Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a long drive in my new 18 Outback Limited tody, and boy do I have regrets. The seats are absolutely horrible!

Has anyone found a remedy for this problem? I wish I had known how unconfortable the seats were before I bought it, but on the test drive, I was paying attention to everything but. . .

·
Registered
2022 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT
126 Posts
Where is it located? You never know who might be looking.

OTOH back pain from seats isn't good.

Maybe it's a 'feature' to get you to stop and take a break while on long drives. At least a good used car salesman would try to use it as a selling point.

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,210 Posts
The 1st long trip I took in my outback had my back killing me. Did a bit of adjusting that helped a bit. Then I finally realized I had my seat back too far! It's been awhile since I had a car that I could adjust the seat back too far! Just got back from a nearly 12 hour 775 mile trip yesterday with only 3 Five minute stops and my back is fine!

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
533 Posts
I would agree with others that getting the seat adjusted right for you is key. I travel a lot in my 2016 OB Limited mostly because I hate short hop flights. I have driven from my home in CT to Nashville TN twice, once to Birmingham AL and yesterday I drove just over 9 hours to Charlotte NC. I stopped three times yesterday on the way down to stretch, pee and get water and coffee. I have no back pain. But everyone is different. I know there are companies that make after market seat bolsters so maybe try those. I’m 6’5” and 220 lbs, so I find airplane seats miserable and forget rental cars, I spend half my time getting those seats right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
227 Posts
SIMPLE SOLUTION

i get the large diameter swim noodle
cut it about 8-9 long
then cut lengthwise
trim lengthwise to fit
i have one in all my vehicles just in case
works like a charm
key: must keep your anatomy correct, namely your back lordosis must be maintained
try this before you sell, also works great on rental cars even if i have to ride in someone else car i even take on planes

·
Registered
2018 Limited
108 Posts
Took a long drive in my new 18 Outback Limited tody, and boy do I have regrets. The seats are absolutely horrible!

Has anyone found a remedy for this problem? I wish I had known how unconfortable the seats were before I bought it, but on the test drive, I was paying attention to everything but. . .
The statement is vague. What exactly is the problem? Lumber support?, lateral support? Seat cushion itself?

I have 18 Limited and the only complaint I have about the seat is that its too wide and lacks lateral support but is comfortable for the most part on the freeway.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I wish my seat was longer under my thighs. (closer to the back of my knees) and I wish I could raise it up about an inch more.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I find the driver's seat OK because you can adjust the height of the front of the seat. I'd like to shim up the front of passenger seat a bit somehow. I'll have to look to see how it bolts down, if it bolts to the floor I can just make up some spacers.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6R Touring - Crystal Black Silica
16 Posts
I have a 17 Touring and am very happy with the driver's seat, but not so much riding shotgun. I think this is because of the additional adjustments, so I'd follow the advice on starting there.

I've done many days of 10-12 hours driving and find the driver's seat to be great.

My wife complains about the seats in her 14 Audi Allroad, but at least the passenger seat is more adjustable compared to the Subaru. Funny.... IMHO.... driver's seat Subaru wins, passenger seat, Audi wins.

·
Registered
2018 H4 LTD ES
71 Posts
It took me a few tries to get a position I found comfortable. Still tweaking occasionally since I've only got 400 miles in, but for the most part I'm settled in now.

I agree with @mkg3 and @Balbino, I do wish the seat cushion were deeper and had more lateral support. I noticed the lack of lateral support on the test drives but not the cushion depth.

·
Registered
2020 OB 2.5 Limited
216 Posts
I have a 17 OB Limited and I really like the firmness of the seat, very orthopedic. to make up for the seat bottom being just a bit short I raise the front of the seat up just a bit. I drive the 18 limited and even though the seat looks the same it felt just a bit different, then I realized the density of the filling is not as stiff and it feels like they went with a memory foam filling vs the very firm foam on the 17. The 17 you sit more on the seat vs in the seat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts