1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's a doozy.

Recently, this summer, got 2019 Outback base {Cdn trim]

Have about 3600 kms on Odo.

Since recently got and I tend to be OCD about stuff [ask the wife!!] I have been trying to track mileage combined and city vs highway. So that means on present tank I will write down trip A kms for city and hwy.

Example: Trip A 195-242 kms City, 242-282 kms Hwy. I'll reset Trip A after each fill up.

Here's the weird thing that recently noticed... had written Trip A 242-282 kms Hwy and then not driven until next day but when started Outback next day the Trip A read 285 kms... thought just a typo on my part.

Yesterday I double and triple checked before wrote Trip A kms once parked Outback. Yet, today, the kms are 4 kms higher... WTF :)

So, decided to check again today... drove for 15 mins then took pics of both Trip A and B before turning key to off. Will check tomorrow :)

Anyone else experience this??

Note 1. When first drove today... heard thump like sound at first stop sign... could not figure out but then saw that hood was not fully closed when parked... Wife says I'm too gentle when closing hood... from day before when checked engine oil [just a bit above full after overnight].

Note 2. Washed Outback for first time today... Family was shocked as usually wash our vehicles like twice a year!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yet, today, the kms are 4 kms higher... WTF
Your wife is messing with your OCD. She's taking the outback around the block while you are sleeping.

Are you only noticing this on A trip? Or does this mysterious bump in mileage happen to all odometers?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your wife is messing with your OCD. She's taking the outback around the block while you are sleeping.

Are you only noticing this on A trip? Or does this mysterious bump in mileage happen to all odometers?
Ha Ha :)

Have only checked Trip A... but yesterday took pics of both so will see when drive later on.

No one else driving as keys with us :)

·
Registered
16,287 Posts
Interesting. Never noticed that on mine, but then I only check the trip meter reading when I reset it after refilling the gas tank. I record both the trip meter and the main odometer each time.

Record the odometer reading when the trip meter is reset, and then when refilling the car, record both again. See if the distance traveled according to odometer agrees with the trip meter +/- one km. In my case, both usually agree within a km. (The odometer doesn't have "tenths" so some difference due to rounding is possible.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. Never noticed that on mine, but then I only check the trip meter reading when I reset it after refilling the gas tank. I record both the trip meter and the main odometer each time.

Record the odometer reading when the trip meter is reset, and then when refilling the car, record both again
. See if the distance traveled according to odometer agrees with the trip meter +/- one km. In my case, both usually agree within a km. (The odometer doesn't have "tenths" so some difference due to rounding is possible.)
Yup, do likewise... record Odo, Trip A, Trip B once refill tank... still got more then half tank so refill probably next week.

I likely would have not noticed this as usually just keep a mental note of aprrox how many hwy kms done while doing mostly city driving [just subtract Odo reading once off hwy vs Odo reading when got on hwy]. Or I'll write down the approx kms driven Hwy and add up when refill.

Don't know what prompted me this time to use Trip A readings but here we are!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
Danver
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing