Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just announced a couple minutes ago in the Apple WWDC 2018 Keynote is iOS 12 will support third party navigation apps.

Bear in mind the non-beta release of major iOS versions tends to be sometime in September, and installing betas is always a risky thing to do, and is not a wise thing to do on your device you rely on, as various vad things can and do happen, and (at least in the past) once you’ve installed a beta OS version, you’re not able to get off of using betas until that major version is released as non-beta. There have also been times a beta version has expired before the next beta version was available to install!

You have been warned!​

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring, Dark Blue Pearl
141 Posts
I just saw the news, which is incredible and eliminates the one annoyance I've had with CarPlay. There have been some articles recently poo poo-ing Andoid Auto and CarPlay, and saying just use your phone and a BT connection, but after using CarPlay, there's no comparison. Being able to control podcasts and my iTunes library from the 8" touchscreen is a huge improvement, particularly because you are using a simplified interface optimized for use while driving. Far less distraction. Once iOS 12 is released and I can use Google Maps through CarPlay, I can get rid of my phone mount because I still use Google Maps for navigation over Apple Maps or the built in navigation.

I realize some on this forum say just don't use your phone. I agree, but I have to use something to help navigate, and Google Maps on the 8" touchscreen would be perfect.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
247 Posts
Can’t wait!

I prefer Apple maps over Subaru but Apple maps currently at least does not offline cache and hence if you are pretty remote you start driving on a blank screen.

I have had to switch to Subaru maps at that point.

With Google Maps allowing offline caching though that will be nice. Google traffic I find better too than Subaru or Apple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can’t wait!

I prefer Apple maps over Subaru but Apple maps currently at least does not offline cache and hence if you are pretty remote you start driving on a blank screen.

I have had to switch to Subaru maps at that point.

With Google Maps allowing offline caching though that will be nice. Google traffic I find better too than Subaru or Apple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Living and driving out in the US west since 2005, relying on cell signal (or any signal) is fraught with peril, as there are places you are shielded, if only at key moments. That’s a large reason having built-in navigation at all was a consideration: can’t depend on data you don’t already have on you.

An example: before I got this car, I hiked on Mt. St. Helens. That area in general is a cell signal deadzone, if only because they deliberately don’t encourage people to live too close. That’s not even close to the most remote place for signals!

Having Android Auto (though I don’t currently have an Android device) and Apple CarPlay are only as valuable as their underlying ecosystems, though admittedly, with the update history of this head unit, it’s not looking promising with it getting better.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
247 Posts
The one thing that's been keeping me from going back to iPhone.

Maybe this September when new models are announced ....
If Apple Maps allowed:

1. Offline caching
2. Better/more frequent traffic updates

I would not care about this new feature in iOS 12.

It certainly is fun though to drive in a remote area with no cell coverage ... and watch your car drive into blackness ... and then to get into cell range ... and watch your car come back on land.

Seriously though ... if they can figure out how to do 32 simultaneous group Facetime calls ... caching a map should be a simple task - no?

I will add ... that 95% of the time I am in cell range. However, when travelling to cities/destinations I have not been before, I do like to have cached maps just because I have no idea what the cell coverage will be like along the way and at the destination.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If Apple Maps allowed:

1. Offline caching
2. Better/more frequent traffic updates

I would not care about this new feature in iOS 12.

It certainly is fun though to drive in a remote area with no cell coverage ... and watch your car drive into blackness ... and then to get into cell range ... and watch your car come back on land.

Seriously though ... if they can figure out how to do 32 simultaneous group Facetime calls ... caching a map should be a simple task - no?

I will add ... that 95% of the time I am in cell range. However, when travelling to cities/destinations I have not been before, I do like to have cached maps just because I have no idea what the cell coverage will be like along the way and at the destination.
I'd suggest you file a RADAR, with a suggestion for a Settings for the size of the cache.

·
Registered
247 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
There is navigation software for the iPhone that stores the map information on the iPhone. Here's a free one that gets good reviews. MAPS.ME – Offline Map & Nav
Looks like Sygic and Maps.me are quite similar...Sygic also stores maps "offline"...good to know!

I use Garmin DriveSmart 70 LMT (large screen) both here and in Europe (with Garmin Europe SD card). I like their large screen so that I don't have to use my reading glasses..lol

I have also installed Garmin back up camera here in the U.S. on my car (bluetooth connected with DriveSmart 70).
That's the way to go with older cars here in the U.S.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/524669

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,659 Posts
Sure there is ... it just won't show up the nice large 8 inch Subaru screen as I am driving.
I thought this thread was about CarPlay being compatible with 3rd party map software in an upcoming model. Meaning the maps will show up on your nice large 8 inch Subaru screen. That's what I was responding to and about.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,659 Posts
Looks like Sygic and Maps.me are quite similar...Sygic also stores maps "offline"...good to know!

I use Garmin DriveSmart 70 LMT (large screen) both here and in Europe (with Garmin Europe SD card). I like their large screen so that I don't have to use my reading glasses..lol

I have also installed Garmin back up camera here in the U.S. on my car (bluetooth connected with DriveSmart 70).
That's the way to go with older cars here in the U.S.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/524669
On your advice I downloaded Sygic and it seems pretty good.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought this thread was about CarPlay being compatible with 3rd party map software in an upcoming model. Meaning the maps will show up on your nice large 8 inch Subaru screen. That's what I was responding to and about.
You are correct: this is a thread about third-party iOS applications used for navigation working with Apple CarPlay. If those third-party applications fulfill Apple's requirements, they'll show up on the 8 inch displays as fine as anything else is done via Apple CarPlay on the current (and future) head units.

One of the selling points for the 2018 over the 2017 for me was Apple CarPlay, because that ensured (assuming the head unit software wasn't a steaming POS that was problematic) the car as-is was future-proofed for navigation, at the very least: all the other things aren't as important to keep up-to-date, because really, if the radio works, unless there's a sudden transition to a whole new standard of signal like the transition from analog to digital HD TV, it's not an issue. But, keeping up-to-date navigation always available was a real consideration, because I expect to easily drive this 10 years or more, assuming something bad doesn't happen to it.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited, ES, HK, hitch, wheel arch moldings, Glasscoat.
79 Posts
Waze intregration would be most cool.
I frickin love Waze on AA. Makes navigating road trips a breeze.

"There's an object in the road a half mile ahead."
Yup. :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ah. I misunderstood. I thought you were implying it does now. Thanks for the clarification.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts