Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the Valvoline NexGen Maxlife? I have been trying to read up on the product and see what other people have to say about it on other vehicles forums (ford, chevy, etc). Many people are totally all for recycling used oil and some people are disgusted at the thought of using other people oil. The NexGen is supposed to be the same as the regular Maxlife (red bottle) but I have read it's slightly thinner. Some people have blamed catastrophic engine failures on it and others rave. I am of the opinion that recycled oil is cleaner and better refined than any crude right? Apparently this NexGen is not just filtered but re-processed and re-refined. I thought I would ask what some genuine Subaru folks would have to say about it. I am sure its fine and people LOVE to overreact, but why not use it right? I appreciate any thoughts and advice. Thanks

I posted a thread on winter oil for my GF's 1992 Legacy as well.

·
Super Moderator
12,119 Posts
If it meets current API specs, and it does, I would use it without concern.

·
Registered
187 Posts
It is probably safe to use. I wouldn't run super high mileage oil change intervals with it but it is probably just fine for normal use.

Me? I won't ever use it when Mobil 1 at Wally World costs just a little bit more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been using the maxlife nexgen in my 2002 outback since it came out. I haven't noticed any difference. There is no reason to recycle oil if no one is going to buy the recycled product.

·
Registered
108 Posts
People have been buying re-refined oil for some time, though they may not have known it. It's only the branding/labeling that's new. The stuff is refined, just like it was the first time, so it's completely comparable in all respects to 'new' (I use that term loosely :) ).

I have NextGen MaxLife in the Baja (turbo) right now. First drain; haven't analyzed it yet. Other analyses of NextGen show EXCELLENT performance.

·
Registered
766 Posts
used it girl's hyundai and on during the first 10k in the OB. Looks fine, car runs fine with the stuff in it. Looks just like the regular stuff and if the testing says its good...better yet.

They have given the stuff away with rebates at Autozone which made me happy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Instead of creating a new thread, allow me to discuss my experience with Valvoline nextgen. A disclaimer before proceeding, it could be possible what I used was badly stored in freezing temperatures and sold retail after the fact anyway or it's the nature of the oil, I don't know.

I put 5w30 in my wife's 09 2.5 OB about 1500 miles ago, this was when it warmed up but before the last frost. It seemed to be ok except it had a weird slight burnt smell to it when I opened the bottle, but it was clear so I figured eh, whatever.

About 1500 miles later, the engine is sounding pretty loud - a LOT like when I had an 02 hyundai that had moderate oil consumption and was low at the time (when you drive a car that consumes oil, you just know when it's time to put oil in based on how it sounds/drives). So I got around to checking the oil cold when it was maybe 20-35 degrees out. THE OIL WAS GLOBBED ON THE STICK LIKE TREE SAP AND DID NOT FLOW OFF LIKE OIL NORMALLY DOES. It wasn't even blackened yet.

I figured there was something seriously wrong with this oil being this thick, decided now would be a good time to switch the car to synthetic, did a change yesterday. The engine noise completely went away and now I get to spend the next couple weeks checking the oil levels to see if any leaks develop.

Your experience may vary and maybe the autozone I bought the product from was ghetto and something happened to the oil to make it go bad before sale, but I'll be damned before I touch that stuff ever again.

·
Super Moderator
12,119 Posts
Considering the multiple decent Used Oil Analysis that I've seen of Nextgen....something was wrong with your oil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts