Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Aside from the myriad of interior sounds which I will eventually hunt down (mostly from the subwoofer), I feel like the motor on this car is fairly loud. Some days I feel like I'm hearing valves, some days piston slap... thing sounds like a diesel truck some days.

So, is this just how they are? I got the car with 110K miles so, I have no idea if that's how it always sounded or if it's a result of old age. I know of the whole 'unequal header' thing that subaru's have. I'm coming from an old Honda civic, which was relatively quiet.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,304 Posts
Quiet, they ain't. Can't say I'd compare one to a diesel truck though.

Piston slap is common and harmless as long as it goes away when warmed up. Exhaust leaks are common.

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exhaust leaks are common.
Could you elaborate on this? Do you mean where the headers connect to engine? I'm going to crawl under the car this weekend to find a rattling head shield, I can check for this aswell.

And diesel truck more so in the quality of the sound rather than the volume. Like, a diesel truck with the volume knob at 5 haha.

·
Registered
gypsy danger: 07 outback 2.5i touring. often broken?
158 Posts
Mines very noisy when it first starts up. It rattles, and sounds like a old flat tappet engine. The sounds also change with temp. Being my first winter with mine, I was quite concerned the first few cold mornings, but it goes away after a minute or so and so far hasn't exploded.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Outback H6 3.0 LL Bean
1,203 Posts
Yep. The older ones were even worse. At least the '05+ cars don't have as much wind noise as the previous generation did.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,304 Posts
Could you elaborate on this? Do you mean where the headers connect to engine? I'm going to crawl under the car this weekend to find a rattling head shield, I can check for this aswell.

And diesel truck more so in the quality of the sound rather than the volume. Like, a diesel truck with the volume knob at 5 haha.
I mean, any gasket is suspect from headers back. Heatshields too, but that mostly just gives an annoying rattle until you apply a hose clamp or a friend with a welder.

Depending on your location, 9 year old exhaust gaskets might be getting leaky from age/corrosion.

·
Registered
2009 OB 2.5i 4EAT
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so far hasn't exploded.
Sort of the mentality I'm starting to adopt haha.

Depending on your location, 9 year old exhaust gaskets might be getting leaky from age/corrosion.
I'll have to find the photo of the 1/8" uniform salt coating from the last snow storm we had :grin2: I'll check all of the exhaust thoroughly then. Thanks.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
I'll have to find the photo of the 1/8" uniform salt coating from the last snow storm we had :grin2: I'll check all of the exhaust thoroughly then. Thanks.
The salt will help. Look for the sooty salt. :)

I don't know if I'd characterize exhaust leaks as common, but they can happen. Either way these cars are louder than a lot of others, even for their era. Especially at cold start.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,578 Posts
Some times the engine compartment underbody splash shield disappears. It's amazing how well that thing muffles engine noise (from the outside).

Generally, the EJ series makes some clatter, but should quiet down as it warms-up. However, excessive noise (valve or otherwise) may mean it's time to do some long-term maintenance (valve lash adjustment, heat shield check, timing components, etc).

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,814 Posts
weak timing belt tensioner can cause noise

just enjoy the lack of second-order harmonics lol!

·
Registered
06 Outback 2.5i, 06 BMW 325xi wagon, 02 2.5rs, 82 CB750, Polaris XC SP 500, and a single speed bike.
869 Posts
Yep. The older ones were even worse. At least the '05+ cars don't have as much wind noise as the previous generation did.
Curse those goddamned window gussets!

·
Registered
2005 Outback H6 3.0 LL Bean
1,203 Posts
I loved my '02, but the bump window down, bump window up, bump window down, bump window up routine got pretty old after a while. Gen 2 owners know what I'm talking about...

So, enjoy your '09, OP! :29:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts