Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyway to turn off the annoying seat belt alarm on the 2020 outback? I wear my seat belt religiously, however sometimes my dog will get in the front seat (she's usually in the back). When this happens the music volume goes down and that awful beeping starts until she moves or I buckle the seat belt. Anyway to turn this off?

·
Registered
88 Posts
No way to turn it off without tampering with the sensor. Some work around (grandfather did this) put the seat belt behind the seat and buckle it in, or just leave it buckled in the front. Now to play devils advocate, your dog should be belted in with a harness for your safety and theirs. If you get in an accident, that dog is now a missile in the car

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
467 Posts
very easily to over ride as listed two post above.
It works on 2020 s. To re set it simply disconnect battery for a minute and it will go back to chiming in case you miss it, LOL.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I just did it right now, and it worked.

I hit the start button twice, and the seat belt sign was blinking. On exactly the 20th buckle, it went solid.

I went at a rate of about 1 buckle/unbuckle per second.
Did you continuously hold down the release button for the procedure?

·
Premium Member
2020 Limited XT Autumn Green Metallic/Warm Ivory, Falken WIldpeak A/T Trail, OEM Skid Plates etc
235 Posts
I will have to try this, as I take off my belt as I am pulling into my driveway and it is loud and cuts out the audio - very annoying!

·
Registered
2020 Limited 2.5i Outback Magnettie Grey Metallic
238 Posts
Is there anyway to turn off the annoying seat belt alarm on the 2020 outback? I wear my seat belt religiously, however sometimes my dog will get in the front seat (she's usually in the back). When this happens the music volume goes down and that awful beeping starts until she moves or I buckle the seat belt. Anyway to turn this off?
Without pressing the brake pedal, hit the start button twice for ACC mode
Buckle then unbuckle your seatbelt for a total of 20 times in a 30 second period
Hit the start button without your foot on the brake pedal to turn the car ACC mod off.
Press the brake pedal and start the car.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Cinnamon Brown Pearl
379 Posts
LOL - Mine has apparently disabled itself. I have done nothing that I am aware of cause it. Warning light still works. :)

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight (Spouse's Vehicle) 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited (daughter's ride)
437 Posts
I didn't seen it mentioned, but the reason this is happening is that it's apparently a larger dog that weighs above the sensor limit. Below a certain weight it will not turn on the air bag for the passenger side. If the weight line is crossed, then the seatbelt is expected to protect the occupant...air bags can cause injury or death to someone not belted in. Obviously, the vehicle can't tell the difference between a human and a dog when that weight limit is crossed. :)

I do agree that animals should be restrained in some way when traveling in a vehicle for their and your safety, but realize that it's certainly a choice that one can make.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,853 Posts
I didn't seen it mentioned, but the reason this is happening is that it's apparently a larger dog that weighs above the sensor limit. Below a certain weight it will not turn on the air bag for the passenger side. If the weight line is crossed, then the seatbelt is expected to protect the occupant...air bags can cause injury or death to someone not belted in. Obviously, the vehicle can't tell the difference between a human and a dog when that weight limit is crossed. :)

I do agree that animals should be restrained in some way when traveling in a vehicle for their and your safety, but realize that it's certainly a choice that one can make.
Correct. Also, make sure you use the correct harness to secure your dog in the car:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey thanks for the advice guys! The trick worked! It tried it before, but I guess I was unbuckling/buckling too fast. Slowing it down made it work.

I also should get a harness for my dog. She's in my car a lot and I'd kill me if something happened that was preventable.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Believe it or not, I was a passenger in a car that went into a ditch and I actually caught our cat from being that missle. (My disclaimer-I don’t recommend this, for many reasons, but a long time ago we were young, dumb and oblivious to danger.)
Our cat just happened to be standing on the upright part of my seat back by the headrest when I realized we weren’t going to make that 90* turn on the snow covered road and I reached up, grabbed her and we slid the car into the ditch. Not super fast, maybe 35 MPH, but still hit the snow bank and came to sudden stop. Could not believe the timing, still to this day! I personally do recommend carriers or proper harnesses because we love our four legged canine/feline family members very much and my cat-like reflexes can no longer be trusted to pull off that maneuver!

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight (Spouse's Vehicle) 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited (daughter's ride)
437 Posts
If you think about it...an animal in the vehicle isn't unlike having a child in there when it comes to the laws of physics...a 35 lb being, regardless of species, becomes effectively a much heavier projectile when the vehicle stops suddenly and they don't. I forget the comparative number but it's many multiples of their actual weight, depending on the sudden change in speed from "moving" to "stopped". It can be very scary!

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
257 Posts
Very scary!
Our Dane stays in the hatch area behind the rear seat, usually curled up sleeping until we arrive.

I'm amazed when I see people driving with their little dogs on their lap between them and the wheel. Hello?!.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts