Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,631 Posts
Yes, although I’ve seen it referred to as native Android Auto as well. I’m not sure what the eventual branding on the Volvo will be, that’s why I was vague on my wording.
I'd switch to Android Automotive in a heart beat if given the option. Almost no auto company can design UIs better than Apple or Google. Especially for a display that is a blown up phone screen.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'd switch to Android Automotive in a heart beat if given the option. Almost no auto company can design UIs better than Apple or Google. Especially for a display that is a blown up phone screen.

It will also suppprt wireless CarPlay Which is something I wish the outback did.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium / 2021 Rav4 Prime / 2012 F150 ecoboost
2,675 Posts
I've been saying this since the beginning. Just look at the other designs! The OB in comparison looks positively luxurious! The only other design that remotely looks cohesive is Volvo's and even that looks kinda iffy:

Volvo:
View attachment 475010

RAM:
View attachment 475011

Ford:

View attachment 475012
LOL at the Ram and Ford, are they serious? ?‍♂
Volvo looks ok. I agree - the MY2020 OB interior is super nice, very upscale looking. The screen is big, but integrated the way it should be.

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,399 Posts
...but, all the issues I have seen my wife go through with her Pixel 2, the whole time, has her going back to apple soon after 2 or so years, and hasn't sold me.
Yep, my wife got a Pixel 2 and it was nothing but a PITA. Would not connect to our Outback, battery life was horrid, not really a great device. Now she's got a Samsung 10s, and it's night-day different, but to be honest, she doesn't want to connect it to the Outback.

I use an LG V30 and the AA functionality is excellent.

Get your wife a better Android for Christmas. Happy wife, happy life.

Now with respect to those familiar with the iOS-ecosystem, there's a good deal to like about it, specially if you are using Macs and other iOS-based devices.

My feeling is, use what is natural for you, and definitely, try AA or ACP, even if you have built-in NAV. While there are some advantages to built-in NAV, that value proposition wasn't there for me. People may have some initial hiccups, but once you have it working, I wager you don't go back.

FWIW - I am still having great success using a magnetic USB charging and data cable which saves physical cycles on my phone's USB-C connector. This is what I use at home (when not charging wirelessly in my office or kitchen) and in the car (note the included tips to work with USB-C, Lightning, and Micro-USB ports) :
Magnetic USB Cable Set

21 - 30 of 30 Posts