Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Do you think splash guards and rear bumper protector are necessary for a OB? They really work a lot for protecting the car?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT, 2015 3.6R Ltd (sold)
951 Posts
The splash guards, maybe. I am glad I have them, but they are relatively short and don't make a huge difference. Fortunately the heavy plastic cladding around the rocker panels catches most of what they miss in the front.

The rear bumper protector, definitely.

There are hundreds of Outbacks in our metro area (Denver) and I'm pretty sure that about 90% of them that are ordered for inventory come in with these two items already installed.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 CVT
36 Posts
To give you a quick answer: Yes.

But it also depends on your lifestyle and what you use the car for. Colorado gets a lot of snow, I go skiing and mountain biking so the splash guards really keep the debris from the road off of the paint. The rear bumper cover is great for me because I have dogs. It also comes in handy on road trips and ski resort parking lots. The splash guards will probably give you a higher resale value because of the condition of the paint. Just go for it!

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
I took the rear bumper cover but not the splash guard. 1 look at the tiny splash guard in 2010 OB, I ask myself "do they really do anything?"
again, just my opinion as I am still waiting for the delivery of my OB.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Premium w Eyesight
1,510 Posts
Mine came with splash guards.
I’m adding the rear bumper strips to protect against other cars hitting me in parking lots, and am adding the wheel Arch molding kit to protect against chips. They use a lot of salt in the winter here and it seems like that is where rust always starts.

·
Registered
2015 Tungsten 2.5 Limited w/eyesight
227 Posts
I got the rear cover and the splash guards. I also got the wheel arch moldings. They really dress up the car and provide protection from parking lot dings. They are expensive though...

·
Registered
'03 OBW LTD Black/Black, '10 2.5i Premium Cypress Green
2,030 Posts
The rear bumper cover is a must-have.

We've got the splashguards, but as noted, they're incredibly short. Not sure how much they really do.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R Limited
99 Posts
dakboy said:
The rear bumper cover is a must-have.

We've got the splashguards, but as noted, they're incredibly short. Not sure how much they really do.
Ditto!

I got the splash guards and they don't extend much past where the point it without them. Oh well. I guess the one extra pebble it stops is worth it.

But you have to get the rear bumper cover / protector. Loading things into the back will scrape it up quickly without it.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 CVT
36 Posts
I've been driving in snow recently with a lot of sand and mag chloride being put down, and I can tell you the splash guards are a huge help. They are collecting a lot of snow/ice/sand/debris. I do agree with other owners who say that they are a bit too small. 2 more inches would be perfect! I really want to get some arch moldings, but they are so expensive.

·
Registered
2010 OB 2.5 Premium
84 Posts
Bump cover definitely. But splash guard is too short not worth to buy.

I am thinking change it to a aftermaket mud flap.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I got the front bumper under guard for my Premium the other day and put it on. It's pretty easy to add. Appears to me mostly for show but I like how it looks and it was free with the Subaru Bucks they sent me for buying the car. It's standard on the Limited models.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,289 Posts
mtberman said:
I got the front bumper under guard for my Premium the other day and put it on. It's pretty easy to add. Appears to me mostly for show but I like how it looks and it was free with the Subaru Bucks they sent me for buying the car. It's standard on the Limited models.
are you sure abt. that being standard on limited model? My wife hates that and that is 1 specifics option she didn't want.....

Can they be removed easily?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Yeah, it's standard on the Ltd. It is molded with hooks on the top that 'grab' the under bumper area and it's shaped to just snap right over it. It is secured with adhesive tape at the top. After you've clipped it on, you drill six 1/4 holes through the underside of the plastic and insert six clips to hold it on. Instructions are at techinfo.Subaru.com. Should be simple to remove by pulling out the six little clips and then prying it off

1 - 15 of 15 Posts