Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
i dont doubt that 4 cylinder can do all that. im just judging from experience i had with 2007 forester for example. it feels like its over working all the time, i admit i dont drive speed limit. 70 in 50 80 in 60. i know it doesnt have cvt but still. so why make a 6 cyl with 5 speed? doesnt their new cvt can handle over 260lb of torque? i need to hear both sides . anyone?
Just get the 6, if you're not careful this is going to turn into another thread that gets shut down. Of course then again you need your license taken away anyway so maybe the 6 will get that done quicker. :twak:

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
232 Posts
I think the 2013 is as good as it can get for a vehicle with steel springs and a rather high center of gravity. It is definately better than my 2003 Outback was.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just get the 6, if you're not careful this is going to turn into another thread that gets shut down. Of course then again you need your license taken away anyway so maybe the 6 will get that done quicker. :twak:
thanks dad. i was asking about car not your opinion of how fast or slow i should be going

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,861 Posts
...the long and the short of it is there are no more shake problems on the gen4 OB...

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited/2017 black STI/2019 WRX(manual)
174 Posts
Our 12 does not shake, the 13 does not shake, that issue is over.

The ride on the 12 is definetly softer then the 13, the 13 is a very tight car(I like it). There are enough difference between the 2, that I won't get bored of driving either one.

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
i dont doubt that 4 cylinder can do all that. im just judging from experience i had with 2007 forester for example. it feels like its over working all the time, i admit i dont drive speed limit. 70 in 50 80 in 60. i know it doesnt have cvt but still. so why make a 6 cyl with 5 speed? doesnt their new cvt can handle over 260lb of torque? i need to hear both sides . anyone?
I generally do 10 over on the highway and major roads and have no issues with our 4-cylinder accelerating at speed. That being said the car is a bit slow off the line but it's to be expected.

The car definitely accelerates better when you put the car in manual and use the paddle shifters, it'll let you shift down to 3rd gear at 80mph.

All that being said, the car is not meant for high speed cruising if mpg is your concern. I was unable to hit 30mpg highway on our last road trip doing 80mph (70mph limit). To hit 30mpg I had to keep the speed between 65-70. Some users here have reported seeing an increase in mpg as they piled on the miles, we'll see.

·
Registered
982 Posts
thanks dad. i was asking about car not your opinion of how fast or slow i should be going
Unike your dad I don't care about you. No one should be going 20 over or under the limit. I don't really care what the speed limit is if everyone around you is going over 20 too but generally it doesn't work that way. People like you always crash into someone eventually so expect to deal with people like me calling you out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't really care what the speed limit is if everyone around you is going over 20 too but generally it doesn't work that way.
It's not as uncommon as you make it out to be. Pretty much every freeway I've been on in the southern and western US states the traffic was flowing at 90+ mph.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
It's not as uncommon as you make it out to be. Pretty much every freeway I've been on in the southern and western US states the traffic was flowing at 90+ mph.
If he lives in Florida then he probably sees both 20+ over and 20+ under on any road 45mph and up speed limit. LOL

Heck even across nomans land Nevada you rarely see people doing 90+ 75-80mph yes but rarely 90+ the stakes for epic wipeouts goes way up when your in the 90+ speeds regardless of what type of car you drive. Heck hitting a deer at 65mph is often lethal for the driver and front passengers. 90+ you better have your life insurance paid up.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
Besides, you don’t want to do (sustained) 95 on the Contis anyway. Open road up-to 85 (to pass, as needed) is all I care for, that’s why I keep right.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
It took a bit for me to fully appreciate the CVT and now I like it a lot. I confess that it's the first time my main vehicle has an auto. I've only driven my wife's automatics prior. The 2013 seems to have tweaked the ratios and behavior a bit compared to my mother in law's.

I'm not one of the rabid 4 or 6 fans like we have in some threads here. With 3 kids and a dog, I might not have the 4 if we didn't have a larger and more powerful vehicle in the family.
All my previous cars were Manual so this CVT is the first AT I've ever felt was worth buying. So far zero complaints and it tows our trailers great. My major complaint is coming from a Legacy to the OB given there is no Legacy wagon choice anymore. The OB drives and handles like a bloated pig compared to the legacy.

·
Registered
982 Posts
If traffic dictates it thats fine, but 70 in a 50? Thats not a freeway, thats a slower hwy at best.

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
All my previous cars were Manual so this CVT is the first AT I've ever felt was worth buying. So far zero complaints and it tows our trailers great. My major complaint is coming from a Legacy to the OB given there is no Legacy wagon choice anymore. The OB drives and handles like a bloated pig compared to the legacy.
My mother in law's year old car is not as firm as my 2013 but no way a bloated pig. It's subjective but the 2013 handling is much of why I own it. It's great for my needs that include being off pavement 1 or several times a week.

In one 380 mile trip mostly free way nothing shook. The car is great on a feeway, competent on the narrow and uneven roads I have to travel, quiet on a boulevard, and works on the 4x4 a 4x4 only service road I have to use often.

My mother in law's year older version is the more luxurious ride around town and not as good in cross winds.

Not being a Legacy and being perfect for me means no complaints.

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,975 Posts
I've traveled throughout the South and Southwest and have never been on any road were traffic flowed 90+ mph. Sure, some people go that fast, but it's certainly not the overall flow of traffic.

Now that might change once the toll road connecting Austin and San Antonio opens with a 85 mph speed limit. :rolleyes:

21 - 36 of 36 Posts