Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking around for several months now and never can find an Outback with the features (exterior/interior color) in the trim level I want even though both are available in that trim level. Also, 3.6's are almost impossible to find in my area.

Has anyone had experience with asking the dealer to do a custom order for you and how willing were they to do so? Or are they going to have an attitude of "your only choice is what's on the lot"?

Thanks

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,308 Posts
its january, car sales are typically slow,

contact 4 or more dealers and ask. some will be jerks.

lots of people here have gotten new outbacks that they ordered in the color / option choice they wanted.
as none was available in their area for a dealer to trade for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, any worthwhile dealer will order you the exact car you want. They may ask for a good faith deposit to get things rolling but even that should be refundable.
You don't list a location but talk with the dealers in the vendor section of this forum. They all have internet sales departments who can arrange to get you the exact car you want without ever having to visit the dealership.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
346 Posts
My dealer didn't have the Outback I wanted on the lot, or any coming in soon, so they did a 'locate' within a couple hundred miles and found what I wanted at a another dealer. I put $500 (refundable) down and they traded one of their vehicles for mine. Whole process took about a week. I wanted a 2018 and they said if they couldn't locate one they were willing to order one but it would take longer.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6 '15 XV
90 Posts
You may go to the Subaru website, and build yours. There will be a code for that build that you can supply to the dealer, and they order it. I have ordered my 2 Subarus this way, and most of my other cars from various manufacturers. The Outback is built in Indiana, and the turn around can be pretty quick if you are lucky to around 30 days. You will have to leave a good deposit when you order.

Our dealer was happy to do so, offered a good price on each, and I didn't have to go there until I picked it up. I called a couple of dealers to find one that offered a fair price. Some buyers have to play games, and some dealers feel they have to play games to get the business. Know your pricing, and what fair is before you call. I told them what I wanted to do, and they told me what they could do.

What options do you want? I have the Touring 3.6 with less common footwell lighting, and did not want the common splash guards or rear seat back guards which are useless to me. The 3.6 is a nice engine, it's smooth and quiet. Mileage is good, and I'm glad to have the torque. I'm sure that the 2.5 would work for me if I didn't ferry clients around.

Our other car has less common footwell lighting, engine block heater and remote start.

·
Registered
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2011 WRX, 2015 Legacy 3.6r loaded and a 2016 Camaro 2SS.
124 Posts
I ordered my Legacy a week and a half ago. Should be here in 8 weeks or so. No reason for them to not order the car.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Ask your local dealer.

There are quite a few variables, the specific dealer, who you happen to talk to at that dealer, the local area/clientele, yourself, etc. There are dealers immensely helpful that go out of their way. Or they could be averse to picky, demanding, entitled customers and may be very discerning in who they assist.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,298 Posts
They may ask for a good faith deposit to get things rolling
Actually, if you place an order with a dealer, it's required by Subaru that the dealer have both a signed purchase order and can show funds on 'deposit' for that vehicle. If they audit the dealership and find they don't have those things for a car, the dealership WILL lose allocation.

And trust me, right now no one wants to lose allocation.

Note that for me, I just have to have a check that I staple to the purchase order (where we've agreed to the final price of the vehicle). We don't deposit it.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
5,289 Posts
Been looking around for several months now and never can find an Outback with the features (exterior/interior color) in the trim level I want even though both are available in that trim level. Also, 3.6's are almost impossible to find in my area.

Has anyone had experience with asking the dealer to do a custom order for you and how willing were they to do so? Or are they going to have an attitude of "your only choice is what's on the lot"?

Thanks
My only question is how close are you to Indianapolis? I would be happy to order any Subaru for you :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts