Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I recently purchased a 2018 Outback. The biggest reason for choosing it over the 2017 was the fact that Apple CarPlay/Android Auto comes standard. Unfortunately, three weeks in, I?m starting to have more and more issues with being able to fire up Apple Carplay. The car does not recognize the phone being connected with USB and the CarPlay app is unavailable. How to resolve this? The only fix is to stop the car completely and have the head unit shut down and then try again but it seems to happen in a variery of scenarios ? both when plugging in the iPhone before starting the car and when plugging it in with the car running. Frustratingly, a full stop and shut down is only resolution.

Has anyone else experienced this? It is a car issue or a phone operating system issue? The USB Connection is fine and the phone always charges, the phone also goes into CarPlay mode but it does not become available on the head unit.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring Dark Blue Pearl, 2019 Crosstrek Premium CVT, 2017 Impreza 2.0i CVT, 2016 WRX 6MT ST2 FF
56 Posts
Perhaps try a different USB cable? The iPhone can be finicky with certain cables.
And try a brand new genuine Apple cable. A well used cable can often charge a device fine but fail with data transmission.

Also, are you running IOS 11?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Perhaps try a different USB cable? The iPhone can be finicky with certain cables.
And try a brand new genuine Apple cable. A well used cable can often charge a device fine but fail with data transmission.

Also, are you running IOS 11?
Yes, updated to 11 but the issue occurred in iOS 10 as well. Issue occurred with both Apple and non-Apple cable... so not sure whether it?s the car or the OS that has the issue. Since phone always starts charging the connection should be solid.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
The head unit in the 2018s is amazingly buggy.

A lot of what I’m seeing reported is commonly a result of uninitialized variables, which gives random results. There are other things that it may be, and apparently, it sounds like a number of them being reported may have hardware problems as well.

I’ve had weird results in regards to getting Apple CarPlay showing the application screen as it should be on the head unit with the phone plugged in (iPhone 7, Apple cable, both with iOS 10.3.3 and 11 and 11.0.1).

I’m not convinced they have a properly working implementation of CarPlay protocols.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited
213 Posts
Try cleaning out the lightning port on the phone with a wooden toothpick or compressed air. This solved my connection problems. I don’t have CarPlay but similar connection problems and charging failures. Apparently this is a common problem because the local Apple store person knew exactly what to do. Didn’t ask me any questions, just pulled a little tool out, cleaned the port and handed the phone back!

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver
432 Posts
Maybe you are wearing out the lighting plug on the phone. Just because you can charge it does not mean there are issues with the non-power related connections of the plug.

·
Registered
2018 Outback
14 Posts
Seems to be many problems with the head unit, mostly freezing from what I have been seeing. I have not used apple car play but only twice and have experienced no issues yet, but only had the car for a few days.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
6 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2018 outback but with android auto. I spoke with the dealership and they recommended I try plugging my phone in first than put the key in the ignition to turn the car on. It seems to connect more consistently now. She said the subaru head units are very glitchy and she actually has to do the opposite (connect the phone after she starts the car) to get it to connect. Give that a try and hopefully it works. That is the only frustrating thing about the outback but hopefully they have an software update that resolves this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Apple CarPlay connectivity issues

We have been having the same issue. We got ours at the end of September. The main reason we went for the 2018 was for CarPlay. The very first time we plugged into USB the CarPlay app didn't even pop up. You could see it in the background, but it was faint and you couldn't push it. After turning the car off and back on and trying again it worked just fine. However, it doesn't work way more often than it does work. And most of the time when it doesn't work the CarPlay app isn't even visible. Most of the time when it does work, it will randomly disconnect from CarPlay. If we unplug the phone and plug back in it will usually reconnect, but then a few minutes later it will disconnect again. After connecting and disconnecting several times it won't come back up. Sometimes during this process the whole unit will go completely blank and then restart like the car was turned off. This is very frustrating! We have tried 3 or 4 different cables, Apple cables and aftermarket cables, and there is no difference. It will charge the phone all the time. Also, if you go to the media app, it only recognizes Bluetooth connection to the phone. The USB connection is grayed out, even if the USB is connected. We have never been able to select the USB connection in the media app. The dealer has not been helpful with this. They just said that people are having problems with this! That's a **** of a fix!

Does anyone have any solutions for this?

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5 i Limited
9 Posts
Having the same issue with our 2018 Outback Limited. Carplay sometimes works and sometimes does not. Can't figure out a way to make it reliably work. Had to switch to using the built in Maps today even after stopping a couple of time to turn off the car and back on. I also tried restarting the phone. Very frustrating! Tried multiple cables and different phones. Same problem. To me the whole head unit is poorly implemented. I hate that the radio always comes on when I start the car. I just want to use CarPlay. I would prefer that it works wirelessly without having to plug in the phone. I also do not like that I get "signal lost" advisory messages. What is the point? It's not like I can do anything about it. Glad I decided to lease the car. Hopefully in 3 years there will be some usability improvements.

·
Premium Member
2008 Subaru Tribeca
889 Posts
There is an update at the dealer for most concerns, I would start there.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You may as well learn to live with a lot of these issues. Harmon builds the Boombox radios that are in the new Harley Davidson's and they are a true piece of crap. It will get better with time but I doubt you will ever see all the troubles clear up. I know on the Harley they seem to break something each time they fix something. The radio in my 18 Outback is the one week link in this car the GPS is awful. It is the most difficult GPS system I have ever seen. But back to your issue I have an iPhone and have had the same issue a couple of times.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver
432 Posts
You may as well learn to live with a lot of these issues. Harmon builds the Boombox radios that are in the new Harley Davidson's and they are a true piece of crap. It will get better with time but I doubt you will ever see all the troubles clear up. I know on the Harley they seem to break something each time they fix something. The radio in my 18 Outback is the one week link in this car the GPS is awful. It is the most difficult GPS system I have ever seen. But back to your issue I have an iPhone and have had the same issue a couple of times.
What does HD's lack of quality control have to anything to do with Subaru? As long as the issues are not hardware related, then Subaru will provide firmware updates that will address the issues. But if all of them were having so many issues, then you would see a class action lawsuit and Subaru would be forced to get a working unit in the hands of the owners.

If you believe what you read on here, the '17 HK w/GPS is total garbage but I have never had an issue with it. My iPod connects perfectly every time. The GPS while not having every POI I have looked for, neither has Google maps or Waze. It has never locked up and I find it pretty easy to find POI's....Maybe is it just me, I find tech really easy to figure out. Maybe that is why I don't see what is so "awful" in these systems.

·
Registered
45 Posts
What does HD's lack of quality control have to anything to do with Subaru? As long as the issues are not hardware related, then Subaru will provide firmware updates that will address the issues. But if all of them were having so many issues, then you would see a class action lawsuit and Subaru would be forced to get a working unit in the hands of the owners.

If you believe what you read on here, the '17 HK w/GPS is total garbage but I have never had an issue with it. My iPod connects perfectly every time. The GPS while not having every POI I have looked for, neither has Google maps or Waze. It has never locked up and I find it pretty easy to find POI's....Maybe is it just me, I find tech really easy to figure out. Maybe that is why I don't see what is so "awful" in these systems.
The reason I compare HD to Subaru is both systems are built and designed by Harmon Hardon. Also HK is who updates the radio software per the manufactures instructions. I think the GPS in the 18 is awful and I use Garmin and the gold standard. The 18 Outback is powered by Tomtom.

·
Registered
2018 Limited
108 Posts
After the latest iOS update, CarPlay does not connect at all.

I've deleted the connection and tried to reset up but the iPhone doesn't even see the car for the setup.

Any recommendations? Still cannot update the OB firmware via wifi. Taking the car to the dealer is the last resort, as it takes too much of time out of the day....

UPDATE: Did a hard reset (power+home buttons) on iPhone and now it works.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 Outback Apple Carplay issues

We have had problems with the connectivity. It connects then shuts off randomly - have to unplug and plug in again, which even then sometimes works and sometimes does not. It is particularly frustrating and dangerous when using the map in an unknown city and it just cuts out. We have had it back to the dealer several times and they put in an updated program, but it didn't help. They don't know what to do.

We also waited to buy the 2018 because we wanted the Carplay. It seems like Subaru has a problem...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I brought my 2018 Outback Limited in last week to the dealer because my CarPlay was dropping often. They preformed an update and said that should fix it. About two minutes into my ride home, it dropped again. I have not had it since. I have an appointment next week at the dealership to look at it again.

I just hard reset my phone as suggested in the earlier post and I will test it in the AM.

·
Registered
STi>Forester>Crosstrek>Outback
14 Posts
I have a similar problem yesterday while leaving work I go to plug in phone to vehicle and CarPlay works fine for everything sans texting and phone? Oddly it seems to lock out yet I could still access the screen on the phone while CarPlay played music or ran Google maps? I reset everything I could ( sans unplug car battery to reset vehicle electrical system, next step ) As of this morning commute the phone plugs in goes into CarPlay mode no problem and then about 30-60 seconds later disconnects and CarPlay drops completely both off my phone and off my head unit?

I am in a 2018 Outback 3.6 with a Apple iPhone X Using Apple cable to connect and have tried others to make sure it was not cable as well as tried both USB ports to make sure it wasn't port. Phone has the latest iOS. My vehicle only update its firmware when in my garage as that is the only wifi signal it accepts yet it stop working after returning from the office so nothing should changed firmware wise? Also iPhone did not have any updates yesterday either?

This is very frustrating as I last year I had a Crosstrek that had to have the head unit replaced twice, first do to touch screen becoming unresponsive and second due to USB ports failing to connect! ( luckily it was all under warranty but still a pain in the rear to have keep visiting dealership after work.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts