Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would this be easy? My biggest problems with HK system is lack of bass and heavy front volume bias. Questions:
1. Do I need to see a wiring diagram?
2. Will I be able to adjust volumes to increase door/rear speakers?
3. Will it mess up car notification sounds or bluetooth calls if some speakers are lowered or eliminated? ( I don't even care for the center speaker really)

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,198 Posts
If you are not happy with the Subaru sound system purchase another vehicle. Subaru owners do not listen to Mozart. We drive them due to their superior handling. If you want to listen to Mozart stay at home and sit in front of your Bose speakers. The only thing that should be played from a Subaru radio is the weather. When it says the weather is bad that is when we come out and play.

Reactions: Dnp1970

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,705 Posts
I would check for options at crutchfield.com - they often have install guides too.

also, user @botenredwolf is an audio guru - you might PM him.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
247 Posts
If you are not happy with the Subaru sound system purchase another vehicle. Subaru owners do not listen to Mozart. We drive them due to their superior handling. If you want to listen to Mozart stay at home and sit in front of your Bose speakers. The only thing that should be played from a Subaru radio is the weather. When it says the weather is bad that is when we come out and play.
:ucrazy:

Did you try adjusting the balance?

The one thing I am noticing with the Outback is the rear speakers are in the rear doors versus say a sedan where the speakers can typically be in the rear window. This obviously changes the dynamics of the sound.

My teenagers hate the sound in the Outback because when they sit in the back, the sound is not right by their heads for example. They keep on asking me to up the volume, but then I get blasted out in the front.

I have put the balance more to the rear. I actually enjoy this more. My kids as an added bonus do too as they are now getting more sound in the back. I have found however I do have to up the volume a notch or two more, but the sound placement is more enjoyable.

Call me crazy ;)

·
Premium Member
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,300 Posts
< rant mode > You've clearly not sat in a Subaru with the McIntosh system, nor do you seem to realize that some of us want BOTH: superior handling , as well as an amazing audio experience. Any and all cars can be modified to have a nicer sounding audio system. Pick the best mechanically, and upgrade the audio.

https://www.forbes.com/2001/01/29/0129test.html
< /rant >
(or I'm too tired to see sarcasm, if that's the case, my bad; otherwise it still stands)

On topic: modifying a factory system with an amplifier already in it is a pain in the ass, but not impossible. You may have to resort to something like what JL offers for OE integration: Car Audio - Processors - OEM Integration and do your own speaker/amp combination outboard of that processor.

Reactions: WAL1066

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, with custom-added always-on auxillary power for an inverter, 3x DC jacks, and a radio transciever.
639 Posts
This may seem like a dumb question...but you went thru all the head unit settings right?

Every car I've looked at (from any dealer in my area regardless of brand, new, or used) the salespeople have the sound levels screwed up to try and "make it more impressive". I was slightly bummed how hallow and thumpy the sound was until I realized that it was set to max-forward, max-bass, half-trebble, min-mid-tones. When I put all the sliders back around the center now it's the best sound system I own (short of the 5.1 surround that I can't have bass due to apartment). Then again, every other car I've driven I was content with the "stock" audio too with the only disappointment being most of them had no aux-in capability.

A few weekends ago when I tried a 2018 Outback "for fun" it was the same thing. Dealer had it so it was dull-ly thudding away shaking the mirror and door panels but sounded like it was just farting out noises until I tracked down the adjustments and re-centered them.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,198 Posts
< rant mode > You've clearly not sat in a Subaru with the McIntosh system, nor do you seem to realize that some of us want BOTH: superior handling , as well as an amazing audio experience. Any and all cars can be modified to have a nicer sounding audio system. Pick the best mechanically, and upgrade the audio.

https://www.forbes.com/2001/01/29/0129test.html
< /rant >
(or I'm too tired to see sarcasm, if that's the case, my bad; otherwise it still stands)

On topic: modifying a factory system with an amplifier already in it is a pain in the ass, but not impossible. You may have to resort to something like what JL offers for OE integration: Car Audio - Processors - OEM Integration and do your own speaker/amp combination outboard of that processor.

It's called humour guys. Something us Aussies have a lot of. Or our style might just be a little different to yours. It was in no way intended to belittle the OP just a little humour so take a chill pill and relax.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,259 Posts
Judging by your questions, I'd say you probably don't want to mess with the amp (which has plenty of power so long as you don't swap in massive speakers). As others have suggested, some rear fade helps significantly with the center speaker irritation. As for DIY mods, there are numerous threads in the Gen 5 forum describing such efforts - Google is your friend:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...amp-sub-2016-base-model-diy-instructions.html
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...339409-focal-690toy-speaker-installation.html
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...imited-harman-kardon-speaker-replacement.html
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...tem-speaker-replacement-sub-amp-addition.html

Since you say you want more bass, then you'll most likely need a powered sub with a large (12"+) driver, or at least something under the drivers seat (which can be smaller because it sends the vibration right into your seat). The HK system can make PLENTY of bass (have you tried the EQ?), but it doesn't dig deep - you need a larger driver that can move more air if you want to fill the car with bass. Just replacing the speakers (or amp) with something beefier of the same size isn't likely going to get you very far. Some tips here:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...tback-3-6r-touring-subwoofer-amp-install.html
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...9290-install-speakers-subwoofer-question.html
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ne-installed-under-seat-sub-their-2015-a.html

·
Premium Member
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,300 Posts
It's called humour guys. Something us Aussies have a lot of. Or our style might just be a little different to yours. It was in no way intended to belittle the OP just a little humour so take a chill pill and relax.
Now I feel like a total ****. lol I woke up to an e-mail notification and hadn't had time to process that...

back on topic...

well... maybe. depends if it's going to be tweak time or modification time.

·
Registered
2003 VDC
33 Posts
Heh heh. 2 points! :wink2:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the fader set to the middle of the rear seats and I still had someone in the back seat ask me why they can't hear the speakers.

·
Registered
STUBARU = 2016 Outback Limited with Eyesight (package23+) Lapis Blue/Ivory
30 Posts
Subie Storming and great sound isn't mutually exclusive. I have zero problem hitting mountain passes or beaches and doing a bit of bad weather hooling while quality tunes caress my ears. It's not always about "just" either/or. Sometimes the bigger the blizzard, the bigger the bass. I love combining a gale wind and blistering horn sections. Especially when whipping past "chain up" zones wearing swedish rally tires. yeehaa...

The OEM system is sub-quality. Both the HK, and the entertainment head. Plus the cars have always been too loud because of cheaping out on sound insulation.Subaru knows it. They can do better for the money.

·
Premium Member
2018 2.5i Premium - No Eyesight (and proud of it)
144 Posts
I have a Premium and did not care for the sound quality until I changed out all the factory speakers for Infinity brand. Much better Bass and great mid/highs too. Well worth the coin.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5-slow Limited
68 Posts
Sound upgrade

I have the fader set to the middle of the rear seats and I still had someone in the back seat ask me why they can't hear the speakers.

I have the same h/k sounds system and find the same issues.
I wouldn't recommend messing with the factory set up... it's tuned for it's max capacity.
To get a more even, clear, louder/cleaner, and even more bass sounding set up, replace the components.

There are so many different routs you can take. Budget is the largest determining factor.
A good option would be install an amplifier for the mids/highs, and for the woofer. So a 5 channel amp would do that perfectly. Replace the speakers in the front and rear (excluding the center). Replace the woofer too.
Have channels 1+2 for front, channels 3+4 for rear, and channel 5 is dedicated for a woofer.
This amp can hide in many different spots in the car, won't pull much power (so at most maybe upgrade your battery to a newer, larger one- sounds like a common outback issue anyways).

I did this for a living recently, (not anymore), but can help you select these products based on your sound preferences/expectations.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5-slow Limited
68 Posts
The OEM system is sub-quality. Both the HK, and the entertainment head. Plus the cars have always been too loud because of cheaping out on sound insulation.Subaru knows it. They can do better for the money.[/QUOTE]

Easy fix for the sound insulation issue! Good 1/2 day project and fairly low budget for allot of the road noise cancellation :nerd:

side note- great car for lots of bass potential

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,259 Posts
FYI, this thread is from October 2017, but +1 for starting with speakers (it's the standard approach to improving any sound system where speakers are relatively low end). There have been multiple threads in the Gen 5 forum over the years where folks appear to have resolved their biggest complaints with a simple speaker swap. It's inexpensive and easy to DIY.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im my opinion,your comment is so stupid,purchase another vehicle,why, because he not like the way the system sound,please.He looking for help

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im my opinion,your comment is so stupid,purchase another vehicle,why, because he not like the way the system sound,please.He looking for help

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,I have the h/k sounds system in my 2011 subaru outback,I want to replace my amp for 5 channel aftermarket one,any specific harness I can use to make this transition easy,thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts