Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean H6. 2003 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean Former 2001 Subaru OBW VDC owner.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The H4's look tempting on these 2015 to 2020 Subaru OBW's. I got to wonder if the 3.6 is the better option if I were in the market for one..

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same question! I have an '08 3.0 LLBean that has been a workhorse and I'm looking at 2016's now. Tired of buying premium and doing 20mpg so I'd be hard pressed to buy another H6.

But... The extra HP and timing chain vs belt haven't been the worst.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,016 Posts
No they just burn oil now.

Get the 3.6.
Fix 2 (timing belt, too), break one.

That said, my '15 burns no oil. Heck, these days it doesn't even burn gas...

Reactions: SgtVic and Brucey

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,999 Posts
Depends on what you use it for. If you are going to be towing often or traveling fully loaded with a bunch of passengers and cargo the H6 is probably the better option. Same if you are going to go with a lift and/or bigger tires. Otherwise the 2.5 no longer has head gasket issues and has a timing chain instead of a belt. I've heard of a few using oil but it seems to be relatively uncommon. The oil level on my 2017 2.5i doesn't drop below the full mark between oil changes. In about 3-1/2 years now I may have had two or three times when I wished I could pass somebody a little quicker, but I don't have any real need for any extra horsepower.

There can be reasons to choose the H6, but I don't think reliability between the two is much of a factor.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,078 Posts
The H4's look tempting on these 2015 to 2020 Subaru OBW's. I got to wonder if the 3.6 is the better option if I were in the market for one..
you should line up your gen2 h6 and rent them out as RV's to the masses. (if they want to camp on the beach with the sharks, ...or in the woods with the mountain lions / bears.)

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,982 Posts
Fix 2 (timing belt, too), break one.

That said, my '15 burns no oil. Heck, these days it doesn't even burn gas...
Oh man. Timing belts are awful. I forgot about them.

My 3.6 burns no oil in 5k changes. I check right before changing.

My 2015 2.5 on the other hand.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,078 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean H6. 2003 Subaru OBW L.L. Bean Former 2001 Subaru OBW VDC owner.
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Depends on what you use it for. If you are going to be towing often or traveling fully loaded with a bunch of passengers and cargo the H6 is probably the better option. Same if you are going to go with a lift and/or bigger tires. Otherwise the 2.5 no longer has head gasket issues and has a timing chain instead of a belt. I've heard of a few using oil but it seems to be relatively uncommon. The oil level on my 2017 2.5i doesn't drop below the full mark between oil changes. In about 3-1/2 years now I may have had two or three times when I wished I could pass somebody a little quicker, but I don't have any real need for any extra horsepower.

There can be reasons to choose the H6, but I don't think reliability between the two is much of a factor.
How many miles are on yours? @Brucey @eagleeye what do you guys think of this? I’m getting more tempted for the H4, and it’s cheaper, but aw man that 3.6 is so powerful and smooth. I need help ....

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you should line up your gen2 h6 and rent them out as RV's to the masses. (if they want to camp on the beach with the sharks, ...or in the woods with the mountain lions / bears.)
You read minds...

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the same question! I have an '08 3.0 LLBean that has been a workhorse and I'm looking at 2016's now. Tired of buying premium and doing 20mpg so I'd be hard pressed to buy another H6.

But... The extra HP and timing chain vs belt haven't been the worst.
Read on in this thread, sounds like the new H4 have a chain! Wow, Now that is interesting..

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,016 Posts
I think 3.6 is still the way to go too..
That said, the oil burning was limited to certain 2011-15 FB25 2.5 engines.
And that said, read this thread and get back to us.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,304 Posts
head gaskets are not an issue for FB motors

oil consumption is for some

oil leaking is for all (front timing cover) of the FB motors

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After various YouTube reviews I’m sure I’d go with 3.6. Fuel economy isn’t much better with a H4. It’s better to have the power. @provels

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,692 Posts
There are enough documented cases of them breaking early that you should be in the same boat.
Who besides @rasterman, if I my ask?

And let's not include in this list those with an uncertain service history, or didn't get both the tensioner and idlers replaced at the same time, or got the belt oil soaked at some point, or were run without the covers and took a rock or whatever through the system.

Makes the list a lot shorter, yes?

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,982 Posts
Who besides @rasterman, if I my ask?

And let's not include in this list those with an uncertain service history, or didn't get both the tensioner and idlers replaced at the same time, or got the belt oil soaked at some point, or were run without the covers and took a rock or whatever through the system.

Makes the list a lot shorter, yes?
Mine.

The passenger side head crashed on my 2000. That engine was a complete rebuild with less than 100k after the original engine put a rod through the block.

It's what got me to buy the XV.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
446 Posts
That said, the oil burning was limited to certain 2011-15 FB25 2.5 engines.
And that said, read this thread and get back to us.
The FB25 is the engine with the oil consumption issues. It wasn't introduced in the OB till the '13 model year. It was on the Forester from '11 on. The oil issues were largely resolved in the OB by mid year '15 or so, maybe a year earlier.

@OP, the FB25 engine introduction pretty much resolved the head gasket issues.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
499 Posts
Mine only seems to use oil driving long distance highway when its hot out. Otherwise I am happy with it, we have 4 people a dog and the cargo box and loaded up it still has enough power to go anywhere we need.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts