Subaru Outback Forums banner

Any way to turn off seat belt alarm?

58K views 58 replies 38 participants last post by  cerbomark 
#1 ·
Is there anyway to turn off the annoying seat belt alarm on the 2020 outback? I wear my seat belt religiously, however sometimes my dog will get in the front seat (she's usually in the back). When this happens the music volume goes down and that awful beeping starts until she moves or I buckle the seat belt. Anyway to turn this off?

#46 ·
New 2021 Outback. First post.

The 95# dog rides in the backseat, in a harness. All she has to do is shift her weight and the chime sounds.

1. How can I turn off the back seat chimes?
2. Will the rear side airbags deploy if the seat beat is clipped? I don’t want that either. The airbag will kill her, I’m sure.
3. FYI, the ”press the button twice and 20” worked for only the front seat belt chime, but it DID work on the 2021.

She’s a service dog who must ride in the backseat because the wheelchair goes in the cargo area.

Who can help me?

#49 ·
I was recently reviewing a set of customizable commands in SSM4, and seat belt chime was on the list. I don't remember if level '0' was really off or just muted, but it can be varied. Talk to your dealer. Some will do these things as a one-time courtesy.

#53 ·
I disconnected this yellow wire that routes under the rear seat and then connects at seat belt. Drove home from my parents and my dog never set off the alarm. Fingers crossed.

View attachment 518865
Can I assume this was for the wilderness? I'm trying to silence mine (im fine with the flashing alarm) as these warnings, compared to other cars, are crazy aggressive. Starts loud, than gets louder...and never stops or pauses like others.

#55 ·
I know Subaru says it is a cargo barrier, not a pet barrier, but we have one installed and our lab rides in the way back. She usually lies down on the floor and goes to sleep, but but even if she is up, she never tries to get through the openings on either side of the barrier so we think she is pretty safe back there.

My Miata has a key switch to turn off the passenger side airbag, so you can put a pet or child seat in the passenger side, but I expect those are only available on 2 seat cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.