Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback non-turbo 5-manual
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to make my 2008 Outback slide on snow packed roads this morning. When I pushed hard on the break peddle I felt a vibration and heard a clatter. Is that how the anti-locking breaking system is suppose to behave?

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,109 Posts
Yes, and I've found that when I was sliding on a snowy road, applying the brakes too hard caused the ABS to kick-in and the car kept sliding, scaring the poo out of me as I started to drift into an intersection. Now, I gently use the brakes in snow and if the ABS starts to come on I let up off the brake peddle and start applying soft pressure again. Of course, if it is dry or just wet roads I use the ABS as it was intended, being able to steer while panic braking.

·
Registered
05 Xt beatin' to an inch of its life
545 Posts
^Agreed. The abs strategy can be awful in more situations than it should in this model Outback.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Touring Diesel 5MT
17 Posts
Yes, and I've found that when I was sliding on a snowy road, applying the brakes too hard caused the ABS to kick-in and the car kept sliding, scaring the poo out of me as I started to drift into an intersection. Now, I gently use the brakes in snow and if the ABS starts to come on I let up off the brake peddle and start applying soft pressure again. Of course, if it is dry or just wet roads I use the ABS as it was intended, being able to steer while panic braking.
You should also know that ABS won't work if your doing less than 10 km/h. I had to figure that one out during an less than ideal situation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts