Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve posted elsewhere that after 6 months or so I got my new Legacy Limited XT last week. I’m extremely happy and have no complaints, not even about auto S/S. However when I got home I noticed what appeared to be scratches on the trunk lid. I contacted my salesperson and have now had most of the guys at the dealership look at it. And they all agree that it appears to have been done at the factory and then painted or coated over. The 2 marks are thin about 2 inches long and very difficult to see unless you’re at the right angle. I’m posting a picture below but the car is the black silica and very reflective so they are very difficult to see. If you look at my finger, it’s pointing toward them and they’re just at the left edge of the reflected clouds. They are the 2 vertical lines.

The dealership will contact Subaru and see what they want to do. The guys at the dealer feel that the only total resolution would be to repaint the trunk lid which they are more than willing to do. However they believe it would take a couple weeks, they would provide a loaner for whatever time is required. They made one attempt to compound the lines but that had no effect whatsoever. Whatever’s there had to have been before the final coatings were applied. My feeling is, and I told them this, if I had seen them 6 months from now I would have assumed I did something and other than maybe going to a detailer to see if something could be done, I would just ignore them. If the car was another color I think they would be more obvious and I would probably be more demanding. But in the black they’re barely noticeable unless you know where they are and look for them at the right angle. I don’t want to give my new car up for two weeks or more and risk the finished repaint look not quite right.

So my inclination right now, until Subaru officially says something, is to ignore them and maybe get some freebies from the dealer which they are also open to. Any advice?

579DBC88-7BE9-42D9-9762-AAC934B23614.jpeg

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can't see them in the pic even after I zoomed in.
I don't believe there is a right/wrong answer...follow your instincts.
Some folks will insist that you paid a lot for the car, it should not come from the factory that way, you need to make them make it right. I'd be inclined to think it'll have a few bumps and bruises within a few months anyway so why bother.
But it's up to you.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd be inclined to think it'll have a few bumps and bruises within a few months anyway so why bother.
That’s why I mentioned that if it had been a few months before I noticed them I wouldn’t have said anything other than going to the business that I have wax and detail my cars occasionally to see if they could do something simple. The lines are actually more noticeable in the picture than they are on the car. If you go about 2 or 3 inches from the tip of my finger the first line is just at the edge of the cloud and the second line is about an inch or so away to the left parallel to it.

My main instinct is to ignore them and see if I can get some freebies tossed in. Unless Subaru decides they want to do something else.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
719 Posts
Those are pretty noticeable, up to you the owner as to how much they bug you. I pretty much know where every nick, chip, whatever is on my cars, and as they get older I get a little more tolerant, but not much. When the Subaru authorized body shop failed three times in three weeks to match the color when they repainted ours after a deer strike, I took it to another non Subaru body shop who did a perfect paint match. I would never had been happy with the mismatched paint from the first body shop. So you need to consider whether you'd be happier with it as is, repainted and possibly not matching, or the third option, which is to swap trunk lids from another car with the same color, because that's the only guarantee of a perfect paint match with factory finish. One of the parts of our car the Subaru shop couldn't match was the front bumper cover, so they ended up swapping a bumper cover from another new Outback, and it was a perfect match. They started doing the same thing with the side, swapping doors from a new car (which was a perfect match because our car was only a few months old), but hit a roadblock because they messed up the paint on the rear quarter panel which you can't swap with another car. So in the end they took back the new car door, sent another new door from the factory to the second body shop, who then installed it and repainted the entire side of the car. So it was a hassle, but we ended up with a car that looks new again. All of this to say that if you do pursue this, I hope you have a lot less hassle than I did. If they swap the trunk lid for you that would be ideal. The sad thing in my case is the mismatched bumper cover from my car is now on somebody else's car. Will they ever notice? Maybe. Is what the dealer did unethical? Perhaps, because they did it without telling me because they didn't think I would notice, but I did. Their explanation is that some people are pickier than others, so what you and I notice might pass by somebody else. Ultimately I let the dealer decide what parts they scavenged from another car to leave on mine and what to take back. My case is not unique, as I recently heard of another example where a dealer swapped parts from a new car to a customer's car because it was the easiest way to make the customer happy. Probably happens more than we know about. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
swap trunk lids from another car with the same color, because that's the only guarantee of a perfect paint match with factory finish.
Thanks for that, it didn’t occur to me before but that would be the ideal solution. The repainting would not be something I’d pursue. I have a body shop that I’ve use several times over many years and they do fantastic work. If that was my choice I’d go to them but of course at my cost. But your suggestion, since my car is so new, is the way to to go and I will jump at that opportunity. But otherwise I will leave well enough alone. It’s funny that in the picture because of the blue sky and the clouds the lines are much more noticeable. On the black trunk lid they have to be looked for from a certain angle. Otherwise you’d never see them. Thanks again for the idea, I will pursue that and see what they say.

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT
25 Posts
Imo, cosmetic damage from the factory is unacceptable. SOA needs to make it right one way or another. Either fix the flaw or have them reimburse you for cost of repairing it. They are capable of doing either. Contact SOA directly if you haven't done so. You get quicker results that way. Don't completely rely on the dealership to fight for you.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Those are pretty deep gouges and I would be looking for evidence that your trunk lid had been damaged and re-painted AFTER it left the factory.

For example, other areas of your car's paint may have the subtle waviness of sprayed clear, but if your trunk lid is flat as glass, it's been sanded. A normal factory clear coat is not sanded - it's sprayed and it is what it is.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
490 Posts
I can't see them in the pic even after I zoomed in.
I don't believe there is a right/wrong answer...follow your instincts.
Some folks will insist that you paid a lot for the car, it should not come from the factory that way, you need to make them make it right. I'd be inclined to think it'll have a few bumps and bruises within a few months anyway so why bother.
But it's up to you.

Right here. Looks like transit damage touched up. I’d make them repair and repaint.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Right here. Looks like transit damage touched up. I’d make them repair and repaint.
@rfuree11 you work in the body repair business right? 40 years ago I had a dealer-repaired paint job that did not last long. It was on the roof of a car. Ever since then I have been convinced that factory paint is much stronger than refinished paint, but I know that paint technology has changed in 40 years. How can one be assured that a repainted re-cleared panel is as durable as a factory painted one?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,593 Posts
@rfuree11 you work in the body repair business right? 40 years ago I had a dealer-repaired paint job that did not last long. It was on the roof of a car. Ever since then I have been convinced that factory paint is much stronger than refinished paint, but I know that paint technology has changed in 40 years. How can one be assured that a repainted re-cleared panel is as durable as a factory painted one?
and that it will fade at the same rate over time?

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
490 Posts
I do and you can’t. That said, most body shops use the same paint systems that the manufacturers use or something equivalent. Modern paint systems are very good and most of the issues now are actually with the painter/prep and not with the paint itself. The body shop will also likely guarantee the work. Black is easy to match and the odds of it failing very early are low. Those gouges are gross and I wouldn’t want them. Also, it’s a trunk lid. They are cheap and easy to repaint.

For something like a roof or a quarter panel, I’d be more leery of breaking the factory paint, but on a bolt on part, it’s not as big of a deal. It’s not like Subaru paint is any good anyway 🤣

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. The repainting option just doesn’t appeal to me and i will refuse if that’s the offer. Swapping for an identical trunk lid(with spoiler) from the factory would be the ideal solution and the least time consuming I think. Since the car isn’t even a week old matching won’t be an issue. But I have to say I’m kinda leaning towards getting free service for a year or two or something equivalent. Other than that area the car is flawless and that area is glass smooth.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 100,000+ miles
4,946 Posts
@Jp1975 there were plenty of eyes on that car prior to delivery. With stuff like this I really don't know what to think but I have a hard time doing anything other than just accepting what happens and moving forward either fixing the damage yourself or not. If you can get Subaru corporate to help you out then go for it.

Based on my experience in Subaru sales, all vehicles are inspected by the delivery truck driver and then they are supposed to have that inspection verified by receiving dealership personnel to verify the inspection and sign for the vehicles. Prior to the delivery the vehicle is inspected by detail staff, the guys I have worked with let the sales department know of ANYTHING that might be a red flag. I have sold plenty of new cars with damage under agreement that the issues will be corrected at a future date.

And please do not take this in an accusatory manner, but I have also had some customers take home new cars that I know **** well were in as best condition as we can make them return to the dealership soon after purchase claiming damages that are anyone's fault but theirs. Among the first new cars I sold when working in Indiana was a new white Crosstrek a young couple took home and returned with within an hour with a huge black scratch in one of the front doors. It is near impossible that someone WOULD NOT have seen that prior to delivery. It is pretty obvious that they ran into something, probably in their garage, but because the wife was in such a foul mood we extended some good will and fixed it for them.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
And please do not take this in an accusatory manner, but
Just in case you missed it, the deep gouge is beneath the clear coat. There is no way he could have done this himself unless he literally gouged the paint through the clear-coat, then had it re-clear-coated.

·
Registered
469 Posts
One option here, that I used, quite some years ago, is to have a dent/ding shop (one with a GREAT rep, locally) fix it.
A really good tech can usually fix this type of thing, with a bit of heat, and sort of moving-the-paint-around a bit, it's an odd process, but it's very effective, and in the long-term, IME, it's all the same.

I took delivery of a used 911, back in the 90's, that was supposed to be super-clean, in this regard (pics had no evidence, but digital pics back then weren't the same, by any stretch). There were a couple of similar scratches on one of the front-quarter panels, and the delivering dealer (Porsche dealer was the go-through) said they had an independent shop who could do this, no-problem (dealer has a pretty good rep around here). They said that they'd pay for it, and if I didn't like it, I didn't have to accept the car, they'd refund 100% of the whole bit (transportation, transfer, etc).
I looked into the shop (they were a dent/ding and detail shop, entirely), and indeed, they got fantastic reviews for their work here.

I was pretty amazed at the results, it was literally indistinguishable from essentially a perfect, non-scratched surface, period (I'm pretty darn particular about this stuff, too), at ANY angle, I even got down there with a loupe. It also lasted, 11 years, zero issues with that part of the finish, until I sold it.

Obviously, the details of those scratches would need to be examined, by a tech/shop, to determine viability; I sort of doubt the pics are sufficient. The pics do look pretty similar though, to my before-results (I have pics from after, but not before, it was a different time, in terms of digital photography...).

Anyway, that's my $0.02. I've had poor-fair results with most attempts at color-matching, as others have mentioned (the particular part, again ;-]), so I personally wouldn't go that route.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 100,000+ miles
4,946 Posts
Just in case you missed it, the deep gouge is beneath the clear coat. There is no way he could have done this himself unless he literally gouged the paint through the clear-coat, then had it re-clear-coated.
My thought is why was this not addressed by someone prior to delivery if it was so obvious? I am not looking to assign blame here, I am also wondering why this is only being noticed after delivery?

I am 100% in favor of complaining about this to the dealership and Subaru corporate, but I do find it bizarre that it was only noticed after delivery. If anyone had known about it and it was delivered anyway, there is all sorts of wrong in this.

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6R Touring [ex-'09 OB Ltd. (2009-16); ex-'01 Audi A6 Avant (2001-2009)]; '14 Impreza Sport Premium
854 Posts
Definitely looks like delivery damage. It should be easily fixed by a good quality shop imo /ime. It definitely should have been caught in PDI.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Several of the cars that are on the lot, including my wife’s Onyx that had recently been delivered still had that white sheet, don’t know what that material is but I’ve seen them on the trucks covering the hoods and trunks of cars. Mine was delivered the evening before I came in so I don’t know when they would have removed that covering. If it was evening I don’t think they could have seen it. I only saw it because I was checking the trunk out at home and when I lowered the lid I saw them as the sun came to the right spot to illuminate them.

Without catching the sun correctly you couldn’t see them. With the clouds over head and the glare you just can’t see them. If I stand to the right of the trunk they disappear but get more towards the center and the left and you’ll see them. The service manager couldn’t even get a picture of them with his phone. I had to get this one to him. And that took me 3 or 4 tries to get this. The area is very smooth and they can’t be felt. If I had dragged something with 2 sharp points across I think they’re be fairly rough.

I’m 50-50 about whether to get the lid replaced, if they offer that, or just live with it. Most of the time even I wouldn’t see them unless I stand at the right angle. My wife thinks just getting several free service visits would be enough for her.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts