Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2013 outback 2.5 prem
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using for '13 outbacks with the larger fog lights Yellow laminx or yellow bulbs? If using bulbs what size and where to find. Thanks

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,016 Posts
People are using both, sometimes together. I wimped and went the Laminex route. Way easier than replacing the bulbs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Amazon

I just bought a cheap 4.99 roll off Amazon.. I can come back with a pic or two. At the price it's worth a shot

·
Registered
2012 4LT Centennial Edition Grand Sport Corvette convertible
496 Posts
Convert it to HID and use a 3k color bulb. I'd recommend 50W since the yellow doesn't put out as much light. I didn't want yellow so I used a 6k bulb.

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,537 Posts
I went with the Hella Optilux H11 bulbs. Found them on Amazon for a good price. Ordered a pair for a friend from work, at the same time and qualified for free shipping.

So far I am very happy with the light output and the color. I would highly recommend this upgrade.

·
Registered
2013 outback 2.5 prem
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is h11 the correct size for '13? I stopped by the dealership last winter the parts guy said there was a part change half way through the production year. I cant remember if my owners manual was right or if he was, but the sizes didnt match.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Is h11 the correct size for '13? I stopped by the dealership last winter the parts guy said there was a part change half way through the production year. I cant remember if my owners manual was right or if he was, but the sizes didnt match.
Take the bulb out and check... mine is H11... fog light bulbs are easy accessible...as far as I know, the bulb hasn't change in a couple of years - the OEM P/N is 84920YA000

·
Registered
96 Legacy OBW, EJ22 swap, 2" suspension lift, 215/75r15, HIDs, 06 WRX interior swap
335 Posts
I have the vinyl and like it for the added rock chip protection. I also enjoy the look of the yellow lens.

ultimately depends on if you want it to look modded or stock while parked.

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon Base, 4EAT
122 Posts
I have the vinyl and like it for the added rock chip protection. I also enjoy the look of the yellow lens.

ultimately depends on if you want it to look modded or stock while parked.

This.

I have heard that yellow light is most penetrating in poor weather conditions ie. rain, snow, fog. So there's that advantage.

But mostly I just thought it looked cool, I enjoy the yellow tint on the road and reflection in the street signs. Plus I believe that the different color can attract more attention regarding other drivers. Whether that be from cops or not it still works and I haven't been stopped by police.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,358 Posts
This.

I have heard that yellow light is most penetrating in poor weather conditions ie. rain, snow, fog. So there's that advantage.
It's not that yellow penetrates, it's that blue gets disproportionately reflected back towards you by the fog right in front of you. A close reflection of a lot of blue light can cause your pupils to shrink in response, and then you become less sensitive to light in general. So if you can prevent the blue light bounce by blocking it in a filter at the source, your overall sensitivity to light will be improved and you can see better.

This is why high beams are bad in fog- lots of that light (some of it blue) gets bounced right back at you and the extra light on the road gets cancelled out by reduced night vision. It can be very hard to perceive because our eyes and brains try to normalize very quickly, but that's why we have fancy research and road safety tests.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
1,108 Posts
I know this is an old post, but thought I'd update with my experience with Laminx. I purchased the set for my fog lights for $20. The pre-cut size is perfect, but do not trust the instructions that state you can dry mount the film. I tried that, and ended up with a lot of air bubbles that are hard to remove. Definitely go with the wet mount instructions using plain water and a squeege.

The correct part number for '15-'17 Outback foglights is: Lamin-x S131Y

·
Registered
367 Posts
I know this is an old post, but thought I'd update with my experience with Laminx. I purchased the set for my fog lights for $20. The pre-cut size is perfect, but do not trust the instructions that state you can dry mount the film. I tried that, and ended up with a lot of air bubbles that are hard to remove. Definitely go with the wet mount instructions using plain water and a squeege.

The correct part number for '15-'17 Outback foglights is: Lamin-x S131Y

Still luvin my yellow fogs a year later, also have clear on headlamps, all lamin-x..

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,221 Posts
Running yellow Laminx and Nokya Hyper yellow bulbs in Mal.

Getting ready to ditch the Laminx by swapping out a full of water foglight assembly for a not full of water one, the stuff does not survive removal to reinstall.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RS w/ Eyesight: ECU & TCU Tuned by XRT, Raptor Headers, Magnaflow Cats, Resonator & Muffs, Drilled & Slotted Brakes, TDCK Trans. Insert & Sway Bar Bushings, Skid Plates, RSB Upgrade, PIAA Ye
110 Posts
Well, I did yellow PIAA fog light bulbs awhile and liked them so much, I decided to go overboard. Got PIAA Ion yellow fogs on a SSD light bar, and Laminx film for the headlights and OEM fogs. Yeah, it's total over kill, but daaam can I see better in blizzards!!

BTW, the Laminx film was PITA to put on headlights...SO MANY COMPOUND CURVES to stretch and heat and squeegee and...and...and. Seriously, next time I want that film on anything complex shaped like that I'll find a pro to install it. The fog lights and bar were easier, even though I had to take the bumper off and wiring, etc. LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
444 Posts
I ran it on my fogs for about a week then took it off, the philips LEDs are yellow enough when on- i liked the cleaner look of no film on the fogs.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
20 Posts
I'm running both. I have the yellow Lamin-X film, with the LED fog's from Diode Dynamics. Love it so far!

Any chance you've got a pic of this somewhere? I've got the Diode Dynamics SLF LED fog lights myself and I've been curious what the yellow lamin-x would look like over those.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts