Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a new year, and a new decade. And Apple Inc. came up in another thread today about Subaru's "iSight" [sic] that caused me some pause .... but I digress. What I'm rambling about here by noting this triple juxtaposition is that ....

Wasn't Apple supposed to be introducing an electric car around now?

Here's all I can find on it - two years ago, of course, so take it with a grain of salt:

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
well, they still have about 7 weeks to decide to go all in I guess. Wonder how many camera lenses they'll put on the car?

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wonder how many camera lenses they'll put on the car?
I wouldn't want to guess, but I do have the feeling that it will be questions such as this that get the coverage, not the base performance specs of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
950 Posts
The article makes an interesting point about supporting older products.
In general, the tech industry abandons products after a length of time. That's just what they all do primarily for economic reasons whereas the auto industry can continue making money supporting older models until it reaches a point of diminishing returns ( no longer enough part sales to continue). However the auto industry's ace up their sleeve is the aftermarket parts manufacturing sector which continues to support for decades and longer. Tech painted themselves into a corner making their software proprietary and protected IP. I suppose they could sell rights to a third party to maintain updates but for tech products, that quickly reaches deminishing returns simply because most (but not all) users want the latest and greatest and that is where the tech industry business model focuses. It's been decades since Windows 3.0 was released and there isn't much clamor for wanting to fire up the old OS and take it for a drive.

·
Registered
515 Posts
apple car with walled in driving experience and apple only repair centers.

Case in point, try to get parts to rebuild a tesla that has been deemed a total loss...

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Imagine the dealership for those.... it would be like the apple store and 2001 a space odyssey had a baby. Plus the only extended warranty would be some crazy AppleCare car version that meant they couldn't fix anything, you bring the car in and they take it around back, then come back out with a factory refurbished unit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts