Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 3.6R and the horn stays on intermittenly. It's embarassing and I've had to pull the fuse. I know some people have had similar problems with the fragile plastic assembly coming apart, I was wondering if someone had pinouts/directions so I can wire in an external horn button.

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2013 3.6R limited. 2006 Wrx Limited
120 Posts
Just my opinion, but it's not an 80 Chevy Malibu. Why not just fix it properly? If I can keep a 1999 forester going off eBay, so can you. I honestly think trying to rig something up is more work than fixing it properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because with the used airbags on eBay I run the risk of getting one with a broken horn button, and a new one is pricey. I have an external button I can mount behind the wheel that works fine. It's my beater, so it just has to work.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R limited. 2006 Wrx Limited
120 Posts
Because with the used airbags on eBay I run the risk of getting one with a broken horn button, and a new one is pricey. I have an external button I can mount behind the wheel that works fine. It's my beater, so it just has to work.
But have you diagnosed as such? It's your car, but if you ever go to sell it, good luck. It may be a bad clock spring?

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i CVT AWP
63 Posts
I had a broken horn contact on a 2002 GMC pickup. Removing the airbag and replacing the plastic horn contact was an easy fix. Just be sure to disable the airbag before trying to remove it.

Also a good time to replace the weak OEM horns with Hella Supertones or Hella Sharptones.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
461 Posts
Are you sure it's the 'button' in the wheel, and not the horn relay? - More times than not, the relay fails, as opposed to the switch/button in the wheel, when the horn is stuck on. The relay is super easy to replace, and more likely to become stuck on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts