Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Outback 2007 3.0Rn 5EAT Wagon.
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come across a recommendation to not use cruise control during wet weather as it could result in increased risk during aquaplaning (if that occurs). Any comments/previous experience?

:iam:

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
Probably a lot more of an issue with 2wd than AWD, only because all the wheels will continue to spin at the same speed, and their is less traction (Loading) being used to propel the vehicle with the steering tires.. Most folks will lift their foot off the gas pedal when they sense the steering go light........The cruise control doesn't notice nor care, so precious time is lost, and (Worse) the brake pedal gets mashed, causing thing to spiral downward.

Cruise is best used on sunny days in light traffic. YMMV.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I've come across a recommendation to not use cruise control during wet weather as it could result in increased risk during aquaplaning (if that occurs). Any comments/previous experience?

:iam:
Well considering when you hydroplane the best approach is to slow down it makes sense that not using CC when conditions are poor is a good idea.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts
The myth is using the cruise control in the rain will send you spinning off the road as when a wheel hydroplanes the cruise nails the throttle trying to keep up speed.

The reality is as you hydroplane the car slows a bit so the cruise applies the throttle a bit, causing the wheel to spin up, which then causes the cruise control to release the throttle, and the wheel slows down, and the cycle repeats.

It's not really worse than hydroplaning and just leaving your foot on the gas (which is bad enough).

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts

When all else fails, R.T.F.M.

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,653 Posts
...I call it pavement surfing...and we all know that it does occur if one does not drive according to the weather conditions. You cannot avoid the laws of physics....

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6 Outback Limited, 2013 2.5 Legacy Premium
534 Posts
Is it really possible for people to NOT know to turn off CC in rain/snow? You'd have to be an idiot to leave CC on when you should be paying attention to conditions even more than usual.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
It is kind of a no brainer to turn off the CC in wet weather. I was taught that years ago by a 1978 Olds Cutlass Supreme. I didn't do it, a close friend had a pretty serious accident by leaving the CC on.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,567 Posts
You'd have to be an idiot to leave CC on when you should be paying attention...
The Social Security Administration requests that you don't interfere with natural selection.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts