Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
My thought is why was this not addressed by someone prior to delivery if it was so obvious? I am not looking to assign blame here, I am also wondering why this is only being noticed after delivery?

I am 100% in favor of complaining about this to the dealership and Subaru corporate, but I do find it bizarre that it was only noticed after delivery. If anyone had known about it and it was delivered anyway, there is all sorts of wrong in this.
I had this same thought, how it got missed. The only thing that comes to mind, is taking delivery after dark, in not-so-great lighting, and the delivery process, including the walk-around, not being very thorough. It's pretty obvious looking in the pic, to me, but the angle-thing can be deceiving, if it's not very deep, IME.
When it was all said/done, on my paint fix (the heat/move thing), it was only a couple of hundred bucks, but that was back in 98...

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
880 Posts
So much for QA at SIA. If the money part has not been finalized yet I ask for a deeper discount and live with it

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 100,000+ miles
4,948 Posts
Just so I can be clear I am shocked and appalled that this car was delivered without this being acknowledged. Like I eluded to previously, it is always best to practice full disclosure with any damage and/or defects with a new vehicle from the seller's perspective prior to delivery. The dealerships I have worked at have taken the position of making absolutely certain that a customer is 100% committed to taking full possession of the vehicle in the event of damage/defect. They have to sign a written acknowledgement of the fact that they know what they are receiving as well as any conditions that apply such as measures to correct the issue(s), etc.

Not doing this opens you up to all sorts of liability and even legal ramifications not to mention potential reprimand from Subaru corporate. This instance seems like a total failure from when and where the car was originally damaged to post-delivery.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The only thing that comes to mind, is taking delivery after dark, in not-so-great lighting,
I’m glad you said that. We just went out to walk our dog for the last time this evening. It was 8pm where I am in Maryland, still light out but the sun is below the horizon. I intentionally walked behind my car and as I walked past it I kept looking at where I know they are and could not see a thing. If the car got to the dealer around the same time the evening before I got it they would not have been able to see it. They're really only visible in the daylight with the sun at the right angle. In my picture you can’t even tell that’s a black car in the photo, I think the scratches appear because of the blue sky in the reflection. I’ll see what they want to do, they said they’d leave it up to Subaru. I don’t want any repainting, it’s just not worth the risk that it wouldn’t come out perfect. Swapping the lid with a new one from the factory is acceptable since that could be done in one morning, I think. Or another $500 coupon to be used for service appointments would be ok;)

·
Premium Member
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R Crystal White Pearl/black interior
371 Posts
Those scratches are huge! I would absolutely have them repaired as they would bug me every time I saw them.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx / ICM
26 Posts
My 2020 Onyx came with small vertical dents on both sides of the plastic trunk lid finish. Also a dent on the door, and a dent on the rail from some idiot at the factory leaning on the car. Had the dents removed, but the dent on the tailgate finish cannot be fixed unless you get a brand new part. I dont want them taking apart the interior because i dont want any rattles. This is my first US-assembled Subaru and I have to say my last 3 Japan assembled Subarus didn't have this issue. I got the car with all the plastic wrapping still on, so it wasn't like it sat on the lot for an extensive period of time or had people going in and out constantly. I think it happened either during manufacturing Or during delivery (loading/unloading off the train). Either way, no one will know for sure.

If you watch the assembly footage you can see how some bumbling idiot could have leaned their weight into the car.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Those scratches are huge! I would absolutely have them repaired as they would bug me every time I saw them.
They look worse in the picture than they do on the car. Not that I’m making excuses but one is about 2 inches long and the other a little less. When you see them against the black background of the trunk instead of the reflected sky they look much less horrific:)

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
139 Posts
Be glad you noticed the issue as soon as you did. Have you posted on the Legacy forums to see if anyone else has had a similar issue?

Really glad I took delivery if my transported OB at the shop that did my PPF. The inspection we put it through was rigorous and made any issues we discovered something the dealer or transporter had to take liability for.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I’ve posted elsewhere that after 6 months or so I got my new Legacy Limited XT last week. I’m extremely happy and have no complaints, not even about auto S/S. However when I got home I noticed what appeared to be scratches on the trunk lid. I contacted my salesperson and have now had most of the guys at the dealership look at it. And they all agree that it appears to have been done at the factory and then painted or coated over.
I would not expect anything less. The dealer is not going to accept responsibility for something that may or may not have occurred while the car was in their control. Could have happened at the plant, in transit or by a customer after the car was prepped for delivery and parked on the lot.

Personally it would not bother me. If it did, any good painter can repair that and you will never notice. The whole it will fade, it won't last, blah, blah, blah. is just idle speculation. Paint correction happens every day at port and dealers. Many have no idea how many times they have purchased a shiny, new vehicle that had body work and paint prior to delivery.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,603 Posts
I’m glad you said that. We just went out to walk our dog for the last time this evening. It was 8pm where I am in Maryland, still light out but the sun is below the horizon. I intentionally walked behind my car and as I walked past it I kept looking at where I know they are and could not see a thing. If the car got to the dealer around the same time the evening before I got it they would not have been able to see it. They're really only visible in the daylight with the sun at the right angle. In my picture you can’t even tell that’s a black car in the photo, I think the scratches appear because of the blue sky in the reflection. I’ll see what they want to do, they said they’d leave it up to Subaru. I don’t want any repainting, it’s just not worth the risk that it wouldn’t come out perfect. Swapping the lid with a new one from the factory is acceptable since that could be done in one morning, I think. Or another $500 coupon to be used for service appointments would be ok;)
JMHO but $500 of service labor is chump change to get them off the hook . At minimum, ask for $1500 cash or a 100K mi bumper to bumper extended warrenty...

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,569 Posts
My 2020 Onyx came with small vertical dents on both sides of the plastic trunk lid finish. Also a dent on the door, and a dent on the rail from some idiot at the factory leaning on the car. Had the dents removed, but the dent on the tailgate finish cannot be fixed unless you get a brand new part. I dont want them taking apart the interior because i dont want any rattles. This is my first US-assembled Subaru and I have to say my last 3 Japan assembled Subarus didn't have this issue. I got the car with all the plastic wrapping still on, so it wasn't like it sat on the lot for an extensive period of time or had people going in and out constantly. I think it happened either during manufacturing Or during delivery (loading/unloading off the train). Either way, no one will know for sure.

If you watch the assembly footage you can see how some bumbling idiot could have leaned their weight into the car.
Most likely the dents happened either at the dealership or during transport from the factory. QC at the factory would catch that type of damage and fix it before they would allow it out of the plant.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
They look worse in the picture than they do on the car. Not that I’m making excuses but one is about 2 inches long and the other a little less. When you see them against the black background of the trunk instead of the reflected sky they look much less horrific:)
you can duplicate that... get one of those sprayer bottles from home depot, like the kind you put windex in... fill it with whatever detail product you like. Now put the bottle on the trunk. Let it slide around just a bit. The sharp plastic mold protrusions on the plastic bottle will make marks just like that in your clear coat. whatever subaru uses is really prone to this stuff, just be aware of that.

·
Registered
2019 OUTBACK 2.5 TOURING
81 Posts
JMHO but $500 of service labor is chump change to get them off the hook . At minimum, ask for $1500 cash or a 100K mi bumper to bumper extended warrenty...
They are not "on the hook". By contract they owe the customer the repair of the paint flaw present. To paint a deck-lid is around a $400 repair in most markets in the country. It is a simple repair done daily. Asking for $1500 in cash is simply demonstrating how to be an unreasonable and thieving consumer!

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
1,999 Posts
Possibly inquire if Subaru can cross-ship a prepainted trunk lid. Probably a better chance of a match than a body shop?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,603 Posts
They are not "on the hook". By contract they owe the customer the repair of the paint flaw present. To paint a deck-lid is around a $400 repair in most markets in the country. It is a simple repair done daily. Asking for $1500 in cash is simply demonstrating how to be an unreasonable and thieving consumer!
I'll respectfully disagree and take offense that you would call somebody "theiving" for trying to get the dealer to do the right thing. Subaru has sent me 6 different surveys about my satisfaction since Dec. Two specifaly on the purchase process. The dealership pleaded with me (in three different departments) for a perfect score for the dealership , ( I got the impression that their rating directly reflected $ from Subaru but don't know the specifics.) Do I expect $1500 cash to be paid the OP? No. Do I think they could eat their cost on a like priced extended warrenty? Maybe. Do I expect that not settling for their first offer for a touch up vs holding out for the new hatch skin to fix it right is likely? Yes. What is a faded hatch paintjob going to be worth in devaluation in 4-5 years? What's the loss of the thrill of a perfect new car worth now? What's the loss of another futurecustomer and more bad press worth to Subaru and the dealer? Allot.
IMHO, they caused it, it's not up to the consumer to settle for anything less than what makes this right and fair on a $30-$40K purchase.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Somewhat random reply to this thread: Pre-delivery inspections for the most part are box checking exercises. This is what I documented as the first service entry when I picked up our 17 OB from a reputable Chicago area dealership. The first column is mileage, second is the same date we purchased the car, then performed by, and details. Disregard the number 7 item, as, if the lug nuts were over torqued, they would not have turned any at all! My goal was to ensure that they were tight to begin with. The tire pressures (# 2) were over inflated and out of whack on all 4 wheels; I adjusted the tires a psi above recommendations. I do not agree that the WW fluid and coolant levels should not be topped off as part of pre-delivery service. Some might argue that they were not below the minimums, and that is what matters. It was my choice not to have them re-touch the car when I noted the levels were low prior to picking up. The less the dealer touches the car, the better has been my experience.

When I picked up my 2018 Titan from another Chicago area dealership, the tires pressures were at least 8 to 10 psi over the recommended 35 psi. Plus the fender mounted antenna had black powder coat damaged where they held a metal tool (pliers) to tighten it into the fender as part of their preps. This they fixed with a new antenna. I took care of the pressures.

Now for the topic on hand, the OP's scratches are more serious. I am sure Subaru will address the issue to the OP's satisfaction.

5007/30/2017Self1. Checked oil level on new car - OK2. Adjusted tire pressures on cold car to 36 psi front and 34 psi rear. They were not adjusted properly.3. Added windshield washer fluid to reservoir to full as it was low; not low enough for the warning lamp to come on.4. Noted that the coolant level was right at the low point on the cold engine. To top off.5. Checked the car out visually. Noted sticky adhesive residue on drivers door threshold and dirty spots on dash. To clean up.6. Noted that the micro SD car door was not shut flush with the radio/navi unit. Aligned the catch and gently shut the door flush; no issues.7. Checked the torque on lugnuts with a torque wrench set at 89 ft-lbs. All nuts were OK with no turn noted.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6R Touring [ex-'09 OB Ltd. (2009-16); ex-'01 Audi A6 Avant (2001-2009)]; '14 Impreza Sport Premium
856 Posts

As my paintless dent removal expert told me a couple years ago after undoing some salt truck door dimples, on my then-new OB, Subaru sheet metal is about as thin as it comes. It takes very little to crease or dent imo/ime.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Bottom line..... a lot of vehicles sustain damage in transit and are repaired at depots or the dealerships..... in this instance it’s obvious it happened somewhere in the manufacturing process,and not caught...... good customer support should dictate a trunk lid replacement in kind with matching factory paint that can’t be replicated by a body shop...... this provides the least disruptive solution form the owner. It’s not about $$$, it’s about customer experience.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Now for the topic on hand, the OP's scratches are more serious. I am sure Subaru will address the issue to the OP's satisfaction.
To give a little more perspective to my issue. This morning it’s overcast and when I went out to take a drive and bask in my admiration of the car I looked at the trunk lid and could not even see the marks. Because of the overcast conditions I had to move from side to side and move my head up and down to finally see a portion of the longer mark, the thinner one wasn’t visible at all. I’m not diminishing the importance of a manufacturing flaw, if this were a phone I would be given a new one from the manufacturer, and I’ve had Apple do just that with no hesitation. I would never expect a new car, and I wouldn’t accept one now anyway, I love this thing.

But a replacement trunk lid seems reasonable and really the simplest and least costly solution. I will not consider having it repainted. That just makes it equivalent to a body damaged vehicle. A new trunk lid returns it to a pristine new car. But because the marks are so minor and difficult to see even when you know they’re there I’m open to some kind of reimbursement such as a specific number of service visits. My time has some value as well and having to make several return trips to the dealer over this, especially if I were to accept having it repainted will become onerous. So a quick lid swap once one is shipped and received or service coupons puts the least burden on me.

From Subaru’s perspective, beyond appeasing me, investigating how this occurred, during manufacture or shipping would be important. Looking closely at the marks, they’re not through the paint, they are black but glass smooth. Either something dragged or applied pressure to the paint before the final coatings were applied or the marks were in the metal and the paint and subsequent coatings were applied over them. I have no expertise in this area so I may be completely wrong. But I would think Subaru would want to have this lid to examine and figure out where something went wrong.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,038 Posts
Asking for $1500 in cash is simply demonstrating how to be an unreasonable and thieving consumer!
Not sure I am with you on this one.
Asking for something, even if unreasonable, is by definition far from being theft.
Car dealers do it all the time. For example when they quote people the price for extended warranties. 😳 Still not theft though.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts