Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a fairly new product, or just new for Subarus, but it certainly looks interesting to me. It's essentially totally hidden until you want to use it since the hitch receiver is removable from the main body of the hitch. Given that I just use a rack for carrying bikes, and that only a couple dozen times a year, this might be a really nice solution.

https://stealthhitches.com/

It would definitely be nice not to have a rusty hitch hanging down below the bumper after a few years (this hitch doesn't interfere with the crumple zone, either).

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited, 2013 Tesla Model S 85
1,059 Posts
Just a quick look saw only generic pics of not-Subarus and nothing about how the hitch mounts other than stainless steel.

I bought an EcoHitch because it mounts from the exact same points as the factory hitch. No holes to drill. No use of drain holes in chassis members to hang hitch. No cutting of exhaust heat shield. I did trim bumper, but the factory hitch does too.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a quick look saw only generic pics of not-Subarus and nothing about how the hitch mounts other than stainless steel.

I bought an EcoHitch because it mounts from the exact same points as the factory hitch. No holes to drill. No use of drain holes in chassis members to hang hitch. No cutting of exhaust heat shield. I did trim bumper, but the factory hitch does too.
The Stealth mounts just like the Ecohitch to the factory hitch points and does not affect the crumple zone. The video on the home page shows this. They don't say if the bumper cover has to be cut, but I don't believe so.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Outback 2018 2.5i Premium
167 Posts
EcoHitch Stealth vs StealthHitch

Just to really confuse you, Ecohitch also now has a hitch they also call "stealth" with the receiver being removable also. It has a simple bolt to lock it on the vehicle vs the locking taper of the SteathHitch brand.

EcoHitch Stealth ( for 2017 Outback) was currently listed for $ 376
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/EcoHitch/306-X7201.html

StealthHitch was $ 398 to $518 depending on style of receiver
https://stealthhitches.com/products/subaru-outback-2015-present

Both mount behind bumper.

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
56 Posts
Those run at over 150% of what the ecohitch is on etrailer. Not worth the increased price IMO.

·
Vendor
35 Posts
Hey Folks,
Stealth Hitches here, we would like to give you a little information on our design. Our hitch is designed to attach and detach in seconds without the use of tools.
The permanently mounted latch block is stainless steel so there is never corrosion issues from inserting and removing detachable accessories.
In regard to towing, the ball mount attaches directly to the "zero play" latch block, creating a tight connection. This eliminates the hammering effect typically found with a square tube connection during starts and breaking. This tight connection allows us to comply with both US and the more stringent European testing, that generally carries a higher tow rating.
If you would like to hear more details about our design please call us at 678-714-3592. We'd love to hear from you!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,193 Posts
Hey Folks,
Stealth Hitches here, we would like to give you a little information on our design. Our hitch is designed to attach and detach in seconds without the use of tools.
The permanently mounted latch block is stainless steel so there is never corrosion issues from inserting and removing detachable accessories.
In regard to towing, the ball mount attaches directly to the "zero play" latch block, creating a tight connection. This eliminates the hammering effect typically found with a square tube connection during starts and breaking. This tight connection allows us to comply with both US and the more stringent European testing, that generally carries a higher tow rating.
If you would like to hear more details about our design please call us at 678-714-3592. We'd love to hear from you!
higher tow rating as to Tongue Weight ? or tow rating as to Max trailer weight ?

(outbacks are plagued by a very small 200lb tongue weight, ....and other subarus are lower then that
(save the new Ascent with its 500# tongue weight,...but that hitch is way up in the body).

·
Registered
2019 2.5 Limited
2 Posts
Stealth Installed, Gen5

I put a Stealth on a 2019 since I already had a Thule rack and read the OEM receiver hole was too close to the face of the hitch to work. Aesthetics are good, here are a few pics. I had the installers make the opening a bit smaller.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts