just reboot the axle. I'm picking up the boot from the dealer tomorrow.

Can you use any kind of CV grease or does it need a special kind? Also how much do you put in once you get it all cleaned out?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,338 Posts

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,475 Posts
I don't know the real reason for this specific shortage, but usually the availability of a re-manufactured part depends most heavily on core availability.

If all the cores are going to the 3rd party shops, Subaru won't have enough to be worth doing a batch of their own.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
you are smart. it's almost impossible to be too mean or exaggerate how bad aftermarket axles are. they're a complete waste of time for anyone doing quantities of axles.

buy a used OEM axle for $15 - $35 and you can reboot on your own time - swap easily one weekend like you want to.
both sides are the same so you'll have the third axle ready to reboot next time one of the fronts needs another boot.
Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Got mine rebooted last night. Took about 2 hours.

I used a BeckArnley boot kit 1032976.

It has the boot, grease, new c-clip, and bands. Although I didn't use the bands as they are not that good. I have other metal zip bands for other things that I used. I also replaced the seal in the transmission just as a precaution.

The packet of grease fills the metal cup about 2/3 of the way. Enough that you can put the bearings and shaft back in and lock them in with the locking clip without grease coming out if you're careful.

Something to keep in mind when you're cleaning: you're just going to be filling it up with grease again, so no need to get it spotless.

Also you might want to have some extra transmission fluid on hand, it will leak out a bit when you pull the axle out if you don't have the vehicle tipped to one side.

Tools:

32mm Axle nut socket and Breaker bar
14, 17, and 19mm sockets and box wrenches
Wire cutters to cut old bands off
C-clip tool
Metal band tool or a way to tighten the bands

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just finished swapping out the boot. It was not as bad as I thought it was. It took me about 2 hours. There wasn't much old grease left in the can as most of it was flung out. I cleaned that up real nice and got it back together.

I ended up getting the grease at AutoZone. They had a packet there that was the correct amount.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts