Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my 2019 outback 2.5i premium on Monday and we have noticed that while using both Apple Carplay or Android Auto if we move the phone while it is connect it shuts down on the Subaru screen. We have tried using multiple cables for both my wife's iphone and my android (oneplus 6t) but it does it with every cord and does it from either of the front usb ports. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this issue at all or have suggestions on how to troubleshoot. I don't think this is normal, so worse case scenario I will have to take it to the dealer to have them remedy.

·
Registered
345 Posts
[Message deleted because you had already answered the question I posted without reading your message carefully enough, and the darn new system won't let us delete posts.]

·
Registered
621 Posts
The headunit is very picky about cables.
For AA, OnePlus dash OEM cables worked the best, but we're not 100%. I could move my OnePlus5 though.
For Car play, again very picky with cables. OEM Apple cables work the best.
Get the shortest cable you can. I have a .5m Apple original lightning cable in my 19 Outback, and a 1m Apple original lightning cable in my 19 WRX. I did find that overall I had much less problems with Carplay than with Android Auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Perhaps moving the phone changes the display from portrait to landscape and that messes up the interaction? Doesn't explain why but who knows how these things communicate.

Fyi. I too have had this issue

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps moving the phone changes the display from portrait to landscape and that messes up the interaction? Doesn't explain why but who knows how these things communicate.

Fyi. I too have had this issue
Hmm I never thought of that. I will have to test that theory out. I have used both original cables and aftermarket cables, but I just read another post about android auto issues on this forum and a user suggested a specific cable they have been using so Amazon is delivering that cable Friday.

·
Registered
86 Posts
So I just got my 2019 outback 2.5i premium on Monday and we have noticed that while using both Apple Carplay or Android Auto if we move the phone while it is connect it shuts down on the Subaru screen. We have tried using multiple cables for both my wife's iphone and my android (oneplus 6t) but it does it with every cord and does it from either of the front usb ports. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this issue at all or have suggestions on how to troubleshoot. I don't think this is normal, so worse case scenario I will have to take it to the dealer to have them remedy.
I have had this issue with my 2018 OB LTD. I did get a new cable from Dollar General that seemed to work good. If its not a tight fit in the phone USB its more likely to have this issue. The phone port can become a bit worn and loose. I use a galaxy note 8 so the phone does not fit in the cubby and will slide around which causes cable to move and disconnect. So what I did was got some industrial strength velcro at Home Depot comes in these packs of little squares and circles....and put one piece on the lower part of my case and the other about two inches down on the side of the center counsoul....and my cable just hangs out of the closed cubby.....when I get in the car I attach the phone to the velcro plug in the cable and off I go....phone and cable stay secure and I dont loose the cable connection.

·
Registered
308 Posts
With my S6, the microUSB port on the phone end was the problem - moving the phone would cut the AA connection, and while various cables fit variously well, none was very stable. I haven't had any similar problem with my S9 (USB-C). Given you have problem with two phones, it may be a different cause. If it's repeatable, maybe try isolating the issue (tape the USB cable down at the car end so it doesn't move at all, flick the cable at the phone connector without moving the phone, tape the cable to the phone so the connection is isolated from cable movement, etc.). And, as always, blow the lint out of the connectors.

·
Registered
211 Posts
So what I did was got some industrial strength velcro at Home Depot comes in these packs of little squares and circles....and put one piece on the lower part of my case and the other about two inches down on the side of the center counsoul....and my cable just hangs out of the closed cubby.....when I get in the car I attach the phone to the velcro plug in the cable and off I go....phone and cable stay secure and I dont loose the cable connection.
I had thought of this as well but have had mixed success with velcro and the glue on hot days. I used to have a sticky mat that my wife bought at some dollar store but we couldn't find a new one so I ordered it on Amazon.ca for $5 with other stuff for free shipping. I stick this mat to my lid on the cubby and then lay my phone on the mat. Not perfect as the phone and USB cable take more room than is available if the phone is horizontal. Therefore I lay the phone on an angle. Gives me a stable place to keep the phone from sliding around.

The sticky mat will attract a lot of dust so you gently peel it off and wash it. It's that odd silicon sticky that doesn't leave a residue or wash off but the contaminants do with a little warm water.

Would have taken a photo with the phone on the mat but my phone is my camera. You gots to use your dimagination.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Wilbour
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing