Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume there are some things that are better to get aftermarket and some that aren't - either not a better deal, a pain to get installed or something along those lines.

I'd love to know all the items that are better to order with the car rather than get them installed later, but I'm specifically curious about these:

Wheel Arch Molding (for example, these sound like you can't find them cheaper elsewhere and they're a pain to install: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...nt/20436-wheel-arch-moldings-why-so-high.html)
Splash Guards
Rear Seat Back Protector
Rear Bumper Cover

So, better to order with the car or can I buy them afterwards with just as much ease?

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
Peruse the instructions. It depends on your capability (or what’s PITA to you), if you’re going to have them installed anyway then have them pre/on-delivery.<O:p</O:p
Do you like to work on cars, are you a DIYer? None on your list are daunting to me (nor require special tools) after-sale, plus you get to pay cash ($0 Int) for them.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
I'm not familiar with Subaru OEM parts but most manufacturers come with fairly detailed installation instructions. I always advise making any add on purchases separate if you're financing your car. That way you're not paying interest on those pieces.

Even if you have to have them installed I'd still advise going OEM and having the factory install it. This will ensure they're installed correctly and there's no risk of voiding your warranty for whatever reason.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
You are relatively safe with aftermarket appearance and protection stuff.
You are taking your chances with aftermarket electronics.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,284 Posts
I assume there are some things that are better to get aftermarket and some that aren't - either not a better deal, a pain to get installed or something along those lines.

I'd love to know all the items that are better to order with the car rather than get them installed later, but I'm specifically curious about these:

Wheel Arch Molding (for example, these sound like you can't find them cheaper elsewhere and they're a pain to install: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...nt/20436-wheel-arch-moldings-why-so-high.html)
Splash Guards
Rear Seat Back Protector
Rear Bumper Cover

So, better to order with the car or can I buy them afterwards with just as much ease?
If you looking at the Limited trim, I think rear bumper cover comes std. (it was back in 2010)... Not 100% sure if this is the case NOW.

A lot of dealer salesman conveniently "forgot" to mention this to the customer.....

·
Registered
2013 Outback Ltd 2.5 w/ moon light
52 Posts
[...] plus you get to pay cash ($0 Int) for them.<o:p</o
I always advise making any add on purchases separate if you're financing your car. That way you're not paying interest on those pieces.
I guess I do not understand this reasoning. What is stopping you from adding that amount to your down payment, or to your first monthly payment?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Make sure it's not being factored into the price of the vehicle because you will be paying interest (albeit a small amount) on those parts. It's not a huge amount but there's no sense in throwing money away.

Rather than fussing with making it part of your down payment I'd suggest doing a separate transaction for it. Give the money to the parts guy.

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,284 Posts
I guess I do not understand this reasoning. What is stopping you from adding that amount to your down payment, or to your first monthly payment?
Unless you ended up with a series 78 loan.... If those thing still around....

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,284 Posts
If you're not handy and needed all the cargo net, Order the car with just the the side cargo net. Then , dealer/SUbaru will have to install all 4 muchroom pegs. You can then order online the rear and rear seatback cargo net. They use the same pegs as the side cargo net......

·
Registered
2016 Tungsten Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight. My 6th Subaru.
332 Posts
If you looking at the Limited trim, I think rear bumper cover comes std. (it was back in 2010)... Not 100% sure if this is the case NOW.
My 2013 Limited did not come with the bumper cover. I bought it after the sale and it was easy to install.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,669 Posts
I got cargo tray, roof rack cross bars, corner bumper protectors and a cargo net from ebay.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
Make sure it's not being factored into the price of the vehicle because you will be paying interest (albeit a small amount) on those parts. It's not a huge amount but there's no sense in throwing money away.

Rather than fussing with making it part of your down payment I'd suggest doing a separate transaction for it. Give the money to the parts guy.
I never financed a car so I may be missing something here but using your logic if you are throwing money away paying a small amount of interest on the accessories aren't you throwing away more money paying interest on the car itself? I would think your suggestion of paying the parts guy upfront for accessories would also apply to paying the sales guy upfront for the car.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I don't know how you're paying for your car so I can only speak hypothetically. Not everybody can afford a new car outright so it makes sense to finance it at what are usually very reasonable rates. I don't regard that as throwing money away. It's akin to mortgaging your house. We're talking about add-ons and only add-ons.

If you're financing your car at 3.9% interest and you buy $500 worth of accessories that are lumped into the price of the vehicle, you're basically paying an extra $19.50 since you'd be paying interest on them. Yeah, over 72 months that's only $.27 per month but it's still $19.50 altogether. Why not pocket that amount and just buy the parts separately? If you can afford to purchase them out of pocket and were planning on doing so you should do them as a separate transaction. You can probably cut one check for it all if that's what you were planning on doing but make sure they don't tack it onto the purchase price of the vehicle because you could end up paying interest on the parts.

Does that make more sense?

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
I don't know how you're paying for your car so I can only speak hypothetically. Not everybody can afford a new car outright so it makes sense to finance it at what are usually very reasonable rates. I don't regard that as throwing money away. It's akin to mortgaging your house. We're talking about add-ons and only add-ons.

If you're financing your car at 3.9% interest and you buy $500 worth of accessories that are lumped into the price of the vehicle, you're basically paying an extra $19.50 since you'd be paying interest on them. Yeah, over 72 months that's only $.27 per month but it's still $19.50 altogether. Why not pocket that amount and just buy the parts separately? If you can afford to purchase them out of pocket and were planning on doing so you should do them as a separate transaction. You can probably cut one check for it all if that's what you were planning on doing but make sure they don't tack it onto the purchase price of the vehicle because you could end up paying interest on the parts.

Does that make more sense?
Not really. If you think it's such a great rate you might as well finance the parts. Or if it's not such a great rate maybe you should put more down on the car. It really doesn't matter if you are financing car or parts. It still a certain dollar amount at a certain rate. I don't see what this has to do with "Are there options that are not better to buy aftermarket/after sale?"

·
Registered
474 Posts
It was just an aside. I was actually recommending OEM if you have the option because fit is almost always better and you can have the dealership install them to avoid any warranty snafus that can come with aftermarket parts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.