Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT and 05 Outback 3.0R
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone install an arb awning on the Outback?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone install an arb awning on the Outback?
Yes. Love it. Put it on factory racks. BUT, it is about 5' 10" high so adding bars from Amazon for $76 would raise it another four to five inches. My immediate plan is simply to raise it a little higher 8 ft away from the vehicle and see if I am happy with it. I used slim shady mounts which are quick disconnects but are out of stock almost everywhere in the nation until early next year. You can find one part at etrailer.com but the metal secondary part is out of stock everywhere. I was able to find he set on eBay pure luck. the awning itself is very strong, the supports are strong, and the one we got for $153 included a light strip which runs off at 12 volt or a USB and comes with three different colors and a dimmer switch which works wonderfully.
No matter where you buy the ARB canopy you will find possible dents in the track and no bolts or mounting equipment included despite their claim to include it period no stakes or rope came with ours either. This seems to be the norm. The awning is wonderful especially with the lights but the mounting is critical and you'll have to fill in where they fail to fill they're into the bargain.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
842 Posts
I did the Dome 1300 by Rhinorack for the increased height and fact I could add a sidewall (and did) to preserve shade ability. I also used the Slimshady mounts.

I'm looking at having some extension brackets made to increase the height if placed across the rear of the vehicle (zipper tends to hit when opening rear and don't want possible scratching). If used on the rear rather than side, it will much more dramatically impact mpg. However, for me, that's also the best location for my use case.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Awning yes .... ARB no. I have a CVT (cascadia vehicle tents) that I've had for a few years. They all run super similar designs. I have it mounted to a yakima megawarrior with GZila Design Mounts. I have recently sold the basket and will need to be figuing out a new mounting system next season where it can sit with a roof box.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts