Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Limited, OP#23
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Thule Doubletrack rack (990XT) similar to the Thule T2 9045.
The Thule fit guides and most of the manuals insist on a 1.5" pinhole depth (face of the receiver to the center of pinhole).
On the Subaru OEM hitch this dimension is about 1" (starting in 2014 or 2015 I believe).

This applies to the T2 Pro 9035, T2 Classic 9045, and Easyfold 9032. In fact the Thule fit guide even calls out Subaru (Forester and Crosstrek: "Thule has specifically tested the following Subaru receiver hitches and approved them for use with Thule Vertex 2 Bike 9028/9028XT bike carriers only")

So is anyone actually using any of these Thule racks with the new OEM hitch (1" pinhole depth)?

Have you taken any additional measures to address this (such as an extension or a clamp, like the hitch vise)?
Have you noticed any issues with it?

I was thinking of either drilling a new hole in the Thule stinger to give me another 1/2" insertion, or having an additional 1.25" collar welded on the end of my OEM receiver. Or maybe just bite the bullet and go to the Kuat rack.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT 5MT, 2016 Focus RS, 1991 GMC Syclone, 1965 Corvair Corsa Convt.
31 Posts
I know this is an older post, but having a Thule platform rack and a new (to me) 2005 OBXT, I am wondering this same thing. Getting ready to pop for a hitch and just trying to figure out if I am going to need a different rack too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
bump... I have a similar issue.
doesn't seem to be enough room to get the hook past the oem opening.
gonna try to have someone hold the rack up while I push it in... not ideal for sure.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts