1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback 2.5i VDC
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) Where are you?
2) What car are you driving?
3) Any club or suggested meet, or route tips?

:)

1) Alnö (outside Sundsvall), Sweden
2) Outback -06 2.5i 4EAT
3) -

·
Registered
05 manual XTL stage 2 with post facelift JDM front end
348 Posts
1) Where are you? I will be in Tromso-Norway for a little while (PhD study)
2) What car are you driving? will bring my car from the US--A Subaru Legacy Outback 2.5 XT Limited
3) Any club or suggested meet, or route tips? not yet as I need to know the country a bit and play in the snow first :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice. Cars are expensive in Norway due to tax. Tromsö is beautiful. I visited Harstad (near Tromsö) a few years ago and a relative lives there.
I bet there's alot of fine routes to explore.

·
Registered
348 Posts
yeah you are right that cars are expensive there. I went on the Norwegian Subaru site and saw the price of a new outback. I could not believe it! But again, I am originally from Tahiti (south pacific) and cars are also very expensive there. That's why I will bring the car I bought in the states to Norway which I got at an amazing deal. I also contacted the customs in Tromso and they told me that if I stay up to a year there, I would not pay duty tax. I am not sure how long I'll stay there but I hope about that time...
And yeah, we can't wait to explore the country with our car!! :5:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tahiti seems great, i've been to Fiji for three weeks backpacking, and it was not bad!

I bet you can make a good deal by selling your car after a year. Welcome as new 'neighbour' :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Welcome as new 'neighbour'
Thanks! Very nice of you.

And yep, Tahiti is great especially if you like the ocean, snorkeling or surfing (which I do a lot). But as much as I love my outback, I don't think I'll bring it back to Tahiti--a little truck is a bit more suitable there. But again, I may change my mind..

If you don't mind me asking, I have a couple things I am trying to modify (if I can) before I come to Norway:

1. You have a rear fog light right? I believe it is the left light on the trunk right? cause here, the lights on our trunk are just back up light. I'd like to modify mine so that it becomes a rear fog light...Do you have a separate switch for it on your dashboard or something? Or does the rear fog light turn on when you turn on the front fog lights? Picture of the switch would be awesome!
2. In America, the front blinkers (amber colors) stay continually on when we turn on our front headlights during nighttime. I know in Tahiti or France, it is not the case. These blinkers are only on intermittently when we signal turning . Is that the case for you?
3. Does your front headlights stay always on even during the day? They now have this feature here in America for safety reasons. They stay on but they are not as bright as if it was night time.
4. Finally I would love to see how your instrument cluster looks like--how different it is to mine...I can also post a picture of mine so we can compare..I just want to see your speedometer, and the lights that turn on in the cluster when you switch on the headlights and stuff.

If you can't do that. That's OK. But I am just trying to get ready in advance.

thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
outbackendurosx said:

Thanks! Very nice of you.

And yep, Tahiti is great especially if you like the ocean, snorkeling or surfing (which I do a lot). But as much as I love my outback, I don't think I'll bring it back to Tahiti--a little truck is a bit more suitable there. But again, I may change my mind..

If you don't mind me asking, I have a couple things I am trying to modify (if I can) before I come to Norway:

1. You have a rear fog light right? I believe it is the left light on the trunk right? cause here, the lights on our trunk are just back up light. I'd like to modify mine so that it becomes a rear fog light...Do you have a separate switch for it on your dashboard or something? Or does the rear fog light turn on when you turn on the front fog lights? Picture of the switch would be awesome!
2. In America, the front blinkers (amber colors) stay continually on when we turn on our front headlights during nighttime. I know in Tahiti or France, it is not the case. These blinkers are only on intermittently when we signal turning . Is that the case for you?
3. Does your front headlights stay always on even during the day? They now have this feature here in America for safety reasons. They stay on but they are not as bright as if it was night time.
4. Finally I would love to see how your instrument cluster looks like--how different it is to mine...I can also post a picture of mine so we can compare..I just want to see your speedometer, and the lights that turn on in the cluster when you switch on the headlights and stuff.

If you can't do that. That's OK. But I am just trying to get ready in advance.

thanks!
1. Yes but rear fog lights are red (like STRONG brakelights). Our white is also just backup light.
2. Blinkers are only when turning.
3. Yep, dipped beam always on
4. i'll try to snap some pictures for you later

·
Registered
348 Posts
1. Yes but rear fog lights are red (like STRONG brakelights). Our white is also just backup light.
thanks for your reply. So does your rear fog light have a separate switch or turn on when you turn on the front ones? Do you know by chance the wattage of the light bulb? I'll try to install it ASAP...

Tack for your help! I appreciate it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
outbackendurosx said:

thanks for your reply. So does your rear fog light have a separate switch or turn on when you turn on the front ones? Do you know by chance the wattage of the light bulb? I'll try to install it ASAP...

Tack for your help! I appreciate it.
Yes it has a separate switch, but it is when you turn the knob to switch on the front fog lights, you then turn the knob a bit more to 'click' it on. You can not have the rear ones turned on without the front ones (that's a mistake for in sweden, you are not allowed to use front fog + dipped beam, but i guess it is okay in some way since it is EU classed as ok).

my house:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=62.395421,17.520747&spn=0.016167,0.049396&z=15

·
Registered
348 Posts
Dude, you are the man!! :6: Thanks for your pictures. I'll take a couple right now and post them so you can see how mine looks. So far, they look very similar except that mine has a bit more sporty look (because it is a turbo I guess), and I don't have all the gears LED since I have a manual transmission. I was more worried about the warning lights and such but they look really similar except that my brake warning light says "BRAKE" instead of the exclamation point, and my "check engine light" does not show an engine but says 'check engine'. Other than that, it looks pretty close. Oh and my speedo has both miles per hour and km/h.
Man it is already snowing at your place!! I can see on your windshield..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
outbackendurosx said:
Dude, you are the man!! :6: Thanks for your pictures. I'll take a couple right now and post them so you can see how mine looks. So far, they look very similar except that mine has a bit more sporty look (because it is a turbo I guess), and I don't have all the gears LED since I have a manual transmission. I was more worried about the warning lights and such but they look really similar except that my brake warning light says "BRAKE" instead of the exclamation point, and my "check engine light" does not show an engine but says 'check engine'. Other than that, it looks pretty close. Oh and my speedo has both miles per hour and km/h.
Man it is already snowing at your place!! I can see on your windshield..
cool, quite the same set up then.
i just got the kids to bed and snapped the pictures. Here is a video for you with some fresh powder snow

startup click here

Not much snow but soon we'll hopefully have 1m :D

roof top box and dual HID xenon installed too.

·
Registered
348 Posts
hey thanks for the video!! Your lights are real strong. I need a couple of those. I just took a couple pictures of the cluster. You can see them here

It is interesting to compare our models. I think your headlights look a bit better. I feel they did a better job with the lights (front and rear). On mine, you can note the orange reflectors they added on the blinkers. Yours looks nice and white I think. Cool!!

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 3.6R (2011), earlier a proud owner of an Impreza GT 2.0 Turbo (wagon) MY99
39 Posts
Sweden

1) Where are you?

1) Stockholm, Sweden
2) Impreza GT 2.0 Turbo (wagon) MY99. Just ordered an Outback 3.6R.
3) Initial member of SSI (Swedish Subaru Impreza Club) - that now changed name to SSC (Swedish Subaru Club) to welcome other Subaru fans.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Welcome Manor!

Maybe I should do the same now that I am here far north....

1) Where are you?

1) Tromsø Norway
2) Subaru Outback 2005 XT Limited manual trans USDM (250 HP :D)
3) not sure...

·
Registered
2009 Outback 2.5 GenIII
5 Posts
1: Rotterdam NL
2: Outback 2.5 2009
3: None yet..... but about 3 months from now me and my Outback can be seen for 3 weeks somewhere on the route Göteborg-Arvika-Mora-Ostersund-Mora-Arvika-Göteborg ..... most chance in Triangle Mora/Ostersund/Storsätern

..... can't wait:2:

Last time wenn we were there our Freelander TD4 broke down in Arvika and had to be transported to the nearest LandRover-dealer .... in Vänersborg 200km south :gasp:
So we kicked the Freelander out ... and as there is a Subaru Dealer in Göteborg, Arvika and Rättvik (and close near us) we gave the Outback a warm welcome in our home ...eh.. on our driveway :D

·
Registered
2010 Outback Comfort 2.0D
9 Posts
1) Where are you?

1) Czech Republic, but we move to Sweden in this autumn for next four years...
2) Outback 2.0D
3) not yet :)

·
Registered
Outback h6 2001
8 Posts
1) Where are you?

1) Tartu, Estonia
2) 2001 H6 VDC Outback
3) No club (yet)

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.0 boxer diesel manual
14 Posts
1) Kuopio, mid-Finland
2) Outback 2.0 diesel
3) Local Subaru forum member, not planning to join actual car clubs

Looking forward to test the Subaru on the ice soon enough :)

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
I have added/changed/converted the left rear white backup light into rear fog light (like OEM in EU) - search this forum for details.
You have to run a wire from the rear left backup (white) light to the dash, add a switch there and tap into the fuse box nearby. Then replace the rear left white backup light bulb with 21 W red bulb (or equivalent in LED red bulb).
I have done this modification a few months ago and it works fine - see pictures below.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
1) Where are you?

1) Alnö (outside Sundsvall), Sweden
2) Outback -06 2.5i 4EAT
3) -
My favourite place up in your neck of the woods was Jokkmokk... I have driven many times from Trollhattan to Jokkmokk (while working for SAAB) both in winter and summer....
Cheers!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts