Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found that Apexi makes a dry-flow air filter for 2nd gen Outbacks. Power Intake Panel 2000-2004 Subaru Outback, (EJ25/EZ30)
The cross-reference it lists is: OEM P/N Cross Reference: Subaru- 16546-AA020

Opposedforces.com lists Part# 16546-AA07A for my '03 Outback EJ25.

Does anyone know if the two part# are interchangeable?

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,972 Posts
I checked out the listings on Opposedforces, and something doesn't make sense to me. All the types of filter boxes used show the same filter element part number. I can't say for sure as I've not seen an example in person, but the type of intake setup shown in this post doesn't seem to use the same size airbox and thus shouldn't use the same size panel. However, the parts listing they have indicates just that. The other number I didn't track down all that well, but I'd be curious to see measurements on both numbers.

One thing I do notice about the Apexi unit is that they recommend cleaning the element with compressed air, by blowing backward through it. One of the criticisms of serviceable air filters is that they are often dried or cleaned with compressed air in such an aggressive way that the medium is blown open too large and allows larger contaminants through, and occasionally so badly that the element is effectively useless. I'd say if you're going to use air to clean it, be gentle with the pressure.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention that mine is a USDM model and not a JDM or EDM model. The picture in the link isn't of a USDM. My intake is below in the picture and filter goes in the box in the back.

The Apexi filter looks like it would fit, but i'm not sure why there are different OEM part# 's. I guess my best bet would be to measure my current filter and compare it to that of the Apexi.

·
Registered
120 Posts
the second gen had two different air intakes, i happen to have both. my 2004 has the aircleaner down by the light where as yours(and my 2000) is up by the firewall.

thats probably where the part numbers difference because my 2004 is about half the size of my 2000

i have seen a thread about aftermarket intakes tht addresses this issue i would look for help there

i would try and cross reference the number with a few other sites, or you could eyeball it.

**edit** i THINK it may have to do with California emissions i THINK.....i ran across that thread when i was looking for a CAI. wish i could help more

1 - 4 of 4 Posts