Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT - Black
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys has anyone heard about a possible update coming to make Apple CarPlay use the full screen on the 2020 Outback? From what I gather it’s not an issue from Subaru but rather an update that needs to be made by Apple to allow CarPlay to fill in vertically. CarPlay was updated in iOS 13 to fill in all different screen sizes but unfortunately that was horizontal screens. Any news or info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,237 Posts
Considering that at the auto show the Outback was the only portrait oriented screen I saw among all the many larger screens in cars, I am not guessing this is going to be a priority for Apple.
Having just started using apple car play - and I did just update to ios13 and noticed the changes - I am still not thrilled with car play. I dont seem to have much of any control on google maps on car play and it doesnt show me traffic and I cant even zoom it seems - maybe Im missing something - though it shows on my phone. Spotify sucks on the car play- again - lack of control, and the apple music app only shows "recently played" for anything.
I will be finding a way to mount my phone so I can just use that like I always have.
Car Play is neat in some ways - but really disappointing in others.

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,399 Posts
@Sequoia225 - I would recommend you ditch the Apple and get an Android phone. :devilish:
But seriously, Google Maps, at least on Android will show the road ahead of you with coloration as to congestion. It will announce slowdowns and recommend alternate routes and times saved or lost with those alternates. You can pinch-zoom with AA.

An alternative is Waze on AA. Waze is available for ACP:

As for other things like streaming music, playing music local to the phone, podcasts, and some other things, I find AA to be very functional and easy to use. If however you are invested with the iOS-space, then you just need to do more experimentation.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,237 Posts
@Sequoia225 - I would recommend you ditch the Apple and get an Android phone. :devilish:
But seriously, Google Maps, at least on Android will show the road ahead of you with coloration as to congestion. It will announce slowdowns and recommend alternate routes and times saved or lost with those alternates. You can pinch-zoom with AA.

An alternative is Waze on AA. Waze is available for ACP:

As for other things like streaming music, playing music local to the phone, podcasts, and some other things, I find AA to be very functional and easy to use. If however you are invested with the iOS-space, then you just need to do more experimentation.
I am not an apple fanatic - I was a PC guy my whole life until the industry I am in (which is ALL MAC among the major places I have worked) forced me to change (kicking and screaming).
I have had a few iphones, and generally have been happy, but like features of android phones for sure, that make it tempting (expandable storage space is one), but,
all the issues I have seen my wife go through with her Pixel 2, the whole time, has her going back to apple soon after 2 or so years, and hasn't sold me.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Touring XT Autumn Green
476 Posts
I am not an apple fanatic - I was a PC guy my whole life until the industry I am in (which is ALL MAC among the major places I have worked) forced me to change (kicking and screaming).
I have had a few iphones, and generally have been happy, but like features of android phones for sure, that make it tempting (expandable storage space is one), but,
all the issues I have seen my wife go through with her Pixel 2, the whole time, has her going back to apple soon after 2 or so years, and hasn't sold me.
I'm not an apple fanatic either but love my Macbooks. Been on them since 2011 and haven't looked back.

I'm on Android. Android Auto just works with both my Pixel XL v1 (which I just traded in) and my new Pixel v4. https://g.co/fi/r/HWW15F Google Fi had a promotion for black Friday with 50% of the Pixel v4 as Fi credit which has since looks like it was terminated.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
72 Posts
Having just started using apple car play - and I did just update to ios13 and noticed the changes - I am still not thrilled with car play. I dont seem to have much of any control on google maps on car play and it doesnt show me traffic and I cant even zoom it seems - maybe Im missing something - though it shows on my phone. Spotify sucks on the car play- again - lack of control, and the apple music app only shows "recently played" for anything.
I will be finding a way to mount my phone so I can just use that like I always have.
Car Play is neat in some ways - but really disappointing in others.
We have grown to love CarPlay—to the point where we installed a new head unit in our 2012 Corvette just to get it.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
1,010 Posts
Yeah, I think the same (or similar) issue applies both to new Dodge/Ram trucks, as well as to some Volvo models, which also have a very large, vertical screen.

Ironically, I think I read someplace that Tesla's (which all have a large, vertical screen, I think) don't even support ACP or AA. I find that hard to believe!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Yeah, I think the same (or similar) issue applies both to new Dodge/Ram trucks, as well as to some Volvo models, which also have a very large, vertical screen.

Ironically, I think I read someplace that Tesla's (which all have a large, vertical screen, I think) don't even support ACP or AA. I find that hard to believe!
It’s not hard to believe, Apple did not make the software library available in time for manufactures to include it, and develop for it for anything released this past summer. They only announced it at the summers developer conference and it requires a new software library from Apple, and programming, on the console as well as updated iOS software on the phone. Expect it to become more available next model year across manufactures.

However as I just mentioned above this has been discussed on another thread with a Subaru dealer employee saying that they were recently briefed that a January updated, which should happen over WiFi, will have the ability for CarPlay to accommodate more of the screen.

CarPlay itself, with the new library a manufacture must include, will also allow CarPlay to dynamically resize (like the Subaru Tom Tom embeded Nav can do) and can also support a secondary driver cluster display.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,339 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,631 Posts
Wow, that really looks like an afterthought .... Compared to that, the OB screen is nicely integrated!
I've been saying this since the beginning. Just look at the other designs! The OB in comparison looks positively luxurious! The only other design that remotely looks cohesive is Volvo's and even that looks kinda iffy:

Volvo:

RAM:

Ford:

·
Registered
871 Posts
It is still not clear if the effort to increase screen real estate needs initiation by the phone app people or the car people.
It’s pretty clear, you just may not be clear to you. The “car” people MUST include a specific software library version from Apple and they MUST configure it properly. everything about how CarPlay works with respect to the screen is handled on the console, either hard coded or via user actions (for dynamic sizes.) With CarPlay ALL user action is done via the console NOT the phone so nothing gets initiated by the phone other than plugging in to the USB port and authorizing CarPlay (a one time security action.)

·
Registered
871 Posts
New Volvo’s/Polstar’s are going to use a native Android car UI which will be very interesting to see and much better than the current Volvo screen software which is universally panned.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts