Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at an R-Pod 171. Dry weight is 2500lbs-ish. Waiting to pull the trigger on the camper until I figure out if this is really doable or not. I k is the tow rating is 3500lbs, so I’m well within that. However, ratings on paper and the real world could be two different things? Anyone have info or experience towing this weight yet with their 2020?

·
Registered
2020 Outback ONYX XT, Blue with upgrade package
1 Posts
Not a camper but a teardrop fiberglass-on-metal frame Iron Horse 2-up motorcycle trailer. And actually was towing it with a 2016 Outback Premium. I used the trailer as my camper. One Harley Bagger and all camping gear. Trailer empty weight was right around 1200lbs. Bike at 900lbs. Then all the camping gear/clothing and accessories in trainer and car. Towing capacity of the Premimum was 2700lbs, if I remember correctly. Worked great although the combined weight was probably very close to the limits of the car and requirements. Mountains were the worst! But the car handled east coast and hilly terrain like a champ. So I bought the XT for the same purpose (besides being a fan of the Outback). I figure the extra ~100ft lbs torque and same for Hp will ease the burden. I'm looking here for info since I need to get a hitch and install an electric brake system (again!) on the new one. I'll be watching this thread for info as it comes in.
I will say that towing close to or at the max weight is no fun in mountains. Serious grades will labour the car to the point its chugging like the little train that could somewhere mid climb! (I swear I heard her saying "I think I can, I think I can!"
And then the ride down..... I was worried about burning up the brakes. I used engine braking (manual shift to lower gear to keep from free fall into speed.) and the manual trailer brake to apply a little here and there to keep from riding the cars brakes. It can be done but its a tradeoff of energy and heat. On both sides of the mountain.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts